The Student Room Group

piano grades?

So i've been into music my whole life but never actually got any proper lessons and i'd like to start playing the piano in y9 (this is mainly because id love to start composing, and the piano seems most versatile for that). anyway, i was wondering people who have gotten to high grades in piano (like over grade 5) how long did it take you? i already know that I'm going to put in a LOT of practice (like 45 minutes a day if i can) from the very first lesson. any answers/advice? thanks guys
i forgot to add, is there anything i can do in the summer holidays before i start lessons (like what can i learn that can give me a headstart)
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure it took me 3-4 years to get to grade 5 but it wasn't my first instrument, so I could already read music in the treble clef fluently. Do you read music? If not, my advice would be to use notes flashcards to learn what each note looks like on both the stave and the keyboard. Even just playing scales can help you get a feel for the keys that will be really beneficial when it comes time to actually play pieces. My advice would be that piano can be realllly frustrating at the beginning, especially when you start playing with two hands!! It sounds cliche/predictable but you really just have to stick to it because it will be so rewarding when it all eventually clicks. good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest