The Student Room Group

Don't feel like I am getting anything out of degree

Hi,

So I am in my first semester studying single honours history after moving from international relations and I just feel like I am getting nothing out of my classes. I do all the extra reading and put in the effort but I just feel like I am getting nothing out of my course

I think it may be because of how my current modules are, both modules have 2x 45 minute lectures a week and they are both on completely different topics eg. this weeks two lectures in one of my modules were on african american life in usa and the other was on the russian revolution. I feel like I have no time to get into a subject and its making me really consider whether being in uni is actually going to help me at all.

I also honestly believe that uni lectures just don't have any teaching ability at all, I have had one lecturer since starting that has made me feel like I am learning, everyone else just to me seems like they believe that we know just as much as their PhD self knows therefore they don't give you anything in terms of actually learning

People have said it gets better in terms of learning in the 2nd year but I dont want to sit here for a year learning nothing it just seems pointless to me, I would rather be doing something better with my life than sitting and trying to learn

I love learning and I don't know what I would be doing if I did leave uni but I really don't want to and I just need some advice.
(edited 2 years ago)
You need to decide whether it's the course itself that's not right for you and change in the first year. There's no point doing a degree which doesn't interest you nor if it doesn't help you get into the career/industry you want. Now I don't know if you plan to do a Masters/PHD or teaching with your degree but that's just my suggestion change your degree again and make the right choice the first time so you don't need to do a second degree in many years.

I love learning and I don't know what I would be doing if I did leave uni but I really don't want to and I just need some advice. - do you have any work experience or skills that could get you a job for a year doesn't have to be 1 job you could change. Then decide what course you really want to do. Try at University as Universities also have jobs but other places will be advertising too. Don't stay on a University course just because you don't know what you do without being in education as it'll get messy Student finance wise if you decide to leave later on in 2022. Speak with the admissions team/University about your concerns with the course and see what advice they provide. Is there an option for you to do a placement year after 2nd year that may be good too.

Alternatives:
Healthcare related degrees??
Computer Science seems to be getting popular?
Degree apprenticeships
Apprenticeships
Job then go back to University
Placement year
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
You need to decide whether it's the course itself that's not right for you and change in the first year. There's no point doing a degree which doesn't interest you nor if it doesn't help you get into the career/industry you want. Now I don't know if you plan to do a Masters/PHD or teaching with your degree but that's just my suggestion change your degree again and make the right choice the first time so you don't need to do a second degree in many years.

I love learning and I don't know what I would be doing if I did leave uni but I really don't want to and I just need some advice. - do you have any work experience or skills that could get you a job for a year doesn't have to be 1 job you could change. Then decide what course you really want to do. Try at University as Universities also have jobs but other places will be advertising too. Don't stay on a University course just because you don't know what you do without being in education as it'll get messy Student finance wise if you decide to leave later on in 2022. Speak with the admissions team/University about your concerns with the course and see what advice they provide. Is there an option for you to do a placement year after 2nd year that may be good too.

Alternatives:
Healthcare related degrees??
Computer Science seems to be getting popular?
Degree apprenticeships
Apprenticeships
Job then go back to University
Placement year

History is the only degree I can see myself doing, I dont know whether I am just not as academic as I thought therefore making it hard for me to be is this setting.

I have no work experience 1. due to covid and 2. because you just can't seem to get a job without work experience and I have applied for so many jobs they just won't take me because I have no experience.

I just feel stuck and my parents don't care whether I am here or not and I am thankful that they are so supportive, they would prefer me being happy but honestly nothing here is making me happy except for the society I am in.

I have Christmas break in a week so I hope it will give me time to consider whether I want to actually be here or not.

If I was to leave I would get a job with my parents as I have worked with them over the summer once and I actually enjoyed the job I was given.

I'm just honestly stuck in life, I have nobody except for my family, I'm not really getting into uni life as I really don't like partying etc which has made it hard for me to make friends and if I was to leave I would really have no clue what to do. I honestly don't know what to do
If I was to leave I would get a job with my parents as I have worked with them over the summer once and I actually enjoyed the job I was given. That's positive do this.

Start looking into other courses and reading the course content to see if it feels comfortable for you..
Original post by graceponcho
History is the only degree I can see myself doing, I dont know whether I am just not as academic as I thought therefore making it hard for me to be is this setting.

I have no work experience 1. due to covid and 2. because you just can't seem to get a job without work experience and I have applied for so many jobs they just won't take me because I have no experience.

I just feel stuck and my parents don't care whether I am here or not and I am thankful that they are so supportive, they would prefer me being happy but honestly nothing here is making me happy except for the society I am in.

I have Christmas break in a week so I hope it will give me time to consider whether I want to actually be here or not.

If I was to leave I would get a job with my parents as I have worked with them over the summer once and I actually enjoyed the job I was given.

I'm just honestly stuck in life, I have nobody except for my family, I'm not really getting into uni life as I really don't like partying etc which has made it hard for me to make friends and if I was to leave I would really have no clue what to do. I honestly don't know what to do

Hi, apologies for replying to an older thread but I feel I’m in the exact same position right now. I hope you managed to figure things out and are happy right now.

I’ll try to keep this short: I’m doing an English and French combined degree, as I’ve always loved English and learning languages, but it’s just not working for me at university? I love learning and working hard, I genuinely like studying all the time and wish to be the best I can be in this field, but my degree isn’t falling into place how I’d like. I’m not sure whether it’s the teaching format (they tend to just encourage discussions in short seminars per week rather than actually create something meaningful like an essay of our ideas or produce some actual work related to a text) or something else, but I feel I’m wasting my effort on a degree that unfortunately doesn’t seem to require much hard work or dedication.
I love making new friends, and I’ve joined many societies, but I don’t feel I’ve been able to be myself around anyone really, despite trying to be there for others as a friend. I’ve just dealt with that as I’m content with being alone, but it has definitely excluded me from the parties and fun.
I just feel so lost, I’ve spoken with a tutor at the university I’m at and she understood but couldn’t really help me as I don’t even know what job I’d like to pursue at the end of the degree (not a shock at all, as I know it’s up to me to diagnose the problem and know what I want to do about it, but I don’t). I don’t know if it’s the course I don’t like, or the life I’m living, or just being away from home - I’m worried now as I’m currently home for Christmas (2 hours away) and life just feels so easy and people seem to like having me around. Maybe it’s the university draining my love for the subjects I’m studying, I’m not sure.

I would love to hear what you did, and what position you are in now. It would really help. Thank you if you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending