The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilfred Little
I agree. Henry was definitely a world class striker.

Just using your argument and applying it to other players to show you why I disagree with it.

Let's not forget Best, Giggs and Bale -- nobody would even know they existed if they only watched tournaments.

My argument is not that Messi needs to do it at international level, but that it's an interesting way to judge him without the Barca midfield, probably the greatest one of all time that suits his game perfectly.
Original post by Zürich
My argument is not that Messi needs to do it at international level, but that it's an interesting way to judge him without the Barca midfield, probably the greatest one of all time that suits his game perfectly.

How often have Xavi and Iniesta started for Barca in the last two years though? With Messi in the team too? I bet he's played more games without that duo supporting him than with, though I don't know for sure.

And I don't see why we can't judge him on his last two years for Argentina. I've seen him play probably 7/8 matches for them in the last 18 months/2 years, plus the World Cup, where he did everything but score, and I think he's playing very well.
Reply 122
Original post by Zürich
Only watch Argentina at international tournaments and a few Copa games here and there tbf. But Messi has been playing for ARG since 2005 and his entire career needs to be considered. If you watched him only at international level, you wouldnt say he was one of the best of all time would you?

Messi was 17 in 2005. If you want to take those years into account and compare fairly, you'd have to look at Henry's, Zidane's etc performances at 17 too.

From 2006-2011 Argentina had an absolutely inept coach that failed to set his team up properly. It wasn't only Messi who struggled. In fact he was one of the better players.

Since 2011 you have a good (albeit stubborn) coach in Sabella and suddenly Messi excels. I'd say he has been replicating his Barcelona form since then, wouldn't you? His goal tally isn't quite as good but that is because he plays as a number 10, and for that position his assist and goal numbers are great.

How often have Xavi and Iniesta started for Barca in the last two years though? With Messi in the team too? I bet he's played more games without that duo supporting him than with, though I don't know for sure.

Number-wise, Messi works best with Pedro and Cesc (who doesn't fit the Barça system at all), which makes the whole Xaviniesta argument void anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 123

I would say Ronaldo is absolutely a big game player.

You clearly missed all the years he did nothing against Barcelona when they used to destroy Real Madrid and also when he scored 10 minutes into the champions league cup final against chelsea and disappeared for the rest of the game. Or perhaps the semi final against Barcelona that year where he took one of the worst penalties I've ever seen and did very little else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
You clearly missed all the years he did nothing against Barcelona when they used to destroy Real Madrid and also when he scored 10 minutes into the champions league cup final against chelsea and disappeared for the rest of the game. Or perhaps the semi final against Barcelona that year where he took one of the worst penalties I've ever seen and did very little else.

I didn't miss anything.

2004 FA Cup final vs Millwall
2004 FA Cup semi vs Arsenal
Euro 2004
2006 World Cup
2007 CL vs Roma (twice?)
2008 CL vs Roma
2008 vs Liverpool
2008 vs Arsenal
2008 CL final (Zidane scores a volley and is a big game player, Ronaldo scores a header and people move the goalposts, I'm not gonna dwell on the fact he missed a penalty, anyone can miss one)
2009 CL vs Porto
2009 CL vs Inter
2009 CL vs Arsenal

Ronaldo did tend to be a bit quiet in the Clasicos in his first couple of seasons, but that does not mean he isn't/wasn't a big game player.
Reply 125
By some peoples logic on this thread Torres > Messi because Torres has won a world cup?

Behave.
Reply 126
I didn't miss anything.

2004 FA Cup final vs Millwall
2004 FA Cup semi vs Arsenal
Euro 2004
2006 World Cup
2007 CL vs Roma (twice?)
2008 CL vs Roma
2008 vs Liverpool
2008 vs Arsenal
2008 CL final (Zidane scores a volley and is a big game player, Ronaldo scores a header and people move the goalposts, I'm not gonna dwell on the fact he missed a penalty, anyone can miss one)
2009 CL vs Porto
2009 CL vs Inter
2009 CL vs Arsenal

Ronaldo did tend to be a bit quiet in the Clasicos in his first couple of seasons, but that does not mean he isn't/wasn't a big game player.

First off you're going to talk about a game against millwall? Really?

A lot of the games you've mentioned are against decent to average teams like Porto and Roma. I must have missed the 2006 World Cup, I could have sworn Holland were the only half decent side Portugal beat and that was a crazy game anyway. Euro 2004 was mostly figo and the Porto boys who took them that far.

Zidane also scored 3 goals in World Cup finals and even at 34 dragged France to the final a lot more than Ronaldo has ever done for a team.

As I said he's starting to turn it around now, he's playing better in the classico's and the performance against Spain at euro 2012 was incredible

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd prefer to watch Ronaldinho, but I think Messi is better.
Original post by Wade-
First off you're going to talk about a game against millwall? Really?

An FA Cup final is a big game.

A lot of the games you've mentioned are against decent to average teams like Porto and Roma. I must have missed the 2006 World Cup, I could have sworn Holland were the only half decent side Portugal beat and that was a crazy game anyway. Euro 2004 was mostly figo and the Porto boys who took them that far.

Zidane also scored 3 goals in World Cup finals and even at 34 dragged France to the final a lot more than Ronaldo has ever done for a team.

As I said he's starting to turn it around now, he's playing better in the classico's and the performance against Spain at euro 2012 was incredible

You can argue some of them aren't big if you like. Point is over his career I don't think it's fair to say he hasn't been a big game player. It was more him disappearing against Barca than disappearing in big games.
Thierry Henry.:closedeyes:
Reply 130
An FA Cup final is a big game.

You can argue some of them aren't big if you like. Point is over his career I don't think it's fair to say he hasn't been a big game player. It was more him disappearing against Barca than disappearing in big games.

It was an FA cup final against awful opposition. My argument is valid, in a few of those games all he did was score and that doesn't mean you've played well. A few more of those games were against weak opposition. When you play for Real games don't come much bigger than the Classico especially in the champions league

Posted from TSR Mobile
Messi easily.

Ronaldinho was a great player to watch, he is a person who I watched in football and just say wow.

Messi doesn't have that wow factor for me, despite how good a player he is. Ronaldinho was just a scary player tbh.
Reply 132
Original post by The Assassin
How is Zidane better than Messi?

That's what I'm thinking. :s-smilie: I'm surprised people are thinking that. No doubt they're allowed think that but I just personally can't see him being better than Messi.
Original post by Zürich
Messi fanboys make me cringe.

What;s interesting to note is that their devotion to Lionel is such that they can't even bring themselves to admire others like C.Ronaldo for the absolutely one in a lifetime players that they are. Every compliment is backhanded or has to be phrased in such a way to imply that Lionel is superior.

Surprised nobody has come out with ''But Messi is such a nice guy and Ronaldo is such an *******!!!!!!!!!'' yet :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

people who say other players are better than him just to be different a far more cringeworthy

theres no comparison messi is head and shoulders above ronaldinho
Original post by Zürich
Yea probably is but variety is not to be sniffed at either. I dont think its any coincidence that Messi has rarely replicated his form at Barca with Argentina. Maybe if Iniesta and Xavi had Argentinian passports then Messi would be as good for his country. I wonder why that is????? :rolleyes:

Henry could play in any team, with any system and any team mates. That's worth something surely?

Interesting that Ronaldo is just as good for Portugal and obviously did the business in the EPL too!

messi has scored something like 18 goals in his last 16 games for argentina and has pretty much always been amazing for them he also had a good worldcup but because he didnt score for some reason people considered him a flop.

hate this he xavi/iniesta *******s when talking about messi as well he's the one whos probably far more influential to their game than they are to his with how much space they get just by having him on the pitch
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 135
Original post by baconbutty
people who say other players are better than him just to be different a far more cringeworthy

theres no comparison messi is head and shoulders above ronaldinho

In terms of stats yes, but didn't you just loveeeeee watching ronaldinho? Come on man, I know you did
Original post by SHOO
In terms of stats yes, but didn't you just loveeeeee watching ronaldinho? Come on man, I know you did

yea theres players now i enjoy watching more than messi as well
Original post by qua

I'm with you, but that's something all fanboys have in common. Similarly, you can't really compliment Messi without somebody bringing up Cristiano and asking why he doesn't get praise. Or argue that Zlatan should win a BdO without having people jump at you for that blasphemy of neglecting the other two.

I don't even know why Cristiano was brought up now, he has nothing to do with the subject. He's not even comparable to Messi or Ronaldinho since he's inherently a different type of player. He perhaps doesn't have as much natural talent but he makes up for it with his perfected technique, his athletic qualities & physique, superior work rate and determination. In that sense, to me Cristiano is more of a role model; I obviously prefer Messi as a player but I admire Cristiano more for what he has achieved.

Well, the reason is because every guy knows that that Zlatan/.Cristiano/Thierry would walk onto any cage from Amsterdam to Istanbul and show absolute ability with any players. I admire these players.

They don't need Xavi/Iniesta, they need a pair of boots...

---btw If anyone wants to know where to play 'proper' football in the Summer in Amsterda, let me know! :wink:

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Wade-
It was an FA cup final against awful opposition. My argument is valid, in a few of those games all he did was score and that doesn't mean you've played well. A few more of those games were against weak opposition. When you play for Real games don't come much bigger than the Classico especially in the champions league.

It's an FA Cup final. It's a big game. You wouldn't say the World Cup final wouldn't be a big game if Argentina/Brazil/Italy/Spain/Germany/Netherlands etc weren't in it.

You can go back and forth all day about 'didn't perform'. Fact is he impacted the game by scoring. If Messi does it and is quiet for the rest of the match nobody is gonna say he isn't a big game player.

I mean I don't even think he's been particularly great in that many Clasicos either, but he's scored in how many now? & since he's been scoring people have decided he's now a big game player and 'turns up' despite the fact he was doing that before. A lot of the times he's scored in the Clasicos he would to start off well then become increasingly uninvolved in the game as it went on.

He wasn't great in either of the CL games vs Man U but he scored in both. His job is to score, and he does it well in big games.
Reply 139
How has this thread even reached 7 pages?

Latest