The Student Room Group

Chartered Engineer status ?

If I do a BEng in Mechanical Engineering
Then a Msc in Aerospace Engineering
Both courses at University Of Manchester
Will that give me chartered status or do I need to do an MEng to reach that status
Original post by Sameerah_05
If I do a BEng in Mechanical Engineering
Then a Msc in Aerospace Engineering
Both courses at University Of Manchester
Will that give me chartered status or do I need to do an MEng to reach that status

Assuming both are accredited you can become chartered, now if the undergraduate is IMechE accredited & the aerospace is RAeS accredited you may have to jump through a bit more admin with whatever institution you choose to affiliate with (you would probably be able to affiliate with either IMechE or RAeS or even the IET with these degrees, but if your degrees are accredited by recognized engineering council organizations even if they are different organizations you’ll almost certainly be fine).
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Assuming both are accredited you can become chartered, now if the undergraduate is IMechE accredited & the aerospace is RAeS accredited you may have to jump through a bit more admin with whatever institution you choose to affiliate with (you would probably be able to affiliate with either IMechE or RAeS or even the IET with these degrees, but if your degrees are accredited by recognized engineering council organizations even if they are different organizations you’ll almost certainly be fine).

The mechanical engineering is accredited by IMechE
Aerospace Engineering is accredited by royal aeronautical society and the institution of mechanical engineers
I do not understand what you mean by institutions can you please expand a bit more about that.
What do you mean I would’ve haved to jump through a bit more admin
The mechanical engineering is accredited by IMechE
Aerospace Engineering is accredited by royal aeronautical society and the institution of mechanical engineers
I do not understand what you mean by institutions can you please expand a bit more about that.
What do you mean I would’ve haved to jump through a bit more admin

The easiest path for chartership would be IMechE then (from an admin perspective).

The engineering council regulates professional engineering in the UK, they are made up of various bodies / institutions (such as the IMechE & Royal Aero Society as well as many others for civil engineering, electrical engineering, physics, chemical engineering & more) these bodies award chartered status. So to reach chartership you need an accredited engineering masters & this means you automatically fulfill the academic criteria - for chartership, now it’s easiest to get chartered through the body which accredited your degree but if you have a degree accredited by another engineering council organization you normally can still get the academic sign off you just need to do a tiny bit of paperwork.

Sometimes people choose to join a different engineering council body to the one that accredited there degree (there are various reasons you might want to do this, for example if you work in a certain industry one organization might have more professional development in that area) so it is not unusual or hard to get chartered with a different body but a small bit of admin. The key thing is getting accredited degrees as your qualifications will be recognized by the engineering council which keeps a database accessible to all engineering bodies of recognized degrees.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
The easiest path for chartership would be IMechE then (from an admin perspective).

The engineering council regulates professional engineering in the UK, they are made up of various bodies / institutions (such as the IMechE & Royal Aero Society as well as many others for civil engineering, electrical engineering, physics, chemical engineering & more) these bodies award chartered status. So to reach chartership you need an accredited engineering masters & this means you automatically fulfill the academic criteria - for chartership, now it’s easiest to get chartered through the body which accredited your degree but if you have a degree accredited by another engineering council organization you normally can still get the academic sign off you just need to do a tiny bit of paperwork.

Sometimes people choose to join a different engineering council body to the one that accredited there degree (there are various reasons you might want to do this, for example if you work in a certain industry one organization might have more professional development in that area) so it is not unusual or hard to get chartered with a different body but a small bit of admin. The key thing is getting accredited degrees as your qualifications will be recognized by the engineering council which keeps a database accessible to all engineering bodies of recognized degrees.

How do I reach chartered status like what are the requirements and is their extra training
How do I reach chartered status like what are the requirements and is their extra training

You need to have an accredited masters + demonstration of various soft & technical professional competencies, which typically takes 4-10 years to achieve (4 year minimum). You apply directly to an engineering body like IMechE (they will keep your records of academics & employment online) and they have paperwork you fill out where you evidence you have met the competencies, you are required to have 2 chartered engineers recommend you & then you have an interview which lasts about 1 hour.

Lots of companies support chartership, and will pay all your affiliation fees, help ensure you have suitable work that will build up your work portfolio. Other companies don’t support it & you just manage it yourself.
Reply 6
So does that mean I need a job before I can get chartership
And then upload evidence to the engineering body
Reply 7
Original post by mnot

So it doesn’t matter as long as they are both accredited
even if they are totally different organisations that accredited but still under engineering
So it doesn’t matter as long as they are both accredited
even if they are totally different organisations that accredited but still under engineering

I wouldn’t go that far

Well it is up to every engineering body - so others maybe less flexible, but the IMechE (institute of mechanical engineers) & IET (institute of Engineering Technology) are both flexible within reason .. that said if you tried getting chartership in institute that is unrelated to your degrees their might be issues.

Generally id say they use common sense & there is reasonable flexibility.

Also when you say engineering, it is important the accrediting body is under the “engineering council” but both Institute of Mechanical Engineers & Royal Aeronautical Society are.
(edited 8 months ago)
So does that mean I need a job before I can get chartership
And then upload evidence to the engineering body

Yes, to be chartered you need professional engineering experience, which needs to be at a sufficient level to meet the various requirements, detailed below. But essentially, they comprise of technical requirements, as well as leadership, managerial and leadership, and interpersonal. Then to achieve chartership, you'll typically need to pass an interview (though this can vary depending on the institution - it can be an exam, for example, but I think most require an interview).

https://www.engc.org.uk/standards-guidance/standards/uk-spec/

https://www.imeche.org/membership-registration/become-a-member/chartered-engineer

Quick Reply

Latest