The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Lenient Durham?

My friend seems to think that Durham would be likely to accept someone they've made an offer to even if the applicant fails to meet the conditional grades.

Is this heard of at Durham for the competitive courses (e.g. History/ Earth Sciences/ Natural Sciences)?

Would it highly depend on how far off you were from getting the grades?
Reply 1
You're right in thinking that it depends on the course and grades but I would've thought Durham would be quite strict, they have plenty of applicants to choose from so have no reason to be lenient.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Zozzy
My friend seems to think that Durham would be likely to accept someone they've made an offer to even if the applicant fails to meet the conditional grades.

Is this heard of at Durham for the competitive courses (e.g. History/ Earth Sciences/ Natural Sciences)?

Would it highly depend on how far off you were from getting the grades?

At my Durham open day (for chemistry), I was told that from around 100 that they take in, only 2 or 3 are people who missed their offer and were let in anyway.
Reply 3
My friend who had an offer ended up rejected with amazing grades and one 'tanked' (B),irrelevant exam. They encouraged her to reapply next year, she did, and she got in. Of course, that isn't enough to go by but it suggests they are quite strict.
Original post by Solivagant
At my Durham open day (for chemistry), I was told that from around 100 that they take in, only 2 or 3 are people who missed their offer and were let in anyway.

That's interesting, especially considering Durham Chemistry went into clearing last year. I always assumed they had so many qualified applicants, they had no need for clearing.
Original post by Fango_Jett
That's interesting, especially considering Durham Chemistry went into clearing last year. I always assumed they had so many qualified applicants, they had no need for clearing.

It's a reflection on how strict they are. Many places available in clearing at Durham were really adjustment places. They will pick up people with higher than predicted grades rather than take applicants who missed their offer.

Quick Reply

Latest