The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

But small clubs can't scout far and wide anyway so it's not overly useful to lower leaguers like us :colonhash:
Managed to sign an Angolan international L/R wing-back and Brazilian RB on frees.

Improving my strikers now.

Included 9-0 and 7-0 home victories and an impressive 5-1 away win over second place on the last game of the season.

Now into the promotion stage, my top scorer is my on-loan Guinea-Bissau striker Ailton with 19 in 22.
My Luxembourg international Daniel Alves da Mota is next on 6.
Marcus :france:

I have never seen a management switcheroo like this before:
Pep leaves Barca for Spain
Ancelotti leaves Chelsea for Barca
Avram leaves Sunderland for Chelsea
Gary Neville leaves Fulham for Sunderland

:colonhash:
6 points clear with 5 games to play in the promotion stage, another massive 6-0 win over Mafra proving especially helpful.
Won the league comfortably, going through the promotion stage with 8 wins and 2 draws. :h:

Going to play another season before bed. :ahee:
Reply 9626
Original post by marcusmerehay

Original post by marcusmerehay
That's a brilliant resource Dalimyr. :yy:

Saves me randomly going through all the teams in the world all season to find the right players to promote. :h:

Does this apply to 09 as well do you know?

League ones I know off by heart (e.g. Scotland and England) haven't changed in recent years so they should be the same. There may be the odd difference here and there but should be accurate :smile:

Original post by Colbert
But small clubs can't scout far and wide anyway so it's not overly useful to lower leaguers like us :colonhash:
That's not quite accurate. If you're doing LLM then you can't tell your scouts "Go have a look around Spain and report back any players that you think are worthwhile targets.", but you can tell your scouts "I've found this person in Spain, go check him out for me and report what you think of him". In other words, if you compile a list of players to look at, your scouts will do the grunt work of checking them out, even if they're not allowed to do general searches in the countries those players are in :smile:

And I've left it a bit late to look for players whose contracts are expiring :o: There's interest from Benfica and some French clubs for the two wingers that I didn't sell (Valter Birsa and Juan Pablo Caffa). Birsa has been playing phenomenally so I think I'll keep him, but Caffa's generally been a backup to him and not given much chance to prove himself. I've agreed to bring in Goran Lovre from Barnsley for free when his contract ends in June, and will probably get rid of Caffa to make room for him. Not quite a like-for-like swap, but bringing in a needed MR for a not-so-needed ML.
Spending about £420k on other players, but they're all youngsters who won't be in the senior squad for a while. Erm, think I'll try and sell Allan McGregor (admittedly my best goalie, but on double the wages of both my other two goalies combined) as well, and possibly get in a new cheap goalie to replace him.

Edit: I had noticed that Birsa was bloody good with set pieces, but I just realised that Rangers have scored six direct free kicks over the course of the season, and all of the eleven other teams in the SPL combined have only scored 8 between them :biggrin: My squad's also topping the tables for penalties, goals from indirect free kicks and goals from corners :king1:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Dalimyr
That's not quite accurate. If you're doing LLM then you can't tell your scouts "Go have a look around Spain and report back any players that you think are worthwhile targets.", but you can tell your scouts "I've found this person in Spain, go check him out for me and report what you think of him". In other words, if you compile a list of players to look at, your scouts will do the grunt work of checking them out, even if they're not allowed to do general searches in the countries those players are in :smile:

Are you sure about that? Becuase i've not managed to get my scouts to scout anyone outside the countries they set for me... Can add them to shortlist, but no option to scout player is listed.
Reply 9628
Finally decided on a team to start a proper game with, gonna try and break the big two dominance in Spain with Villarreal. About an 8mil budget after a bit of adgustment and selling some ****e. Most of that went on Lukaku, also brought in Trochowski off HSV and Santa Cruz and Jenas on loan. Not sure i'll actually be able to make them challengers considering their stadium and attendance but I will give it a go. Aiming for top 4 this season and maybe a cup run in something :h:

Beat Gent in Euro Cup qualifying and got drawn in the same group as Palermo and Dortmund :grumble:
Spent a bit of money in the January transfer window. Got Styvar and Brandy for free, as well as Guibout as very short term cheap GK cover. Westlake cost me a few k, and also signed Rees from Arsenal for cheap.

Now in february, all my injury problems seem to be clearing up, though i'm getting one or two minor discipline issues. Also got frustrated with Sandaza underperforming, had a word with him, and now he's got a 'poor' opinion of me. 2 goals in 20 games for the guy who's meant to be my best striker, he can **** right off. Barnes has cooled a little, and Moussilou has been injured for a while, but Brandy has made an immediate impact. Assulin started well too, and seems to have given Bennett a second wind (competition and all that). Playing one on each wing, as Van Der Meyde got injured in my first match (was expecting him not to play much, not paying him much anyway, only signed till end of season).

Positives, 6 points clear in the league and generally playing well. Pretty confident the title is mine, with more than two thirds of the season gone. Down side, was knocked out of the FA cup by bolton though (managed to get knocked down to 7 players through red cards and injuries, and only lost 2-0)
Reply 9630
I'm still trying to work out tactics. Playing as Southampton. Brought them to the PL, they gave me £30m (wat) to spend in the PL, survived mid table but with some shocking results. Second season in the PL isnt going very well, mainly because I cant get my strikers (robbie keane, andy carroll in particular) to score a ****ing goal. Almost all of my goals come from the defence and the wing.

Made myself two new tactics. Stoke-esque stuff for tough teams, and more flair playing as I do have an excellent midfield, for easier teams to build up the goal difference. Going okay so far, apart from the ****ing strikers. Thing is, my strikers were ALL of my goals in the lower leagues. I've Keane, Carroll, Bianchi up front, Keane mainly being a back up since hes 33 but he still scores important goals. Bianchi has plenty of assists, Carroll does **** all, just a big lump at the top of the pitch.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9631
Original post by Jim-ie
I'm still trying to work out tactics. Playing as Southampton. Brought them to the PL, they gave me £30m (wat) to spend in the PL, survived mid table but with some shocking results. Second season in the PL isnt going very well, mainly because I cant get my strikers (robbie keane, andy carroll in particular) to score a ****ing goal. Almost all of my goals come from the defence and the wing.

Made myself two new tactics. Stoke-esque stuff for tough teams, and more flair playing as I do have an excellent midfield, for easier teams to build up the goal difference. Going okay so far, apart from the ****ing strikers. Thing is, my strikers were ALL of my goals in the lower leagues. I've Keane, Carroll, Bianchi up front, Keane mainly being a back up since hes 33 but he still scores important goals. Bianchi has plenty of assists, Carroll does **** all, just a big lump at the top of the pitch.

I also play as Southampton and are just starting my second season in the EPL after gaining 8th position last year - hoping to push for a European spot this year. Only missed out by 3 points last year! I play a 4-1-2-1-2 system and have my home pitch as narrow. I don't score too much as my strikers last year weren't so great still managed to grab 25 between them. The chairman has perked up has some how given me a load of money to spend in the transfer window so I brought in some decent regens and a decent striker. This is my best team:

GK: Hennessey
DL: Easton
DR: Clyne
DC: Hobbs
DC: Moti
DM: Piper
CM: Bilinho
CM: Catermole
AM: Kakuta
ST: Sanogo
ST: Vela

Vela, Piper and Sanogo are incredible. Piper is someone I got from Wolves and is only 6.5m but his stats are incredible he's also a mere 20 I think, possibly younger!

Hoping to get a European spot this season and get above 50+ goals!
I have an Ivory Coast regen midfielder called Sanogo and he is wonderful
And I'm cruising through the premiership having only lost 1 game all season :yeah: CL semi final against Real Madrid coming up :yeah: already won the league cup :yeah: got the FA cup final against Arsenal soon :yeah:

My investment in youth is finally paying off :bandit:
Reply 9634
FM 10 currently, gettimg 11 after my exams...

Got weston super mare ftom conference south to conference, pretty tough, give it a go!
Reply 9635
3 draws in 3 league games, feel like Mark Hughes :colonhash:

Still, i'm 3rd and unbeaten with 12 points from 6 games so that's ok. Madrid languishing in 8th :teeth:

Nilmar has to be the single most frustrating player i've ever had on an FM game. He has played 10 games and had 53 shots, and considering none of my players are allowed to take long shots that's a ****ing lot. I'm counting 4/5 one on ones every game made purely through his pace but his conversion rate is so low, 6 goals so far and only 41% of his shots are on target. 6 in 10 is actually a decent record but it should be so much better. Put him on individual finishing training and asked him to start placing shots, hopefully that will improve things somewhat, even if they don't go in getting more on target should lead to more rebounds.
Reply 9636
I just finished my second season with Zaragoza and I lost the Champions League final in the 94th minute against Barcelona. :frown: I only qualified for the thing with a LOT of luck, so I was not expecting to get anywhere near the final, but a relatively easy route to the final helped. I had Lyon, Everton and Arsenal in the knockouts - Beat Everton on away goals and Arsenal on penalties, which was lucky as they absolutely dominated both games - I didn't have a single CCC in either game whereas they had 7.

That's the money problems sorted anyway.
Reply 9637
My Rangers squad lost their form just at the right moment...with 4 games to go they needed a point to win the league. They struggled against Motherwell, but got that point. They lost to Celtic, fluked a very undeserved win against Hearts (scored twice in the last 10 minutes to win 2-1) and my reserves did the best job of the lot but could still only manage a goalless draw with Dundee Utd.

The key players getting a rest helped out, though - 3 days later they were up against Celtic. I went a goal down, pegged them back immediately. This happened twice more so the score was 3-3, then I scored and went defensive for the rest of the game and held out to get the "Do The Double" achievement (which has been fixed this year...in FM10 you could only get that achievement in the MLS for some bizarre reason). Bit odd that I get that (needing to win the league and cup) but I'm not eligible to get the "Champions!" achievement (win the league) because I was only manager for half the season :biggrin:

Roll on the 2012/13 season, and hopefully things go smoothly for me :smile:

Edit: David Weir's decided "Oh, I think I'll retire tomorrow". His contract runs out on May 31st 2012, and he's decided on May 30th that he'll retire on the 31st. Cheers for the advance notice, Davie...but on the plus side, that's £5k of the wages freed up, almost certainly with another £25k to go (Steven Davis wants to move to a bigger club) and maybe another £5k (John Fleck wants his wages quadrupled to around £20k which I think is overkill...he's only got one year left on his contract so I have to decide whether I'm relenting and giving him the £20k a week or flogging him, as I don't want to miss out on getting a transfer fee out of him). Loads of interest for Davis, ranging from Man Utd and Real Madrid down to Wolves and West Ham (both of whom would probably struggle to meet my asking price). Selling him certainly won't be a challenge, but getting the money I want for him probably will be (he's valued at £5.25m but he's my best player by a considerable margin and I wouldn't be happy to let him go for anything less than £7.5m and would ideally want at least £10m)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9638
Original post by Peachz
I also play as Southampton and are just starting my second season in the EPL after gaining 8th position last year - hoping to push for a European spot this year. Only missed out by 3 points last year! I play a 4-1-2-1-2 system and have my home pitch as narrow. I don't score too much as my strikers last year weren't so great still managed to grab 25 between them. The chairman has perked up has some how given me a load of money to spend in the transfer window so I brought in some decent regens and a decent striker. This is my best team:

GK: Hennessey
DL: Easton
DR: Clyne
DC: Hobbs
DC: Moti
DM: Piper
CM: Bilinho
CM: Catermole
AM: Kakuta
ST: Sanogo
ST: Vela

Vela, Piper and Sanogo are incredible. Piper is someone I got from Wolves and is only 6.5m but his stats are incredible he's also a mere 20 I think, possibly younger!

Hoping to get a European spot this season and get above 50+ goals!

I couldnt get Vela to sign even on loan. :frown: Perfect mouldable player.

My team is
GK Smithies
DL Hélan
CB Boyata
CB Toro
DR Hutton
DM Vukojevic
CM Kevin (playmaker)
CM Gibson
CM Hargreaves (ball winning)
ST Bianchi
ST Carroll

Also have Rio Ferdinand (free), Matt James, Castillo, Keane, Luka de Jong (loan), David Corcoles (rb), Aron Gunnarsson, Jose Fonte, Adam Lallana on rotation/filling in, as well as Brunt and Chamberlain who I play at home in a more attacking wing formation. Chamberlain is only 18 or 19 and needs a lot of work but hes at least PL standard now.
Reply 9639
Original post by Dalimyr
My Rangers squad lost their form just at the right moment...with 4 games to go they needed a point to win the league. They struggled against Motherwell, but got that point. They lost to Celtic, fluked a very undeserved win against Hearts (scored twice in the last 10 minutes to win 2-1) and my reserves did the best job of the lot but could still only manage a goalless draw with Dundee Utd.

The key players getting a rest helped out, though - 3 days later they were up against Celtic. I went a goal down, pegged them back immediately. This happened twice more so the score was 3-3, then I scored and went defensive for the rest of the game and held out to get the "Do The Double" achievement (which has been fixed this year...in FM10 you could only get that achievement in the MLS for some bizarre reason). Bit odd that I get that (needing to win the league and cup) but I'm not eligible to get the "Champions!" achievement (win the league) because I was only manager for half the season :biggrin:

Roll on the 2012/13 season, and hopefully things go smoothly for me :smile:

Edit: David Weir's decided "Oh, I think I'll retire tomorrow". His contract runs out on May 31st 2012, and he's decided on May 30th that he'll retire on the 31st. Cheers for the advance notice, Davie...but on the plus side, that's £5k of the wages freed up, almost certainly with another £25k to go (Steven Davis wants to move to a bigger club) and maybe another £5k (John Fleck wants his wages quadrupled to around £20k which I think is overkill...he's only got one year left on his contract so I have to decide whether I'm relenting and giving him the £20k a week or flogging him, as I don't want to miss out on getting a transfer fee out of him). Loads of interest for Davis, ranging from Man Utd and Real Madrid down to Wolves and West Ham (both of whom would probably struggle to meet my asking price). Selling him certainly won't be a challenge, but getting the money I want for him probably will be (he's valued at £5.25m but he's my best player by a considerable margin and I wouldn't be happy to let him go for anything less than £7.5m and would ideally want at least £10m)

Davis is still at Rangers on my game, tried to sign him because hes an awesome player in FM, but its not happening. :redface: Rangers even rejected £7m.

Latest