The Student Room Group

UCAS Law application

Hi everyone! I'm applying to do law at Oxford, LSE, UCL, Bristol, and Warwick

I do understand and appreciate that these questions are always quite abstract and difficult to judge, however, would you say that my overall profile is competitive holistically?

GCSE: straight 9s
A levels: A*A*A*A (history, maths, economics, EPQ)
PS: is fairly good lets assume (from what other people have told me)
LNAT: I'm averaging anywhere from 23-31 on tests, but suppose I have a shocker on the day and get only, say, 25 (I'm strong on essay writing)
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Admit-One
Yes.

Nice, very concise. Thanks!
Make sure you apply to at least one lower-grade Uni that does not require LNAT.
All of those Unis are highly competitive, and even with top grades you may not get an offer.
Applying to both UCL and LSE is not recommended for exactly this reason.
Perhaps consider SOAS, as they're a 'target' London University for top graduate recruiters and a lot of Law firms. :smile:
Original post by RetroSPECT3.0
Nice, very concise. Thanks!

Hehe, I didn't have much more to add! It's a solid profile that will be given serious consideration pretty much anywhere. That said, as above, if you only apply to very competitive unis, you do run the risk of multiple rejections.
Original post by McGinger
Make sure you apply to at least one lower-grade Uni that does not require LNAT.
All of those Unis are highly competitive, and even with top grades you may not get an offer.
Applying to both UCL and LSE is not recommended for exactly this reason.

In terms of reaching the minimum grade requirement, I have full confidence in myself that I will get A*AA or better. My reasoning for applying to 5 competitive unis is that, if I don't get in, I will take a gap year, strengthen my application/interview skills, and reapply. I would rather take the gap year, try my chances again at those competitive unis, than go to lower grade uni. Hope that makes sense

Edit: Also, I figured (although I appreciate its competitiveness) that Warwick could be my safety net, as it doesn't require LNAT and that's the component of my application I'm most worried about. Yes, I completely accept that there is the possibility of getting rejected by all 5, but I do feel that there is a decent if not good-ish chance of getting a conditional from Warwick :smile:

I have tried to approach this from the angle I feel is best and most logical and have definitely considered that things may indeed go wrong; I hope I don't come across as too naive here :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
In terms of reaching the minimum grade requirement, I have full confidence in myself that I will get A*AA or better. My reasoning for applying to 5 competitive unis is that, if I don't get in, I will take a gap year, strengthen my application/interview skills, and reapply. I would rather take the gap year, try my chances again at those competitive unis, than go to lower grade uni. Hope that makes sense

Edit: Also, I figured (although I appreciate its competitiveness) that Warwick could be my safety net, as it doesn't require LNAT and that's the component of my application I'm most worried about. Yes, I completely accept that there is the possibility of getting rejected by all 5, but I do feel that there is a decent if not good-ish chance of getting a conditional from Warwick :smile:

I have tried to approach this from the angle I feel is best and most logical and have definitely considered that things may indeed go wrong; I hope I don't come across as too naive here :smile:

In all honesty, if you are open to a gap year, then I think it is worth the risk.
Original post by thegeek888
Perhaps consider SOAS, as they're a 'target' London University for top graduate recruiters and a lot of Law firms. :smile:

I may consider a lower uni, but not SOAS, given its financial instability.

Regardless though, do I stand a decent shot at the other unis?
I may consider a lower uni, but not SOAS, given its financial instability.

Regardless though, do I stand a decent shot at the other unis?

Yes, you have a strong chance for Oxford and LSE as you have 9s in all your GCSEs!!! :biggrin: But now you need to achieve A*A*AA+ to ensure you get in to either. Also a high score on the LNAT will be vital. :wink:
Yes, you have a strong chance for Oxford and LSE as you have 9s in all your GCSEs!!! :biggrin: But now you need to achieve A*A*AA+ to ensure you get in to either. Also a high score on the LNAT will be vital. :wink:

Of course, I will defo get my head down and revise for those A*s and LNAT score. But I'm hoping the preds and the GCSEs+ a good PS can get my foot in the door.
Thank you!
Of course, I will defo get my head down and revise for those A*s and LNAT score. But I'm hoping the preds and the GCSEs+ a good PS can get my foot in the door.
Thank you!

At Oxford for Law, only a small number were short listed for interviews and in 2021 about half of the offers went to A*A*A* achievers and a third to A*A*A and the rest to A*AA and AAA.
At Oxford for Law, only a small number were short listed for interviews and in 2021 about half of the offers went to A*A*A* achievers and a third to A*A*A and the rest to A*AA and AAA.

Exactly, that's why my on-paper stuff needs to be in top condition so I can get the interview and then the odds become something like 1:2.5 chance of getting an offer. I get the feeling I interview well, and am able to have a broad discussion about possible controversial points as well as general things, so I'd say that may work in my favour.
Damn, you have a strong application. Personally, I'm applying for: UCL, KCL, Durham, QMUL and another "safe option".

GCSEs: six 9s and six 8s
A-levels predicted: A*A*A*
Decent PS so far - going to get it reviewed by teachers.

I'm planning to apply at the end of October as my LNAT is booked in for the 15th of October. I haven't started preparing for the LNAT but I've bought Arbitio's course so I hope I can grind for that in a month and a half. I definitely don't want to take a gap year though, it just wouldn't sit right with me or my strict parents. You're going to get into one of those for sure!
Reply 14
Nice stats, I'm applying for Cambridge, LSE, Kings, Bristol and Nottingham

GCSEs: Ten 9s and a 7
A-Levels: A*A*A*A (Maths, History, Economics, Compsci)
PS: Fairly strong I think from what law 1st years have told me
LNAT: Average of 21.6 on Arbitio, ranging from 19-27. Hoping for >26 come September 5th (fingers crossed!), my essay will probably be the weaker of the two sections

I'm applying to Nottingham as they're a top law school and only want AAA. In that 2019 report on top MC universities, Nottingham were pretty high up the list. Best case scenario it's my insurance choice. UCL... I know they put a lot of weight on the LNAT essay, if my section B goes well on the day then I might switch out Bristol. We'll see.
Original post by toxicgamage56
Damn, you have a strong application. Personally, I'm applying for: UCL, KCL, Durham, QMUL and another "safe option".

I'm planning to apply at the end of October as my LNAT is booked in for the 15th of October. I haven't started preparing for the LNAT but I've bought Arbitio's course so I hope I can grind for that in a month and a half. I definitely don't want to take a gap year though, it just wouldn't sit right with me or my strict parents. You're going to get into one of those for sure!

Cambridge, UCL, KCL, Durham and QMUL should be your 5 choices. They are all A*AA offers too. :wink:
That of time of year again ffs
Cambridge, UCL, KCL, Durham and QMUL should be your 5 choices. They are all A*AA offers too. :wink:

Nah, I'm not putting my name slip into the Oxbridge draw unfortunately. I might do LSE, but not Cambridge. Especially since gap years are off the table for me. 3/5 LNAT universities are already stress as it is, when I haven't even started preparing for it. I'm looking for another decent one like QMUL.
Original post by toxicgamage56

Thank you man, means a lot, I'm really hoping so!
And your application is very strong too, Oxbridge should definitely be a realistic option for you, but I get your reasons so nw! My LNAT's booked on the 11th! Good luck man!
Original post by fg123_
Nice stats, I'm applying for Cambridge, LSE, Kings, Bristol and Nottingham

GCSEs: Ten 9s and a 7
A-Levels: A*A*A*A (Maths, History, Economics, Compsci)
PS: Fairly strong I think from what law 1st years have told me
LNAT: Average of 21.6 on Arbitio, ranging from 19-27. Hoping for >26 come September 5th (fingers crossed!), my essay will probably be the weaker of the two sections

I'm applying to Nottingham as they're a top law school and only want AAA. In that 2019 report on top MC universities, Nottingham were pretty high up the list. Best case scenario it's my insurance choice. UCL... I know they put a lot of weight on the LNAT essay, if my section B goes well on the day then I might switch out Bristol. We'll see.

You too. You did more A levels and GCSEs than me so fair play. Best of luck on your LNAT, I think you have a strong chance- I think Cambridge are more focused on your interviews in terms of your admissions, so dw you got this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending