The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

What is it actually like?

I have heard mixed reviews of Derby, some say the lectures and staff are very poor and that the city is dismal while others say the complete opposite? If it helps I currently have an offer for Geology
Reply 1
Original post by loublack
I have heard mixed reviews of Derby, some say the lectures and staff are very poor and that the city is dismal while others say the complete opposite? If it helps I currently have an offer for Geology

I think it depends on what your'e expecting. I do Geography so have done several modules over the last 3 years that include Geology students. The lectures are good, the field trips geologist get are brilliant. The lecturers can be boring at times but that just personal opinion.

In terms of the city, it depends where you live at the moment, if you live in a big city like Sheffield or Birmingham then moving to a small city like Derby can be a disappointment. However if you live in a small town, then moving to a city is a great experience. Derby is a nice little city. It's got all that you need. Some people might say it sits in the shadow on its east midlands rivals, Nottingham and Leicester because those cities are bigger, But Derby is the safest out of the 3 and surprisingly has the biggest shopping center. Derby does lack the big big nightclubs you will found in Nottingham or Birmingham but has loads of decent nightclubs that cater for all tastes, and if you want those big clubs then Notts is only a 20 mins trains away, taxi's do good rates as well. If you like Ale as well, then Derby is the place to be. There are so many pubs in Derby all serving different ales, which is why its called the ale capital of the world! I moved to Derby from a small town and love it here. Every city can be better but i don't know anyone that doesn't like it here.

Hope this helps, I can only tell you what Derby is like, i can't compare it to other uni towns obviously (unless its Northampton, because that's close to where i live) so that's a decision you will have to make. If you want to know anything else, just let me know
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Hi Lou,

I'm a current student at Derby. I have completed my degree in Forensic Science here and now study PGCE FE.

Personally, I love the university. My lecturers have been fantastic, supportive and generally, very entertaining! You're bound to get the odd lecturer who doesn't teach in a way that you engage with, but you're going to get that pretty much everywhere.

The Kedleston Rd campus (where Geology is studied) has recently undergone millions of pounds wirth of refurbishment, it's looking all fancy and modern now.

Derby itself, it's quite small, but I like that. I can walk to town, to the train station, to the supermarket, to university and none of it takes too long (about 45 mins slow walk to the train station). It has everything you need, nightclubs, cinema, bowling etc. and because it is in the heart of the Midlands, you can easily travel to Nottingham, Leicester or Birmingham for a night out!

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Stacey
Reply 3
Thanks a lot for the advice guys :smile: I think it will be my first choice
Thanks a lot for the advice guys :smile: I think it will be my first choice

Not a problem! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Stacey

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending