The Student Room Group

Bath vs Southampton for mechanical engineering ?

I have Identical offers from both but am having a bit of a challenge deciding between them. (My insurance is going to be Exeter, I just need to pick a firm)

Southampton has:
+ Better facilities
+ Nicer On-Campus Vibe (its quite a bit newer)
+ Potentially a more interactive course.
- City Is not ideal in the slightest compared to Bath (this is really the only major downside)

Bath Has:
+ Slightly higher ranking for mechanical engineering and generally higher total rank.
+ A VERY nice location which I would actually imagine living in.
- Far worse facilities (and a weird vibe from the old engineering buildings on campus)
- Course which seems to get less student satisfaction.
+ Great industry Links.

I have no clue which to choose so I would like to get the perspective of someone that goes to either of them.
(edited 11 months ago)
Both are great universities & have excellent reputations for engineering. You’re going to be in a great position either way.

TBH I wouldn’t worry about the industry partnerships they’ll be excellent at both.

Ranking is irrelevant (both are comparable reputation). And student satisfaction is unfortunately hard to interpret, often it’s influenced by how many students participate in the surveys/do universities encourage/incentivise participation as well as general atmosphere fluctuations im student body…

Id say go to the overall university & city you prefer.
Reply 2
Original post by lucas_b
I have Identical offers from both but am having a bit of a challenge deciding between them. (My insurance is going to be Exeter, I just need to pick a firm)
Southampton has:
+ Better facilities
+ Nicer On-Campus Vibe (its quite a bit newer)
+ Potentially a more interactive course.
- City Is not ideal in the slightest compared to Bath (this is really the only major downside)
Bath Has:
+ Slightly higher ranking for mechanical engineering and generally higher total rank.
+ A VERY nice location which I would actually imagine living in.
- Far worse facilities (and a weird vibe from the old engineering buildings on campus)
- Course which seems to get less student satisfaction.
+ Great industry Links.
I have no clue which to choose so I would like to get the perspective of someone that goes to either of them.

Hi I was just wondering which u decided to pick in the end/did u get in? I’m debating the same stuff , I didn’t go to visit Southampton but I saw Bath and I quite liked it so im not too sure
Reply 3
Original post by kayeem
Hi I was just wondering which u decided to pick in the end/did u get in? I’m debating the same stuff , I didn’t go to visit Southampton but I saw Bath and I quite liked it so im not too sure

I'm currently studying Aerospace engineering (year 1) at the University of Southampton and I share 5 out of my 6 modules with Mechanical engineering students. I totally recommend it.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest