The Student Room Group

gcse music

so i’ve picked music as one of my gcses but my friends mum (who was a music teacher ) thinks i should do the exam in year 10 (i’m in year 9 rn) i’m grade 6 violin and grade 3/4 piano and done my grade 5 theory but i’ve never done any composing- does it take a long time to get the hang of in which case i’ll take it in year 11 but if not i’d rather get it out of the way sooner rather than later. i’m just not sure if i can get the best grade possible if i do it a year early
Original post by person598??
so i’ve picked music as one of my gcses but my friends mum (who was a music teacher ) thinks i should do the exam in year 10 (i’m in year 9 rn) i’m grade 6 violin and grade 3/4 piano and done my grade 5 theory but i’ve never done any composing- does it take a long time to get the hang of in which case i’ll take it in year 11 but if not i’d rather get it out of the way sooner rather than later. i’m just not sure if i can get the best grade possible if i do it a year early

I think if you give yourself more time for the composing you are likely to do better, as well as improving in performing and theory, so I would probably say do it in year 11, so you can really figure out what makes a good composition. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
just button mash on sibelius enough for full marks alr
Reply 3
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I think if you give yourself more time for the composing you are likely to do better, as well as improving in performing and theory, so I would probably say do it in year 11, so you can really figure out what makes a good composition. Hope this helps :smile:

thanks, i was thinking that but just wanted to make sure i was making the right decision :smile:
could you start composing now to take the exam in year 10?
Reply 5
Original post by beautifulworld
could you start composing now to take the exam in year 10?

i could but only in my own time because in music right now we're doing stuff on the year 9 curriculum that they want us to learn- im worried there might be a lot to do as extra work which isn't really my preference as i enjoy being able to ask my teacher a question as soon as i have a problem if that makes sense :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest