The Student Room Group

How to get a 1st in Maths/Physics

I have just completed my 1st year with 60ish%.

I am aiming for a first at the end of it. I didn't give 100% but perhaps would have hoped for around 5 more % given the effort put in.

I think another 3% could have came from taking every coursework 100% seriously, and module selection looks more in my favour next year (dropping a lab one).

I'm wondering what I need to do/ any tecniques to get that extra 10%.

(In terms of potential, I'm not too sure, I got the highest alevels at my school and equivalent in UCAS to a typical Oxbridge entrant, but I'm sure this is the case for most entrants at a prestigious university )

Some questions I have:

- How do the 3years (say) compare ? Do you get a 1st in all years , 2nd and 3rd, or leave the majority to the 3rd.

- Which is easier to achieve a 1st? Obviously the content of the first year is easier, but to me, topics seemed widespread and only touching them , not going into any detail - particularly the physics. Do the years become more narrowed down and detailed? Does the latter suit some better?

-Any general tips for getting a 1st in maths/physics or maths&physics?
(In fact, one attribute which I know probably didn't help is consulting other peers...

Many thanks for any input what so ever, really appreciated !!
Reply 1
Go to every lecture and answer every question in every homework.

I used to think that wasn't necessary at one point - it really is.
Reply 2
For me, attend every lecture (well, I missed a few due to working too long the night before in third year...and hangovers in first year) and most of all give everything you do 100% effort.
If you still aren't getting the results you want then you might just not the be the kind of person to get a first. The view I took was that if I gave everything I could in my final year and I didn't get a first then at least I can't blame myself for not trying. I would have been mortified if I didn't work as hard as I should and therefore didn't get the result I wanted.
Go to any and all lectures. Apart from that do all the tutorials and past papers more than once (if you have time). If your stuck ask questions no matter how stupid you think it is.

Figure out how you learn if you don't know all ready (visual, auditory or tactile) and use strategies devised for that sort of learning. You can find out what type you are by taking any simple quiz ( which can be found online just by googling). For example I'm an auditory learner so I say things to myself and use a dictaphone to record lectures and myself reciting notes so I can listen to them later. This can really boost your memory if you have previously been using a method to study and revise that doesn't suit your learning type.

Tbh anything after that is raw talent. So if you still aren't getting a first after doing everything I just said you may not be first material which is just the way of the world. Still aim for a first as that way you are far more likely to get a good 2:1.
Thanks guys!! Any other feedback greatly appreciated :smile:.
I think all the previous advice is very sound, with respect to being diligent and doing all the problems set. I think monkeyvirus gave some fantastic advice when she said , "figure out how you learn if you don't know all ready (visual, auditory or tactile) and use strategies devised for that sort of learning". For my part I always skim read through material seeking our any patterns or reoccurring themes and then I would go through it again, looking to attach physical and/or mathematical meaning to the text, however that method may not be for everyone. As you progress and mature you learn to hone and alter your style to become an altogether better mathematician.

I've always believed that all the individuals who have been permitted entry into a course have the ability to obtain a first. Learning style, discipline, focus etc.. even more mundane aspects such as getting enough sleep, eating right and staying calm will all help your mathematical ability. It's your job to tinker and experiment to find out how your mind works.

"How do the 3 years (say) compare ? Do you get a 1st in all years , 2nd and 3rd, or leave the majority to the 3rd ?"

For my part, I obtained better results in the latter years. Doing a 4 year course my averages were (63,60,70,81), which isn't quite a first with a 1: 4 :4 : 4 weighting of the years, but in borderline cases, precedent is given to the latter years. Throughout I would say, on average. I attended just over 1/2 of the lectures and a 1/10 of the problems classes. I preferred working by myself or with a small group of friends, where we would get together and discuss the topics (this happened more so in the last two years).

Anyway to summarise there's no substitute for hard work but in addition tailor your working style to your mind.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest