The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MSc Oxford, MPhil Cambridge

Hi everyone!

I have received offers for MSc Modelling for Global Health at Oxford & MPhil Finance and Economics at Cambridge. I am really struggling to decide between these two pretty different courses. I absolutely love the Oxford course as it is very hands on and allows me to participate in a global health research project in the third term somewhere in the world which is a really exciting prospect. I think I am also drawn to Oxford as a university more than Cambridge.

I am obviously not expecting anyone to make this decision for me, but would be interested to know some other opinions on the matter, such as employability prospects after the courses, what others would do and why etc.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Which degree applies more to what you want to do when you graduate?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
which degree would lead you to a better career?
Reply 3
Original post by phear_me
Which degree applies more to what you want to do when you graduate?

I am not 100% sure what I want to do beyond graduation at this point. Something quantitative - but I would like to think that doing one of these degrees over the other wouldn't necessarily close any doors?
Reply 4
Original post by beautifulworld
which degree would lead you to a better career?

I have no idea that's kind of what I'm trying to figure out. What do you think?
Reply 5
This

Original post by asargi15
I am not 100% sure what I want to do beyond graduation at this point. Something quantitative - but I would like to think that doing one of these degrees over the other wouldn't necessarily close any doors?

This isn't exactly helpful at this point since you're already going, but I don't recommend graduate school until you know what you're trying to achieve. It's almost impossible to give you advice in this instance because the programs are so different. You're asking about employability but you can't even tell us what field you want to go into. Surely you had something in mind when you applied to either programme?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by phear_me
This

This isn't exactly helpful at this point since you're already going, but I don't recommend graduate school until you know what you're trying to achieve. It's almost impossible to give you advice in this instance because the programs are so different. You're asking about employability but you can't even tell us what field you want to go into. Surely you had something in mind when you applied to either programme?

I know that I enjoy the content covered in both courses, having completed an undergraduate degree in Economics and Mathematics. I do not believe that going to graduate school as a mere 'stepping stone' for the future carries the correct intentions. Rather, I applied to these courses due to a genuine interest in studying the content of the modules. With regards to the employability prospects, I am almost certain I do not want to go into academia. I have considered various different graduate roles e.g strategy consulting, IB, PE, VC, but I do not know what I want to do for certain at this point in time. Hence, I was asking more for a broad opinion on the matter if anyone happened to have one.
Reply 7
I know that I enjoy the content covered in both courses, having completed an undergraduate degree in Economics and Mathematics. I do not believe that going to graduate school as a mere 'stepping stone' for the future carries the correct intentions. Rather, I applied to these courses due to a genuine interest in studying the content of the modules. With regards to the employability prospects, I am almost certain I do not want to go into academia. I have considered various different graduate roles e.g strategy consulting, IB, PE, VC, but I do not know what I want to do for certain at this point in time. Hence, I was asking more for a broad opinion on the matter if anyone happened to have one.

You are getting a professional master's degree with no intent on transitioning to a PhD or working in academia. That is the definition of a stepping stone. There's nothing in these courses that you couldn't have learned for free on youtube + a few months in the library so why add the credential if not to improve your CV?

At any rate - Cambridge for IB, PE, VC since it's in finance. Oxford only if you are committed to Global Health and even then the degree is likely only going to work for consulting. No one knows what that degree is. Probably what you should have done was apply to LBS for an MBA or else an M7 US business school.
Hi everyone!

I have received offers for MSc Modelling for Global Health at Oxford & MPhil Finance and Economics at Cambridge. I am really struggling to decide between these two pretty different courses. I absolutely love the Oxford course as it is very hands on and allows me to participate in a global health research project in the third term somewhere in the world which is a really exciting prospect. I think I am also drawn to Oxford as a university more than Cambridge.

I am obviously not expecting anyone to make this decision for me, but would be interested to know some other opinions on the matter, such as employability prospects after the courses, what others would do and why etc.

Thanks!

Why are studying this masters, what doors do you want opened to you afterwards...

With a masters from Oxbridge you’ll have decent career prospects regardless, id ask yourself where & what do you want to do. Are you more interested in working in healthcare or related areas or working in finance.

My advice pursue what your more passionate about.

Just an FYI,

Should you pursue consulting, degree is less relevant but you’ll have to really prep for interviews they can be intensive & each firm has a different style. Your unlikely to move from undergrad to PE/VC you’ll probably start on the sell side (unless you have “deal” experience), and if you want to pursue IB again this process is rather gritty.

For either top consultancy or IB grad entry roles, you’ll be having to smash the job applications from September 2023 (to start September 2024), IB is hard without internship experience, the internship carousel is less important for consulting but the offer rates are low (MBB is 1-2% of applicants).
Hi, did you go to the Oxford's MSc in Modelling in Global Health? If so, please share with as

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending