The Student Room Group

university looks so hard?

so i'm going to start a maths/physics degree next year and I'm doing well in my A-levels and competitions etc but whenever I look at a university textbook or notes, I get overwhelmed by how hard everything looks and it makes me wonder if id even be able to do a degree. any maths/physics/whatever uni students have a similar feeling before starting university?
Reply 1
Well, there wouldn't be much point in doing a degree if it was easy would there.....
Of course its a step-up from A levels - but you'll be amazed how you can actually rise to the challenge.
And that's a great feeling. Stop worrying, it'll be fine.
Hi, I’m not a uni student but I feel the same so you’re not alone in this. If you think back to pre-A levels, you probably felt similar. I think it’s normal
Reply 3
Original post by Kong, Donkey
so i'm going to start a maths/physics degree next year and I'm doing well in my A-levels and competitions etc but whenever I look at a university textbook or notes, I get overwhelmed by how hard everything looks and it makes me wonder if id even be able to do a degree. any maths/physics/whatever uni students have a similar feeling before starting university?

Remind yourself that if you'd looked at A-level text books a year or two ago, it would have looked incomprehensible! If you can do A-levels, you are more than capable of studying for a degree. :-)

Hi,
I'm in my 3rd year studying Geography at Lancaster. At the start of university i felt slightly overwhelmed by the work but more in the sense that at university the learning style is completely different to A levels/previous study, as its a lot more independent and the coursework/exams have a different writing style. It took me the 1st year to get used to this, and i found that lots of people were in a similar positions with this. Universities offer lots of support around academic learning, so you can get advice from lots of people including academic if your finding the work difficult. After my 1st year i felt more settled at university in general which made the leaning process easier.
Hope this helps
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

@Kong, Donkey
Going to University is quite daunting for everyone, I got 100% and 95% in my A level exams for Sociology and I was nervous. The first year is pretty much consolidating the knowledge you already have, perhaps with a broader scope. The second year is the real change of gear and you will be settled in by then and have some friends in the same situation. You'll do great don't worry

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending