The Student Room Group

Why was the interview rate so low for Oxford this year?

I'm not an applicant myself, but all my friends at school(and in my opinion, they all had a very good PS) were rejected pre-interview. I was also speaking to pupils from other school, and they said that more Oxford applicants were rejected then any year before. Cambridge applicants seemed to have no problem.
I'm just curious! :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I haven't noticed that :dontknow:

Of the 4 Oxford applicants at my college 3 got interviews.
Dunno, at my school 3 people applied to Cambridge and none got in, 6 people applied to Oxford and 3 got their offers

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it depends on the college and subject you apply for.

I'd say the Oxford applicants were more successful at our school.
Reply 4
CV? You mean PS?

Perhaps Oxford are experimenting with their admissions system this year. Or if you've had any pre-interview tests (TSA etc.) then they might be stricter on that this time around meaning you needed a higher score to gain an interview. In general Oxford do interview less than Cambridge (no idea why, frankly I think that probably causes them to lose quite a lot of talent), so it might be that they haven't really interviewed less this year and it's just bad luck for the people you know?
Original post by Bulbasaur
In general Oxford do interview less than Cambridge (no idea why, frankly I think that probably causes them to lose quite a lot of talent)

My understanding is that the faculties aim to interview 3-3.5 applicants for each place. That means oversubscribed subjects must be whittled down to reasonable numbers, which is why a lot of people can get rejected without an interview. Unless your school has a sizeable number of Oxford applicants, claiming a change of policy on the basis of a few people is somewhat tenuous. Especially since they might have applied for very competitive subjects like E&M, PPE and Medicine, which routinely reject many candidates pre-interview

Whether Cambridge's idea of interviewing everybody who stands a chance (however weak) of getting an offer is necessarily superior is questionable though. It might well be, but who knows. Maybe from Oxford's experience, the vast majority of offers go to candidates who have performed above a certain threshold on pre-interview tests/ based on their UCAS application? Hence their preference to weed out more people at an earlier stage.
Reply 6
Original post by mishieru07
My understanding is that the faculties aim to interview 3-3.5 applicants for each place. That means oversubscribed subjects must be whittled down to reasonable numbers, which is why a lot of people can get rejected without an interview. Unless your school has a sizeable number of Oxford applicants, claiming a change of policy on the basis of a few people is somewhat tenuous. Especially since they might have applied for very competitive subjects like E&M, PPE and Medicine, which routinely reject many candidates pre-interview

Whether Cambridge's idea of interviewing everybody who stands a chance (however weak) of getting an offer is necessarily superior is questionable though. It might well be, but who knows. Maybe from Oxford's experience, the vast majority of offers go to candidates who have performed above a certain threshold on pre-interview tests/ based on their UCAS application? Hence their preference to weed out more people at an earlier stage.

Yeah, that is what I was saying.

They don't really interview weak applicants. The threshold to be interviewed is gaining 85% UMS. They don't interview everyone either, it's more like 80% of applicants... at Oxford it's just a fair bit less than that. Also, pre-interview tests are often quite a poor way to find the best applicants, statistically. I can just imagine there's a few people who miss out when they could have gained a place had they been given a chance at interview.
Reply 7
Yeah, that is what I was saying.

They don't really interview weak applicants. The threshold to be interviewed is gaining 85% UMS. They don't interview everyone either, it's more like 80% of applicants... at Oxford it's just a fair bit less than that. Also, pre-interview tests are often quite a poor way to find the best applicants, statistically. I can just imagine there's a few people who miss out when they could have gained a place had they been given a chance at interview.

What statistics do you have that show pre-interview tests are poor at selecting the best applicants?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
What statistics do you have that show pre-interview tests are poor at selecting the best applicants?

There's this article, though it only deals with the TSA for Engineering and the BMAT for Medicine/VetMed (at Cambridge): http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/research/docs/prefective_effectiveness_of_metrics_in_admission.pdf

Pretty sure something like the MAT/PAT would have a high correlation to degree success.
Reply 9
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
There's this article, though it only deals with the TSA for Engineering and the BMAT for Medicine/VetMed (at Cambridge): http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/research/docs/prefective_effectiveness_of_metrics_in_admission.pdf

Pretty sure something like the MAT/PAT would have a high correlation to degree success.

Thanks for that. It's interesting that for maths GCSE performance correlates better to degree performance than AS UMS. It's something I've thought for quite a while, given how undergrad maths has that same feel of breadth as GCSEs do.
Reply 10
Is it just the fact they're interviewing the same applicants per place but more applications are coming in?
Reply 11
Original post by AKell17
Is it just the fact they're interviewing the same applicants per place but more applications are coming in?

I can't speak for every subject, but for Computer Science this year it was roughly 40%, when usually they interview over half.
Reply 12
Original post by TSR561
I can't speak for every subject, but for Computer Science this year it was roughly 40%, when usually they interview over half.

Of all applicants?
And do you know if it was the same proportion of interviewees that got a place? (E.g. 1 in 3)
Reply 13
Original post by TSR561

There were a lot more applicants for Computer Science this year; the absolute number being interviewed doesn't change much year on year.
Original post by AKell17
Of all applicants?
And do you know if it was the same proportion of interviewees that got a place? (E.g. 1 in 3)

Pretty close. This year for Computer Science we had 237 applications, interviewed 97 and made 30 offers, so 31% of interviewees got an offer. Last year the figures were 146, 81, 28 and 35% respectively.
Original post by Kim07
I'm not an applicant myself, but all my friends at school(and in my opinion, they all had a very good PS) were rejected pre-interview. I was also speaking to pupils from other school, and they said that more Oxford applicants were rejected then any year before. Cambridge applicants seemed to have no problem.
I'm just curious! :confused:

Cambridge has over the last few years always interviewed a higher proportion that Oxford. This is because Oxford accommodates interviewees for a few days, gives them multiple interviews, and has decided to use pre-interview tests to deselect weaker candidates without interview.

The number of applicants to both universities rose this year, but not by a significant amount. I suspect that little has changed, it's just that you are looking at a small number of the total number of candidates. It's also possible that people are misremembering previous years, perhaps thinking of Cambridge since they interview a few more.
Reply 16
pre-interview tests are often quite a poor way to find the best applicants, statistically. I can just imagine there's a few people who miss out when they could have gained a place had they been given a chance at interview

But they aren't used to find the best applicants, they're used to eliminate those who are least likely to have a realistic chance. There's a generous margin built in to the cut-off score.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by gavinlowe
Pretty close. This year for Computer Science we had 237 applications, interviewed 97 and made 30 offers, so 31% of interviewees got an offer. Last year the figures were 146, 81, 28 and 35% respectively.

That's a huge jump! Has there been a serious outreach effort over the last year? Did this just come out of the blue?
Original post by gavinlowe

Original post by BJack
That's a huge jump! Has there been a serious outreach effort over the last year? Did this just come out of the blue?

Just as a follow up to that; you interviewed a smaller proportion of applicants. Was the quality of the larger applicant pool diluted or did you raise the bar for interview?
Original post by BJack

Yes, we've been doing a lot of outreach. But we were very pleased with the rise!

Original post by nulli tertius
Just as a follow up to that; you interviewed a smaller proportion of applicants. Was the quality of the larger applicant pool diluted or did you raise the bar for interview?

A bit of both. It's fairly common that when one gets more applicants, the average quality falls: but we certainly saw an increase in the number of good applicants. And we nudged the bar for interviews up a bit: we needed to keep the number of interviews to manageable levels so that we had time to consider interviewed candidates carefully. I also think that the bar for getting a place was higher this year: I interviewed a number of candidates who would have had a good chance of a place in previous years, but were not as good as my best candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending