The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The best degrees for investment banking?

For undergrad I would say "Economics and Management" at Oxford. For postgrad I would say "Masters in Finance" or MBA from London Business School.
Reply 2
Can i do investment banking with a pharmacy degree?
Reply 3
What I dont understand is why study chemistry/drama/whatever, if you want to end up being a trader/banker. Surely it would make sense, that if you really want to be a trader/banker, you'd study econ/maths/finance etc?
Reply 4
because chemistry especially at oxford is mathematically intensive, its a well regarded degree and I would probably get a better class of degree in it.
Reply 5
Chemistry is a well respected degree especially from Oxford so do it if you think you will enjoy it.
TheAsianProdigy
What I dont understand is why study chemistry/drama/whatever, if you want to end up being a trader/banker. Surely it would make sense, that if you really want to be a trader/banker, you'd study econ/maths/finance etc?

Because econ/math/finance at uni is very different from working in a real-life situation. I personally would have killed myself from boredom doing economics at uni, but I am really interested in foreign exchange and can seek out books, newspaper articles, summer jobs, etc. that are focused on what I like, rather than spending 4 years (I'm American) learning about a lot of irrelevant stuff. I knew plenty of econ majors who were asked technical questions in interviews that they didn't know at all and had never learned.
Reply 7
For me personally I would find a chemistry degree much harder than an economcis degree, but I guess different people are good at different things.
Reply 8
lucaz
because chemistry especially at oxford is mathematically intensive, its a well regarded degree and I would probably get a better class of degree in it.

fair enough for the bolded bit.
Reply 9
Tortle
The best degrees for investment banking?

For undergrad I would say "Economics and Management" at Oxford. For postgrad I would say "Masters in Finance" or MBA from London Business School.

i think economics at cambridge is more highly regarded at undergrad level..thinking more...yup..im sure..
Reply 10
Econ4m1t
i think economics at cambridge is more highly regarded at undergrad level..thinking more...yup..im sure..

Explain.
Reply 11
shady lane
Because econ/math/finance at uni is very different from working in a real-life situation. I personally would have killed myself from boredom doing economics at uni, but I am really interested in foreign exchange and can seek out books, newspaper articles, summer jobs, etc. that are focused on what I like, rather than spending 4 years (I'm American) learning about a lot of irrelevant stuff. I knew plenty of econ majors who were asked technical questions in interviews that they didn't know at all and had never learned.

you gotta remember u speak to people doin american degree's its totally different over here #(e.g. better lol) you will nit regret doin econ... (good piss up lol)
Econ4m1t

I agree. Not to say E&M at Oxford is not a very good and well regarded course, but Cambridge Econ is better in my opinion.
Reply 13
lucaz
what are they, would chemistry at oxford be a good degree to have for it? Thanks

I know a couple of chemists and indeed biochemists at my college at Oxford who have been snapped up by IBs and management consultancies. Chem at Oxford and Natural Sciences which is what I believe they call it at 'the other place' are good degrees. Chem soewhere else (with the exception of ICL perhaps) would probably be a disadvanatge. Best degrees? It's been said a million times but anything quantitative is a big advantage. Maths/Econ/physics/engineering/computer science and any conbination of those are great. Academic degrees never go out of fashion and always maintain their prestige. Avoid the likes of 'business studies' and 'accounting and finance' (with the exception of LSE).
Reply 14
Does anyone have any evidence to suggest business and management degrees are a disadvantage for IB entry?
Its not business/commerce being a disadvantage, rather other degrees being more well regarded and suitable. Although these degrees seem relevant to IB, they're not interested because you are taught everything you need, so they are looking more for ability which is shown by doing more academic degrees.
Reply 16
Business/Management is academic. It's not a wishy washy micky mouse arty farty liberal subject like Sociology or Media Studies. Rather it's a relevant, useful numerate degree demonstrating interest in the real world.
stupanico
Business/Management is academic. It's not a wishy washy micky mouse arty farty liberal subject like Sociology or Media Studies. Rather it's a relevant, useful numerate degree demonstrating interest in the real world.

Well maybe you could write that on your application form, since IBs seem to have a different opinion. I'm merely stating an observation no need to justify you choice of degree to me. I would say the core subjects which constitute as being properly "academic" subjects are maths, engineering, physics, economics, medicine and law.
Reply 18
LBC213
I would say the core subjects which constitute as being properly "academic" subjects are maths, engineering, physics, economics, medicine and law.

I would agree with the above. Though some people do get good IB jobs with a business degree accoring to the websites, though it is hard to guess what proportion of the workforce business graduates constitute in IBs.
Reply 19
Sociology isn't "wishy washy", imbecile. Business and Media Studies are :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending