The Student Room Group

How to become Chartered Accountant in UK?

I will start an Accounting and Finance degree in Bristol University this September and I want to become a CA in the future. In order to become CA, you have to pass 15 exams. Can I take those exams while still doing my degree? I don't want to spend 3 years doing a degree and further 3/4 years taking the CA exams if they can be done simultaneously.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by walkers38
I will start an Accounting and Finance degree in Bristol University this September and I want to become a CA in the future. In order to become CA, you have to pass 15 exams. Can I take those exams while still doing my degree? I don't want to spend 3 years doing a degree and further 3/4 years taking the CA exams if they can be done simultaneously.

Some degrees allow you to be exempted from certain papers, or at least that's the case for ACCA where most accounting degrees already exempt you from the basic 3-4 out of 14 and depending on the university it can be as much as 9 out of 14.
Reply 2
It actually says so here :

http://www.bris.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2014/sections/ACCT/79/admissions
If you click on those links you will be able to look in their directory and see which courses will allow you to be exempted.

Which organisation do you want to go for?

Accreditation

This course is accredited by the following organisations:
The Association of International Accountants (AIA)for the purposes ofexemption from some professional examinations.
Exam exemption is dependent upon passing specified units ; the list of relevant units and exam exemptions is available on the accrediting body's website.

The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) for the purposes of exemptions from some professional examinations.
Exam exemption is dependent upon passing specified units ; the list of relevant units and exam exemptions is available on the accrediting body's website.

The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) for the purposes of exemption from some professional examinations.

The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)for the purposes ofexemption from some professional examinations through the Accredited degree accelerated route.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
After ACCA, what do you have to do to get CA title?
Reply 4
Either way you're going to need the practical work experience requirement to qualify, so this doesn't speed the process up. In addition most training contracts if you choose to train in practice are 3 years in length, regardless of whether you've already passed some exams.

So why self fund the exams during university when you could let a firm pay for you to study them, pay your tuition and your exams fees during your 3 year wait for experience anyway?

That degree program offers some exemptions. You still need to get experience in accounting though, even if you pass some exams. It's going to take at least some time after university before you become an ACA.
Reply 6
Why don't you not do a degree and go straight onto a school leavers programme instead? No debt and full qualified at a young age.
Reply 7
Original post by M1011
Either way you're going to need the practical work experience requirement to qualify, so this doesn't speed the process up. In addition most training contracts if you choose to train in practice are 3 years in length, regardless of whether you've already passed some exams.

So why self fund the exams during university when you could let a firm pay for you to study them, pay your tuition and your exams fees during your 3 year wait for experience anyway?

Oh I get it now. So this means in 6 years from now, I will become qualified as a CA? :biggrin:
Reply 8
Oh I get it now. So this means in 6 years from now, I will become qualified as a CA? :biggrin:

Presuming you do a 3 year degree, get a training contract, pass your CA exams and finish your experience requirement, yes. Six years is a realistic timeline.
Reply 9
FYI:

CA = ICAS (they have exclusive rights to this title)
ACA = ICAEW
Reply 10
Original post by farquad
FYI:

ACA = ICAEW

Odd comment to come out with? :K:

I believe most people use the term "CA" just as a generic shortening of chartered accountant, not in an official sense. When the OP says he wants to become a CA, I read that as potentially being ACA, ACCA, CIMA etc.
Original post by farquad
FYI:

ACA = ICAEW

Original post by M1011
Odd comment to come out with? :K:

I believe most people use the term "CA" just as a generic shortening of chartered accountant, not in an official sense. When the OP says he wants to become a CA, I read that as potentially being ACA, ACCA, CIMA etc.

I thought it technically was:
ACA = Chartered Accountant
ACCA = Certified Accountant

but most people just use 'Chartered Accountant' as a name for anyone who has done a professional qualification.

OP- I am on a school leavers programme and will qualify in 4-5 years. No uni debt either.
Original post by Runninground

but most people just use 'Chartered Accountant' as a name for anyone who has done a professional qualification.

OP- I am on a school leavers programme and will qualify in 4-5 years. No uni debt either.

ACCA is chartered certified... thus the two Cs
Reply 13
Original post by Runninground

Yea as above, no difference. The 'certified' in ACCA is just a word in the title, no specific meaning. Chartered accountants are ACA, ACCA or CIMA.
Reply 14
Sorry to correct you M1011, but...

ACCA - Chartered Certified Accountant

(ICAEW) ACA - Chartered Accountant

(ICAS) CA - Chartered Accountant (oldest professional body of accountants in the world - exclusive right to CA designation)
Original post by kezzer
Sorry to correct you M1011, but...

ACCA - Chartered Certified Accountant

(ICAEW) ACA - Chartered Accountant

(ICAS) CA - Chartered Accountant (oldest professional body of accountants in the world - exclusive right to CA designation)

Did you even read what he said? They are all basically the same. The words are superfluous
Reply 16
The words can appear to be superfluous, but after three years of exams and work experience what ever qualification you receive deserves the correct designation!

All of the bodies have their different merits, but each one is unique and hence the reason for different designations!

If not why not just one body?
Original post by kezzer
The words can appear to be superfluous, but after three years of exams and work experience what ever qualification you receive deserves the correct designation!

All of the bodies have their different merits, but each one is unique and hence the reason for different designations!

If not why not just one body?

They are all chartered accountants. It really doesn't matter. I study ICAS but I don't get my knickers in a twist if someone refers to non-ICAS people as CAs.

The only time it actually matters is with regards to CIMA as they can't undertake statutory audits
Reply 18
Hedgeman49 it's good that your studying towards obtaining your ICAS qualification and that you don't get your 'knickers in a twist' but as your earlier post suggests you are studying to be a member, are you entitled to make such a remark when your not a CA yourself?

I don't know whether you have had an opportunity to check out the ICAS website but if you do, your probably notice that the Institute clearly promotes the uniqueness of being a CA, maybe this is partly do with marketing, as the words Chartered Accountant could also be abbreviated as a CA, but the Institute only, has the right to assign this designation after your name.

And sorry, but the ACCA website clearly describes members as Chartered Certified Accountants.

Does not affect any regulatory requirements buts it is the case, that it is a different qualification.
Original post by kezzer
Hedgeman49 it's good that your studying towards obtaining your ICAS qualification and that you don't get your 'knickers in a twist' but as your earlier post suggests you are studying to be a member, are you entitled to make such a remark when your not a CA yourself?

I don't know whether you have had an opportunity to check out the ICAS website but if you do, your probably notice that the Institute clearly promotes the uniqueness of being a CA, maybe this is partly do with marketing, as the words Chartered Accountant could also be abbreviated as a CA, but the Institute only, has the right to assign this designation after your name.

And sorry, but the ACCA website clearly describes members as Chartered Certified Accountants.

Does not affect any regulatory requirements buts it is the case, that it is a different qualification.

It is absolutely a marketing thing. And I already said ACCA meant chartered certified. My point is that the letters are different but they mean exactly the same!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending