The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dalimyr
I did that with an older version of the game, adding my local team into the game and sticking them in the Scottish Third Division...didn't do too well, but my LLM skills back then weren't as good as they are now :smile: Nowadays I have far more trouble running top-flight clubs than I do running lower-league clubs.

Really?
Top flight clubs are always the ones that are easy for me, thats why i barely play past 1 season on games where i start off at one (which is rare as it is, but anyway).
The challenge of getting young players, and cheap players to come to a low division club is alot more challenging IMO.
Reply 81
Eru Iluvatar
Really?
Top flight clubs are always the ones that are easy for me, thats why i barely play past 1 season on games where i start off at one (which is rare as it is, but anyway).
The challenge of getting young players, and cheap players to come to a low division club is alot more challenging IMO.

:ditto:
Eru Iluvatar
Hey, just requested to join.

My usual favourite formation is a 4-4-2 with diamond midfield (one DMC, one AMC, and two wing players).
Its pretty successful at all levels, with the right players.
Depending on the opposition, i sometimes play the AMC, in centre midfield, and have one of the strikers dropping back into the AM role (not moving them, just having the run backwards), which works well against superior sides. I tend to have the wingers runs as far as the AM line, but if a side is playing with three centre backs, i take advantage having them run to the forward position (and tend to play AM/F type midfielders in that position anyway). If i'm not able to get the firepower up front (or forwards not even getting the ball), i have the two wing players runs to either side of the AMC, putting more pressure on the opposition (especially effective against sides without at least one holding midfield player, in the DMC position, though that relies on very good full backs, especially defensively, not to be over-run by the opposition wingers (though from experience, the opposition on Football Manager don't use wing players as much, or as well, as in RL, especially not with overlapping fullbacks).

I'm currently testing out some defensive formations for playing against far superior sides (a division or two above, at least), using two holding midfield players, in front of three centre backs, having the centre backs move wide as the ball moves to that side, with the DM in front moving back to cover, then playing two wingers, to AMC and a lone front man.

Has anyone ever used the editor, to start up their own side, with no players at all, putting themselves in the bottom division of a country, then see how long it takes to work their way up, because thats my next personal challenge.

yeh I did that with Aston Clinton(local village side) eventually took them all the way up to the prem but it was very difficult as the stadium was never expanded. They literally play at a park and there was a total of 0 seats in the ground. They refused to make the stadium any bigger in the end.

This was in the last FM I think, the likes of Scott Willis and Leke Odunsi were with me all the way from conf south to the prem:cool:

Just recently been doing a network game with my mate though, unfortunatley lost out big time with him being Barca and me being Real. I pretty much got owned in that 1 especially after he signed Ibrahimovic. So i'd say I tend to struggle a fair bit with the bigger teams.
Has anyone got this game on the PSP?
Reply 84
Dalimyr
I did that with an older version of the game, adding my local team into the game and sticking them in the Scottish Third Division...didn't do too well, but my LLM skills back then weren't as good as they are now :smile: Nowadays I have far more trouble running top-flight clubs than I do running lower-league clubs.

i usually add my local team Blyth Spartans to the bottom league. wont have to in FM2007 though.. they just got promoted to conference North :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Italian Leagues will be good next season :biggrin:
Reply 85
Vintage
i usually add my local team Blyth Spartans to the bottom league. wont have to in FM2007 though.. they just got promoted to conference North :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I'm going to have to find a new team to play in FM07 - both Maidenhead and Carshalton were relegated from the Conference South :frown:

serious narb
So i'd say I tend to struggle a fair bit with the bigger teams.
:ditto: Lower league teams are so much easier because you've got so much room for error. A small string of poor results won't put your head in the guillotine with a team like Maidenhead or Stirling Albion, but get a similar string of results with Chelsea or Man Utd, Rangers or Celtic, and if you're not on the street already, you'll be close to it :s:
Maidenhead and Carshalton are 'orrible places anyway :biggrin: just use the editor and manage Aylesbury United.

can't wait for the new FM now, Just out of ideas for this 1 now.
Reply 87
recurring
does anyone have a link to the latest update please? :tsr2:
FM2006 6.0.3 :smile:
Reply 88
serious narb
Maidenhead and Carshalton are 'orrible places anyway :biggrin: just use the editor and manage Aylesbury United.

can't wait for the new FM now, Just out of ideas for this 1 now.

Anyone ever tried the American leagues? there pretty dodgy!
Reply 89
Vintage
Anyone ever tried the American leagues? there pretty dodgy!
I haven't, though I wouldn't mind trying them just to see what they're like...but aside from LA Galaxy and NY Metrostars, I'd be hard-pressed to name any teams from the MLS.
It used to be NY/NJ Metrostars, now they are Red Bull New York.
got a good game going with CSKA Sofia now, hopefuly this one will last longer than recent efforts....
Reply 92
Bought it the other day, so I'm requesting to join the Soc!

Started a season with Nottingham Forest, started well (7/7 wins), going slowly downhill (3/3 losses :frown:). Very slowly getting the hang of the game. Using an attacking diamond formation! Trying to get rid of Marlon King, but no one wants to buy the fat bastard.

edit: Dalimyr, that's Milla Jovovich in your avatar, right?!
Reply 93
Despite the good start to my second season, the months up to November haven't been quite as good. After 6 games I was top of the table, 1 point clear...now 13 games into the season, I'm in second place, 5 points behind newly-relegated Woking (who I've yet to play - my first meeting with them is next month). On the plus side, I got plenty prize money from cups. I got to the 3rd qualifying round of the FA Trophy, knocked out by conference national side Grays Athletic, and (for one more week) I'm still in the FA Cup, but Derby County will almost certainly hammer me, knocking me out in the second round, but at least they should (hopefully) give me plenty of cash from ticket sales to see the game at Pride Park :bunny:

Little LLM tip: Scouts truly are golden, because they're so cheap. My assistant manager, six of my seven coaches, and my four scouts were all unemployed scouts who I managed to sign to £20 p/w deals. A coach as good as the ones I've got would have almost certainly cost me £40 p/w, and a new ass man would have probably been out of my £50 p/w budget.

Pav27
edit: Dalimyr, that's Milla Jovovich in your avatar, right?!
Yup :gthumb:
Reply 94
Dalimyr
Despite the good start to my second season, the months up to November haven't been quite as good. After 6 games I was top of the table, 1 point clear...now 13 games into the season, I'm in second place, 5 points behind newly-relegated Woking (who I've yet to play - my first meeting with them is next month). On the plus side, I got plenty prize money from cups. I got to the 3rd qualifying round of the FA Trophy, knocked out by conference national side Grays Athletic, and (for one more week) I'm still in the FA Cup, but Derby County will almost certainly hammer me, knocking me out in the second round, but at least they should (hopefully) give me plenty of cash from ticket sales to see the game at Pride Park :bunny:

Little LLM tip: Scouts truly are golden, because they're so cheap. My assistant manager, six of my seven coaches, and my four scouts were all unemployed scouts who I managed to sign to £20 p/w deals. A coach as good as the ones I've got would have almost certainly cost me £40 p/w, and a new ass man would have probably been out of my £50 p/w budget.

Yup :gthumb:

another tip for LLM.. well all managers. when a team bids for one of your players.. set the fee they pay you straight away to 0. then click over 24 months. and double what they offered.. they pay :biggrin:
Reply 95
Vintage
another tip for LLM.. well all managers. when a team bids for one of your players.. set the fee they pay you straight away to 0. then click over 24 months. and double what they offered.. they pay :biggrin:
Ah, so there are still a few transfer tricks left in the system :biggrin: Downside to that is that you may need the cash right away and you need to wait 2 years to get it all :rolleyes: Mind you, if I was to sell one of my top-valued players that way, I'd get nearly enough cash to cover the wage bill each month :smile:
I miss the good ol' days of cheating your way to get great players on free transfers from big teams...seeing Michael Owen move from Liverpool to Man Utd for £0 was great for a bit of a laugh :biggrin:

I remember playing a game in CM00/01, where I played through a season with Brighton or Rushden or someone, and teams like Man Utd and Bolton were interested in my top player...he was valued at £50,000 or something, and Bolton put in an offer of £600,000 to buy him...and I was stupid enough to reject it, too :redface:
The problem is, with the game, the big sides are always in the best position to make money, as players values are actually at their largest for a big side, so if you are so inclined, snap up some cheap, obviously decent players, with a big club, from small clubs, then sell them on for a big profit (used this trick a couple of times with financially challenged top flight clubs, buying eastern european players mostly, then making millions on each of them), though it can be risky if they don't sell, lowering squad morale.
Reply 97
recurring
Has anyone got some suggestions for a Championship or League 1 team to start the game as? Which teams in these leagues tend to have a bit more cash to splash :wink:

Mk Dons :biggrin:
Reply 98
any one know any good youngsters to buy? i realized that the argentinians, brazilian and italian under 20's have players with amazing technical abilities, but their fitness, pace, acceleration suck
Reply 99
oswaldlobo
any one know any good youngsters to buy? i realized that the argentinians, brazilian and italian under 20's have players with amazing technical abilities, but their fitness, pace, acceleration suck
Get a top fitness coach and that should be of very little concern to you :wink:

If you absolutely have to, get yourself a copy of FM Scout v3.30b5. We can't really tell you who to get because many workers have random values for some/all of their stats. There are some no-brainers like Vincent Kompany, but some great players in one person's game may never live up to much in another person's game.

Latest