The Student Room Group

Year 13, Dentistry

I want to apply for dentistry, which I know is hyper competitive, am I even able to get a solid chance at an offer with my grades?
GCSEs:9999888887 (9s in English and maths)
A level predicted s 3 A* (bio, chem and maths)
UCAT: 2600, band 2 (devastated with this, wasted a whole summer)
Should I even bother with an application, I don’t even know where to begin. Appreciate the help
Yes you can still apply.
QMUL - 50% Predicted Grades, 50% UCAT
Leeds - focus on GCSEs, less than UCAT
Cardiff - focus on GCSEs
Plymouth - low UCAT cut off, I think 2400
Also double check UCAT cut off for Sheffield and Newcastle, I think it is pretty low
(edited 7 months ago)
^ Above are places that you can apply to and the different academic weighings for interview selection, may want to double check
NOTE:
QMUL is a London uni and is quite competitive in general - I'm not to certain on what the cut-off point is
Cardiff has a weird interview and prefers Welsh students over RUK students (also they look at your band - which you did well in so don't panic!)
Leeds has just converted from BMAT to UCAT so am expecting higher numbers of applicants there is no UCAT cut-off per se, but there are expecting to use GCSEs weighing heavily (not clarified how much but slightly more than UCAT)
Original post by AntonSlayer
I want to apply for dentistry, which I know is hyper competitive, am I even able to get a solid chance at an offer with my grades?
Should I even bother with an application, I don’t even know where to begin. Appreciate the help

The average student room user ^^
Original post by unknown_____098
The average student room user ^^

higkey unhelpful...
Original post by toothysmile
higkey unhelpful...

brudda shush and learn to spell
Original post by unknown_____098
brudda shush and learn to spell

I really don't know what to tell you... Like wow... User is trying their best to get into dentistry and really stressing out about their results, contemplating taking a year out just because one exam went badly despite an excellent academic profile and you're making unhelpful, unfunny jokes... whilst ironically calling me out on a typo calling you out on your extremely rude behaviour.

That would even suffice for medicne, you’ve got plenty of options
Reply 10
Appreciate the help! Btw I don’t really care about people attempting to bring me down, I’ve been on the internet long enough to filter that out. Also, for Plymouth the 2022 cutoff was 2660, I got 2600, and I don’t think it will go down, so what should I do?
I really don't know what to tell you... Like wow... User is trying their best to get into dentistry and really stressing out about their results, contemplating taking a year out just because one exam went badly despite an excellent academic profile and you're making unhelpful, unfunny jokes... whilst ironically calling me out on a typo calling you out on your extremely rude behaviour.
Appreciate the help! Btw I don’t really care about people attempting to bring me down, I’ve been on the internet long enough to filter that out. Also, for Plymouth the 2022 cutoff was 2660, I got 2600, and I don’t think it will go down, so what should I do?

Bristol, Glasgow and Dundee also tends to have a low UCAT cut-off so it might be worth taking a look

Liverpool in particular looks very promising - it has an average of 2606 average UCAT interview and cut off was 2070

Also for QUB, UCAT makes up 12.5% of the interview selection score and GCSEs make up everything else...
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 12
Bristol, Glasgow and Dundee also tends to have a low UCAT cut-off so it might be worth taking a look

Liverpool in particular looks very promising - it has an average of 2606 average UCAT interview and cut off was 2070

Also for QUB, UCAT makes up 12.5% of the interview selection score and GCSEs make up everything else...

for queens in belfast i believe they use a point system, and i got 35 points which is 2 lower than what they accepted last year, is it still viable applying there?
Reply 13

I wonder if universities will look more at the entire application this year as they used to. The last 3 cohorts, many had teacher grades. Hence, the reliance on UCAT as the only public exam sat. The current year 13 sat GCSE so I’m wondering if UCAT is less important this year relative to say last year. I’m not saying it’s unimportant but that they might be more holistic. What do you think?
Reply 14

Thank you for the help man, got an interview at Liverpool alhamdulillah! Inshallah it goes well!
Thank you for the help man, got an interview at Liverpool alhamdulillah! Inshallah it goes well!

well done!

Quick Reply

Latest