The Student Room Group

Laptop requirements for physics degree

I'm looking at getting a laptop and I've looked at the course details for Durham and Lancaster (the unis I've firmed and insured) and I know there is a course requirement where I need to program. So my question is what type of laptop would be best to get and do I need a laptop to program if the laptops at uni will do it? Im quite interested in getting a Samsung laptop because it would sync well using the Samsung notes app.
At Lancaster they say
"To support your studies, you will also require access to a computer, along with reliable internet access. You will be able to access a range of software and services from a Windows, Mac, Chromebook or Linux device. For certain degree programmes, you may need a specific device, or we may provide you with a laptop and appropriate software - details of which will be available on relevant programme pages. A dedicated IT support helpdesk is available in the event of any problems.

The University provides limited financial support to assist students who do not have the required IT equipment or broadband support in place."

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
A lot of my coursemates and myself used our gaming laptops. It serves well for Matlab, COMSOL and AutoCAD like softwares. If you don't need to use designing softwares then any laptop works. You still have access to university PCs so maybe use them in your first year then think about buying a new laptop if needed.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Jam23455
I'm looking at getting a laptop and I've looked at the course details for Durham and Lancaster (the unis I've firmed and insured) and I know there is a course requirement where I need to program. So my question is what type of laptop would be best to get and do I need a laptop to program if the laptops at uni will do it? Im quite interested in getting a Samsung laptop because it would sync well using the Samsung notes app.

My daughter is in her 4th year of her particle physics and cosmology degree at Lancaster. We got a laptop which was an I7 8g of ram, 512gig. It was recommended by my IT dept of where I work because I have no clue. This has lasted her for the past 3 years. Shes done Matlab, python, and LaTex. She has teams and submits her work on Moodle, the unis platform. Shes also got Minecraft on there as well. Hers is a HP laptop.

This year with the youngest who is doing biology, we have just purchased a Lenovo Ideapad I7 8g 512gig this one is really fast. Shes got 4 games on it already and its not using much of the Ram when loading up and playing on them and having google on at the same time.

It depends on how much you want to spend really.

If you are pushed for budget, I would even go as to say an I5 is enough. I work on a Dell I5 and its pretty fast and have multiple programmes on there.
I would avoid anything under an I5 or Ryzen 5. Ive got a personal laptop of HP I3 256gb 4g of ram, and although its nice, it does end up slowing up after a couple of years. Daughter had used mine to play minecraft and steam on there and it takes 5 mins to load minecraft launcher up so its pretty bad lol. The 4g does not help either. I reacon If i put task manager on im on like 100% lol
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ghostlady
My daughter is in her 4th year of her particle physics and cosmology degree at Lancaster. We got a laptop which was an I7 8g of ram, 512gig. It was recommended by my IT dept of where I work because I have no clue. This has lasted her for the past 3 years. Shes done Matlab, python, and LaTex. She has teams and submits her work on Moodle, the unis platform. Shes also got Minecraft on there as well. Hers is a HP laptop.

This year with the youngest who is doing biology, we have just purchased a Lenovo Ideapad I7 8g 512gig this one is really fast. Shes got 4 games on it already and its not using much of the Ram when loading up and playing on them and having google on at the same time.

It depends on how much you want to spend really.

If you are pushed for budget, I would even go as to say an I5 is enough. I work on a Dell I5 and its pretty fast and have multiple programmes on there.
I would avoid anything under an I5 or Ryzen 5. Ive got a personal laptop of HP I3 256gb 4g of ram, and although its nice, it does end up slowing up after a couple of years. Daughter had used mine to play minecraft and steam on there and it takes 5 mins to load minecraft launcher up so its pretty bad lol. The 4g does not help either. I reacon If i put task manager on im on like 100% lol

This is really helpful! Thank you!
Just a question about storage, do you think that 256 GB will not be enough?
Reply 5

256GB might end up running out a bit quickly, to be honest.
Reply 6

If you have a lot on it, I would think it would get used up quickly, but when it comes to your work you can always have it on cloud/office 365 etc, plus external usbs if you need to back up anything. It does depend on your budget.
Generally when Ive got any new laptop i uninstall all the unneeded apps they they automatically put on there. it frees up a bit of room.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending