The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

History interview at QMUL went AWFUL?

I had my interview yesterday for History and it went HORRIBLE.
I have the flu, and my nose is red (and runny - albeit stopped during the interview, thank god) and I just look pale, tired and a sore throat. It doesn't help that I had a two hour early train journey. When I was at my interview, I started off with a wispy voice and I just got nervous. He started biting his lips at me.. :| it got awkward, and it really put me off. I didn't specify things when he asked questions, my brain just wasn't making sense and it didn't help that I started coughing and my face was getting slightly sweaty - it was due to my flu - and I think I completely blew it. I used colloquial language and embarrassingly repeated 'like' several times. I was completely zoned out and all I wanted to do was sleep. He asked me about a writer in my personal statement - Edith Wharton - and I have read her books, but I COMPLETELY FORGOT THE BOOK NAME. I FORGOT EVERYTHING. I had to blab. It went so bad.
I really wanted to go Queens but I think I missed out and ruined my chance. :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Utterly-confused
I had my interview yesterday for History and it went HORRIBLE.
I have the flu, and my nose is red (and runny - albeit stopped during the interview, thank god) and I just look pale, tired and a sore throat. It doesn't help that I had a two hour early train journey. When I was at my interview, I started off with a wispy voice and I just got nervous. He started biting his lips at me.. :| it got awkward, and it really put me off. I didn't specify things when he asked questions, my brain just wasn't making sense and it didn't help that I started coughing and my face was getting slightly sweaty - it was due to my flu - and I think I completely blew it. I used colloquial language and embarrassingly repeated 'like' several times. I was completely zoned out and all I wanted to do was sleep. He asked me about a writer in my personal statement - Edith Wharton - and I have read her books, but I COMPLETELY FORGOT THE BOOK NAME. I FORGOT EVERYTHING. I had to blab. It went so bad.
I really wanted to go Queens but I think I missed out and ruined my chance. :frown:

Don't worry too much, I also went on Wednesday. The interviews were pretty informal, I'm sure they could see that you were ill. Just have your fingers crossed. :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by S.amos
Don't worry too much, I also went on Wednesday. The interviews were pretty informal, I'm sure they could see that you were ill. Just have your fingers crossed. :smile:

Could you elaborate on the interview? I've got mine on wednesday and it will be the first one I have so I'm pretty nervous haha
Fun fact most of our history professors take the interview as a very informal thing and sometimes say or do things just to screw with incoming freshers. :wink: I wouldn't really worry about it. They understand that applicants are all really twitchy and nervous, and I'm sure they could see that you weren't feeling well. They're really very lenient. They want you to do well, want you to get accepted... it's entirely possible that you blew it, sure, I'm not saying that can't happen, but it's equally possible that the professor totally understood. (As a side note, nobody here calls QMUL 'Queens' due to confusion with Queen's University Belfast and other schools.)
*awfully

Nothing you can do about it now. Chin up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending