The Student Room Group

Do you think parents resent students from state schools who go to top Uni's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Grammar schools mainly served the middle classes, despite all the hype about them being a conduit for the odd bright working class child.

I don't agree with that but I also don't think that the abolition of grammar schools is the reason for the structural problems with education in this country.

The blame should be laid at section 6 of the Education Act 1980

http://www.educationengland.org.uk/documents/pdfs/1980-education-act.pdf

This is the debate on the clause and it is good old fashioned knock-about stuff with Kinnock taking pot shots at grammar schools which Boyson loved.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1980/feb/12/parental-preferences

The problem wasn't grammar schools of course. The problem was that the balance was tipped against fighting to improve a poor school. The sensible choice for a caring parent henceforth had to be to bail out. It is that clause that created the sink comprehensive.
Yes. Private school students resent us. Recent conversation at a top uni i attend

Girl: "i went to private school 9k per term, if my parents sent me to a free school they could of bought a lambho!"

Me " i went to a state school *epic face* - Do you think it was worth it?!

Girl "Yes it got me to this uni didn't it?

Me " i'm here as well"

*she feels stupid for a while*
Original post by Octohedral

2. If sent for educational reasons the parent will expect their child to achieve their personal best. If a private school child and a state school child both go to the same university it's possible (by no means certain) that the state school child is brighter, and the private school child would have done worse if sent to a state school.

Investing in education is a risk. Parents do it to give their child the best opportunity, not necessarily the best outcome - for some parents even a small advantage is worth that cost, because they value their child's education above all else.

That is the crucial point which some in this thread are missing. To say 'well state school students go to Oxbridge too, hence private education is pointless' is a poor argument.

Assuming the same level of underlying ability, a student at a private school has an increased chance of attending a top university over one at an average state school. Here I don't mean 'underlying ability' as 'achieves the same grades'; I mean that both the teaching and crucially the motivation that a private school imparts shifts the distribution of grades, and hence unis, upwards.

Interestingly, this seems to break down at the very top of the distribution. The BBC the other day had an article showing that private schoolers with ABB were less likely to get 2.1s than state schoolers with the same grades. However, Cambridge's internal data show that amongst their entrants (around A*AA-A*A*A on average) the subsequent degree performance is not affected by the school the student went to. This suggests that private school parents really get their value for money if their kid is around a top 30 university level, but not necessarily a top 5-10.
Original post by ClickItBack
That is the crucial point which some in this thread are missing. To say 'well state school students go to Oxbridge too, hence private education is pointless' is a poor argument.

Assuming the same level of underlying ability, a student at a private school has an increased chance of attending a top university over one at an average state school. Here I don't mean 'underlying ability' as 'achieves the same grades'; I mean that both the teaching and crucially the motivation that a private school imparts shifts the distribution of grades, and hence unis, upwards.

Interestingly, this seems to break down at the very top of the distribution. The BBC the other day had an article showing that private schoolers with ABB were less likely to get 2.1s than state schoolers with the same grades. However, Cambridge's internal data show that amongst their entrants (around A*AA-A*A*A on average) the subsequent degree performance is not affected by the school the student went to. This suggests that private school parents really get their value for money if their kid is around a top 30 university level, but not necessarily a top 5-10.

Agreed, also the fact there will be exceptions to the rule- I was privately educated 'only' got BBB at A-Level and at a university where the vast majority are state educated I'm doing better than a sizeable number of my peers- on track for a high 2:1 atm which would be almost a first if you took out exams which I'm terrible at (hence the relatively poor A-Level grades)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Clip
Parents don't care.

The only people who do are class warriors.

The OP is trying to invent a conflict that doesn't exist in order to soothe his/her insecurities and envy.

You must be 12 years old to come up with a "you're just jealous" response.
Usually, the students from private schools get the support and preparation that they need, students from state schools have less chances to enter top universities. Btw, recently I have been googling and found a list of top Nigerian Universities. Maybe someone will find this list helpful
Getting top grades and getting into a good university isn’t the only reason that parents send their children to school. People who pay for private school are not just paying for a particular set of grades.
(edited 5 years ago)
Only the parents of those who don't. Jealousy is a terrible thing.
off topic but heres my *right* opinion on private schools:
if you go to one, its not an achievement whatsoever if you get straight A*s for a levels. you should be taking 5 and getting A*s in all of them
Original post by ClickItBack

private schools help students get into universities they don't deserve to be
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/cambridge-study-details-state-school-students-advantage-over-private-school-peers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending