The Student Room Group

FGM rates treble in Britain in the last decade..

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/female-genital-mutilation-trebles-britain-10-years-1432922

My mum actually told me about this as she'd read it in the paper and it disgusted her, she's writing to the local MP to ask why hospitals are not forced to report all incidents, since it is a crime. She stated that realistically if she went into hospital with a new born daughter who'd been clearly "cut", the police would get called. (she works at a hospital, albeit not the area where she'd come into contact with cases)

Main stats in the article are...

"Out of 3,032 FGM cases treated by hospitals over the past three years, just 3% were reported to the police and 11% to local authorities.

Although FGM is against UK law, there has never been a prosecution of either a "cutter' carrying out FGM or a parent for allowing a child to be mutilated."

What do people think of this? Why are hospitals not reporting it if they know what they're seeing? Too busy to deal with it? Afraid of interfering and upsetting cultural sensitivities?

It seems pretty crazy that there have been no prosecutions if that is indeed correct.
Disgusting.
Reply 2
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Disgusting.

I mean hell some midwifes are saying the father actually straight asks them if they can stitch up the mess. They can't as restitching is forbidden by law. So if they can't stitch it by law and don't, why aren't they flagging this up with someone? Is no one giving them the confidence to do so? I mean it's pretty obvious what's occurred, it would be like me taking my child in who had bruises all over them and saying to the nurse, can you patch him up? He's been naughty recently so I've given him a good beating. Think a nurse would just let that slide?
Original post by joey11223
I mean hell some midwifes are saying the father actually straight asks them if they can stitch up the mess. They can't as restitching is forbidden by law. So if they can't stitch it by law and don't, why aren't they flagging this up with someone? Is no one giving them the confidence to do so? I mean it's pretty obvious what's occurred, it would be like me taking my child in who had bruises all over them and saying to the nurse, can you patch him up? He's been naughty recently so I've given him a good beating. Think a nurse would just let that slide?

I don't understand how people are letting this go. How can they live with themselves

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending