The Student Room Group

Optometry

I’ve recently passed my a levels in biology chemistry and product design with the grades BCC. I’m currently deciding whether to study pharmacy or optometry. I was wondering how much physics and maths content is their in optometry also is optometry much more stressful than a levels
Reply 1
hiii im going into first year uni at cardiff for optom, i chose is bc i think its more biology based rather than chem.

I've talked to some students and they said that the physics element isn't too bad
The physics element is mainly just refraction
Reply 3
Do optometry the maths and physics elements arent important, youd just need to get the basics/bare minimum to get past like the 1st and 2nd year and you will never need to know it ever again, its not particularly hard if you get to understanding it. Plus optometry is a better profession, might be biased as i am doing it, but ive had friends in pharmacy who are not enjoying plus the are way more pharmacists than optometrist so the demand is better for optoms. It is a semi-stressfull degree but 100% worth, you end up doing well paying job, and people treat you with so much respect. Youll actually be helping peoples lives, but there is alot of incentive in selling glasses, so that can put people off, id say university is the easy part, the hardest year for optometry is the pre-reg year, which is basically like the placement year where you get assessed while working - working + studying is hard but if u get through this year than youve sorted your entire life.
Reply 4
Original post by melhana
hiii im going into first year uni at cardiff for optom, i chose is bc i think its more biology based rather than chem.

I've talked to some students and they said that the physics element isn't too bad

What were your predicted grades?
Reply 5
Original post by DiyaP500
What were your predicted grades?

3 A's
Reply 6
Original post by Subhanali_04
I’ve recently passed my a levels in biology chemistry and product design with the grades BCC. I’m currently deciding whether to study pharmacy or optometry. I was wondering how much physics and maths content is their in optometry also is optometry much more stressful than a levels

Do you have an offer from university or are you applying this year?

Quick Reply

Latest