The Student Room Group

It is much better to use controllers for steam games

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The only games on PC I've ever used a controller for were the Assassin's Creed games. Outside of that I'm absolutely hopeless with controllers! Mouse and keyboard are more my speed. :cool:
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
No thanks. Keyboard and mouse every time, especially with FPS. If you need aim assist thats fine but most of us are fine with keyboard and mouse.

:cool:

I was having this discussion with a mate the other night and he wouldn't accept that playing FPS games with a keyboard/mouse is as easy as using a controller.

Basically he'd played quake on a PC and decided that using WASD was far too difficult.

If I have a game on my PC it's usually because there is only a PC version or the PC version came out way before the console release. If I want to use a controller I'll turn on a console.

My library looks something like

Football Manager 2009-14 (I've played them all since about Champ manager and a few years before but 2009 onward must have been steam only)
Company of heroes + expansions
Half life 1+2 + expansions and counter strike
Dawn of war 2 + expansions
Walking dead telltale game.

None of those need a controller so it's down to what you are playing I suppose.
Original post by Scumbaggio

Basically he'd played quake on a PC and decided that using WASD was far too difficult.

Thats because for FPS games, consoles use aim assist which helps locking on to the targets. On the PC version this is not there because of the precision of keyboard and mouse. If someone tries using an Xbox Controller on PC for Call of Duty for example, they'll get torn to shreds, because of the advantage keyboard and mouse gives.

Apparently, on the Xbox One, theres no aim assist on Call of Duty Ghosts. If this is true then I'd probably use a keyboard and mouse on that, if its allowed as an input method for gaming.
Original post by Qymberley
I stopped since mists of pandaria came out :frown: it's really gone downhill imo. And nope, I mained death knight with a few others on the side for when my guild needed a tank or whatever. I actually stopped since we got into a massive argument and disbanded >.<

Ah sounds lame. Yeah I've been taking a break for the 6 months but I may resub when the new expansion hits because except for arena at was pretty boring.
Are you the type with lots of alts then? :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by So Instinct
Ah sounds lame. Yeah I've been taking a break for the 6 months but I may resub when the new expansion hits because except for arena at was pretty boring.
Are you the type with lots of alts then? :tongue:

Yeah arena and PVP were pretty fun. I liked boss fights the most, with all the tactics and stuff. Yeah, I've been playing since burning crusade so accumulated a lot of characters, also organised the boss nights with my guild so it helps knowing that if we're missing a role I can fill it. What do you main? Healer? :tongue:
I accumulated stupid amounts of characters on WoW (18 toons at 85+, 11 of which are at 90, 7 of those are at 560+ ilvl), but once the raid content was all done on multiple of them I just could not be bothered. Only so many times you can get full completion of the HC Raids before getting bored of them :P Especially when like me you've completed it in all possible roles - healer, tank, melee dps, range dps, caster dps /yawn.
Reply 26
Original post by iainvg
I accumulated stupid amounts of characters on WoW (18 toons at 85+, 11 of which are at 90, 7 of those are at 560+ ilvl), but once the raid content was all done on multiple of them I just could not be bothered. Only so many times you can get full completion of the HC Raids before getting bored of them :P Especially when like me you've completed it in all possible roles - healer, tank, melee dps, range dps, caster dps /yawn.

that is proper dedication mate, there were legends on my server like you aha
Reply 27
I got dark souls in the steam winter sale, and when i started playing it earlier today i realised my hand can't stay put on WASD and reach over for L at the same time. So i downloaded motioninjoy and now use my ps3 controller. Best. Decision. Ever.

I RECOMMEND EVERYONE DO THIS.

Over, and out.

Good luck playing Dota 2 with a controller… (at least until they port it to the Steam Controller)
Just seen you around a lot recently :biggrin: i wouldn't say devout but I am getting there! Add me if you want, user is Qymberley

Well i won't be here for long:wink:
How are you finding the time to play games? :lol:
Will do once i have build my monster pc:biggrin:

please say you're turning 18 this month? :tongue:
Reply 29
Original post by kidomo
Well i won't be here for long:wink:
How are you finding the time to play games? :lol:
Will do once i have build my monster pc:biggrin:

please say you're turning 18 this month? :tongue:

Oh no where are you going? Haha, I just don't sleep so i have a lot of time to do stuff - bad habits die hard. Good luck on the monster PC, dual-screening by any chance?, I want to build my own but soon to be a poor uni student so that's out of the question. I turn 18 in June buddy
Any Lol players here? Gulid wars 2?
Oh no where are you going? Haha, I just don't sleep so i have a lot of time to do stuff - bad habits die hard. Good luck on the monster PC, dual-screening by any chance?, I want to build my own but soon to be a poor uni student so that's out of the question. I turn 18 in June buddy

I might just stay for a while:colondollar:
You sound terribly a lot like my male friend who also happens to not sleep a lot:lol:
4 hours max sleep is his medicine:eek:
Nope, I'm just building a monster base since I've already got a satisfactory 27" inch monitor:wink:
Aye it's an expensive hobby I have already spend well over a grand:frown: how much did your current rig cost?
2 months is nothing:colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by kidomo
I might just stay for a while:colondollar:
You sound terribly a lot like my male friend who also happens to not sleep a lot:lol:
4 hours max sleep is his medicine:eek:
Nope, I'm just building a monster base since I've already got a satisfactory 27" inch monitor:wink:
Aye it's an expensive hobby I have already spend well over a grand:frown: how much did your current rig cost?
2 months is nothing:colone:

The trick is to sleep 4 hours a day during the week, and then sleep an entire day during the weekend. Look i'm such a good example!!!11! :biggrin:
maybe i am your friend. :colonhash:
But 2 27" monitors would be heavenly, the computer i have now was built in 2008, but i've been switching things in and out every now and then, but it's gotten to the point where the newer parts don't fit anymore, so i've probably spent around 1.5 grand? :eek: But it was about a grand when i first got it. So it's probably better I eventually just build a completely new one from scratch. I can hear my fans changing and slowly deteriorating, it's making me sad.

.. 2 months :colone:
The trick is to sleep 4 hours a day during the week, and then sleep an entire day during the weekend. Look i'm such a good example!!!11! :biggrin:
maybe i am your friend. :colonhash:
But 2 27" monitors would be heavenly, the computer i have now was built in 2008, but i've been switching things in and out every now and then, but it's gotten to the point where the newer parts don't fit anymore, so i've probably spent around 1.5 grand? :eek: But it was about a grand when i first got it. So it's probably better I eventually just build a completely new one from scratch. I can hear my fans changing and slowly deteriorating, it's making me sad.

.. 2 months :colone:

:lol: you're a great example to many people, including my friend( and possibly me:biggrin:)!
haha possibly but i would ask since when did he have sex change and a name change? :eek:
I don't have it in me to live on 4 hours i'd be shattered:frown:

:coma: triple not double would be heaven!
I'm planning to have mine ready this summer( with exams and stuff april/may there is no point assembling it now..) :biggrin: My final budget will probably be around 2K:frown:
2008 is so so old now:lol: so presumably you still got the same motherboard? what have you upgraded?
I'm surprised it is still holding together after all these years....

haha 2 months will be over in a flash:tongue: guess i'll better start planning our date:colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by kidomo
:lol: you're a great example to many people, including my friend( and possibly me:biggrin:)!
haha possibly but i would ask since when did he have sex change and a name change? :eek:
I don't have it in me to live on 4 hours i'd be shattered:frown:

:coma: triple not double would be heaven!
I'm planning to have mine ready this summer( with exams and stuff april/may there is no point assembling it now..) :biggrin: My final budget will probably be around 2K:frown:
2008 is so so old now:lol: so presumably you still got the same motherboard? what have you upgraded?
I'm surprised it is still holding together after all these years....

haha 2 months will be over in a flash:tongue: guess i'll better start planning our date:colone:

Although, even though i only sleep 4 hours, the amount of time i spend in my bed... i don't even want to talk about it - it's shameful.
Oh my, triple is just beautiful. 2k - ouch. Though, it is pretty worth it. :colondollar:
I can't believe I've had it since 2008, but I guess because i only play games on it, and pretty much nothing else, my hdd isn't filled with a load of junk.
My processor is intel core 2, still runs quite nicely though so i'm doing something right :P Same motherboard, i changed the fans a while ago as the ones previously were just disgusting then my brother helped me out with the stuff i don't know about :biggrin: When i eventually build my own, it'll be my forever child crafted from my own hands and research :ahee:

maybe i can check out your hardware :sexface:
Reply 35
tried playing sonic generations with a ps3 controller

fml he wouldn't stop side stepping

I recommend a keyboard
Reply 36
Apart from crying babies, there is nothing I hate more than stupid controllers with their stupid analogue sticks. Dumbest thing ever invented. Games are meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard. Controllers are uncomfortable, extremely restrictive and completely ruin your gaming experience in every way. It's extremely hard to aim properly with analogue sticks in games where aiming really matters. Using a mouse and keyboard improves your gaming experience tenfold. I really, really hate stupid controllers and garbage gaming consoles. PC gaming for the win. Mouse and keyboard for the win.
Although, even though i only sleep 4 hours, the amount of time i spend in my bed... i don't even want to talk about it - it's shameful.
Oh my, triple is just beautiful. 2k - ouch. Though, it is pretty worth it. :colondollar:
I can't believe I've had it since 2008, but I guess because i only play games on it, and pretty much nothing else, my hdd isn't filled with a load of junk.
My processor is intel core 2, still runs quite nicely though so i'm doing something right :P Same motherboard, i changed the fans a while ago as the ones previously were just disgusting then my brother helped me out with the stuff i don't know about :biggrin: When i eventually build my own, it'll be my forever child crafted from my own hands and research :ahee:

maybe i can check out your hardware :sexface:

hahah don't we all every night:tongue: go on tell me how many?
triple is delicious:coma: maybe something for next year?
Time will tell if it was the right investment:wink:
i was expecting something worse like Pentium 4 or something:lol: but yeah core 2 isn't too bad for basic gaming:smile:
i can tell you're not a hardcore gamer:tongue:
We're quite the polar opposites of each other my HDD is filled with filth(not in that way! haha ) approaching 2TB:cool:
so you have a laptop?
Oh i wouldn't like to see the dust inside your computer:nooo:
I look forward to seeing what you've in store:tongue:

HAHAHA you can do a performance check on it:sexface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Can't get used to keyboard & mouse. I have a gaming PC but don't really play games on it. I use my Xbox One for gaming :redface:
Reply 39
Original post by kidomo
hahah don't we all every night:tongue: go on tell me how many?
triple is delicious:coma: maybe something for next year?
Time will tell if it was the right investment:wink:
i was expecting something worse like Pentium 4 or something:lol: but yeah core 2 isn't too bad for basic gaming:smile:
i can tell you're not a hardcore gamer:tongue:
We're quite the polar opposites of each other my HDD is filled with filth(not in that way! haha ) approaching 2TB:cool:
so you have a laptop?
Oh i wouldn't like to see the dust inside your computer:nooo:
I look forward to seeing what you've in store:tongue:

HAHAHA you can do a performance check on it:sexface:

depends what you mean by a hardcore gamer :tongue: And don't worry, i don't judge a person on what their HDD is filled with :wink:
I use my mum's laptop, because it sat under the sofa for about 3 months with no one using it :L so i claimed it muaha
Every once in a while i'll hoover the dust, but yes, it is horrible. It's been like 6 years! Full system scan :colone:

Original post by Silver Arrows
Can't get used to keyboard & mouse. I have a gaming PC but don't really play games on it. I use my Xbox One for gaming :redface:

How can you not play games on a gaming pc?!!? Actually, i take that back - I hardly ever play games on my PS3, i'm starting to think i only got it to play AC.

Quick Reply

Latest