The Student Room Group

How to start composing music

Title says it all really!

I really like the idea of composing and it's something I'd love to do, but when I had to do it for GCSE and ALevel I was hopeless. Just wondering how to really get started...

It's instrumental, so no lyrics to worry about.
Would you start off with a chord sequence first? I'm writing for solo violin and accompanying piano.
Personally I usually start with a chord sequence although if I am setting words it is sometimes the melody first. I will play the chords round and round (using different inversions in the right hand so that the chords start to suggest different melodic possibilities) and sing a melody over the top. Once the melody starts to emerge it will often lead to other things. Main thing is to write loads and throw most of it away. Good Luck.
Original post by Georgeisamazing
Title says it all really!

I really like the idea of composing and it's something I'd love to do, but when I had to do it for GCSE and ALevel I was hopeless. Just wondering how to really get started...

It's instrumental, so no lyrics to worry about.
Would you start off with a chord sequence first? I'm writing for solo violin and accompanying piano.

Hello!
To compose music well I suggest you gain a 'good' understanding of harmony, which is essential. If you were hopeless at composing at A Level, maybe you were less focused on the theory work.

Composition involves a lot of knowledge which you should have learnt in music theory (harmony, chord progression / structure / varieties, instrumentation, genre ect.) Theory is important!

You should have an instrument which you can somewhat play - I used a piano and recommend a piano for you. A keyboard will do just as well. Learn the basics before you venture into creating a compositional masterpiece - it won't work.

Once you get hold of the basics, you might want to purchase some music notation software to document the music you create. You can use this to create film scores ect.
I use Sibelius 6 Student (older version) - the Student Versions are available for you to purchase at a considerably cheaper price (I think mine was around 60 pounds compared to the normal 350 pounds). Look on the avid or sibelius website.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending