And Henry better than Messi as a striker? :rofl:

Defo is. That's why he outscores him.

Oh wait :rolleyes:.
Original post by Wilfred Little

Only on TSR :lol:
Reply 102
Henry was better than Ronaldinho imo though.

EDIT: Post got deleted by TSR.
(edited 10 years ago)

I'm sure you agree that Henry had a more varied game and was capable of a much greater variety of goals than Messi though?

Spoiler

Original post by Zürich
I'm sure you agree that Henry had a more varied game and was capable of a much greater variety of goals than Messi though?

Spoiler

Possibly yeah. I've not seen Messi score a back heel or bicycle kick.
/thread
Reply 106
Original post by Eloades11
Lampard > Zidane

/THREAD
Reply 107
Original post by Zürich

That's really what you're going with? Henry scored goals in a wider variety of ways. That's such an irrelevant point, just accept messi is better than henry ever was

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
That's really what you're going with? Henry scored goals in a wider variety of ways. That's such an irrelevant point, just accept messi is better than henry ever was

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea probably is but variety is not to be sniffed at either. I dont think its any coincidence that Messi has rarely replicated his form at Barca with Argentina. Maybe if Iniesta and Xavi had Argentinian passports then Messi would be as good for his country. I wonder why that is????? :rolleyes:

Henry could play in any team, with any system and any team mates. That's worth something surely?

Interesting that Ronaldo is just as good for Portugal and obviously did the business in the EPL too!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Yea probably is but variety is not to be sniffed at either. I dont think its any coincidence that Messi has rarely replicated his form at Barca with Argentina. Maybe if Iniesta and Xavi had Argentinian passports then Messi would be as good for his country. I wonder why that is????? :rolleyes:

Henry could play in any team, with any system and any team mates. That's worth something surely?

Interesting that Ronaldo is just as good for Portugal and obviously did the business in the EPL too!

Don't think you've been watching Messi for Argentina the last few years have you? :rofl:
Original post by TheLittlestElf
Don't think you've been watching Messi for Argentina the last few years have you? :rofl:

Only watch Argentina at international tournaments and a few Copa games here and there tbf. But Messi has been playing for ARG since 2005 and his entire career needs to be considered. If you watched him only at international level, you wouldnt say he was one of the best of all time would you?
Original post by Zürich
Only watch Argentina at international tournaments and a few Copa games here and there tbf. But Messi has been playing for ARG since 2005 and his entire career needs to be considered. If you watched him only at international level, you wouldnt say he was one of the best of all time would you?

Neither would you say of Ronaldo. :lol:

If we really wanted to argue that could say Neymar is the best based on his body of work in internationals.
Reply 112
Original post by Zürich

It's hardly a big deal, a goals a goal whether it's curled in from 25 yards or tapped in from 1 yard.

I put it down largely to awful management and a lack of a creative link between the deeper midfielders and strikers. Don't be so quick to jump on a Messi about internationals, Henry certainly wasn't the same player for France he just got lucky that he wasn't the one everyone was watching

Ronaldo's biggest problem for club and country is that was often invisible in the big games. He's starting to turn that around but he's still not what I'd call a big game player

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich

Come on man. I know you are not stupid. He's been averaging over a goal a game for the last two years for Argentina.

Messi hasn't played in our league but do you honestly believe he'd struggle?

Messi hasn't played in our league but do you honestly believe he'd struggle?

No he'd be the best in the league by a country mile probably. But I think playing with Iniesta/Xavi adds an awful lot to his game which he would miss. All I'm saying...
Iniesta is the best player in the world when playing for country.
Original post by TheLittlestElf
Neither would you say of Ronaldo. :lol:

You wouldn't say Henry was a world class striker either. Record in tournament years:

2002 - 10 games, 3 goals
2004 - 13 games, 3 goals
2006 - 16 games, 8 goals
2008 - 11 games, 4 goals
2010 - 6 games, 0 goals

Total: 56 games, 18 goals. Does that look like the record of a world class striker? If that was halved it'd be 9 goals in just under 30 apps which is slightly less than a league season. World class strikers should be scoring more than 9 goals a season.

Original post by Wade-
Ronaldo's biggest problem for club and country is that was often invisible in the big games. He's starting to turn that around but he's still not what I'd call a big game player

I would say Ronaldo is absolutely a big game player.
You wouldn't say Henry was a world class striker either. Record in tournament years:

2002 - 10 games, 3 goals
2004 - 13 games, 3 goals
2006 - 16 games, 8 goals
2008 - 11 games, 4 goals
2010 - 6 games, 0 goals

Total: 56 games, 18 goals. Does that look like the record of a world class striker? If that was halved it'd be 9 goals in just under 30 apps which is slightly less than a league season. World class strikers should be scoring more than 9 goals a season.

WC2010, WC2010, euro2008 were an absolutely omni-shambles from France as a whole. Not a great way to judge him really, he had plenty of top performances for France. Vs Brazil in the 2006 QF or in the SF vs Portugal in 2000 for instance.
Original post by Zürich
WC2010, WC2010, euro2008 were an absolutely omni-shambles from France as a whole. Not a great way to judge him really, he had plenty of top performances for France. Vs Brazil in the 2006 QF or in the SF vs Portugal in 2000 for instance.

I agree. Henry was definitely a world class striker.

Just using your argument and applying it to other players to show you why I disagree with it.

Let's not forget Best, Giggs and Bale -- nobody would even know they existed if they only watched tournaments.
Reply 119
Messi is no frills, pure perfection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest