The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbo54
As we're the first year to not have January exams (ie: I would have taken G491 if we had January exams), will the grade boundaries change to reflect the extra 5 months of preparation?

I'm hoping an A is ~45.

Either higher due to prep or lower due to so many exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Either higher due to prep or lower due to so many exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you think a B would be? I'm definitely not going to get an A in physics, hopefully i can try to get a B even though I'm dropping Physics. Really scared for this exam; i've got 5 exams this upcoming week!:frown:
Reply 42
Original post by kobobo
What do you think a B would be? I'm definitely not going to get an A in physics, hopefully i can try to get a B even though I'm dropping Physics. Really scared for this exam; i've got 5 exams this upcoming week!:frown:

Well, 42/60 was the boundary for June 2013. That's what's it is normally at (70%).

Who knows if OCR will lower/higher the grade boundaries. They always want the same number of people getting the same grades, each year.

Me, too. I can never get full marks on the microstructure questions (eg: 8c on January 2010.) It's safe to say I'm most worried for this out of ALL my exams.
Reply 43
Can anyone explain this to me? It's question 11. (a) (ii) on the June 2010 paper.
The question is: A sample is digitised....using a 16bit sampling rate. The maximum peak to peak signal voltage is 100mV. Show that the voltage resolution is less than 2uV.
There is also a graph of p.d./mV over time.

The mark scheme says:
Resolution = (100x10^-3V/(2^16)-1)

I don't understand where the minus 1 is coming from and I've never seen this equation before! Can anyone help?
Do we need to know about ultrasound?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kobobo

^?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400508728.380907.jpg

Do we have to know how to do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by urz13
Can anyone explain this to me? It's question 11. (a) (ii) on the June 2010 paper.
The question is: A sample is digitised....using a 16bit sampling rate. The maximum peak to peak signal voltage is 100mV. Show that the voltage resolution is less than 2uV.
There is also a graph of p.d./mV over time.

The mark scheme says:
Resolution = (100x10^-3V/(2^16)-1)

I don't understand where the minus 1 is coming from and I've never seen this equation before! Can anyone help?

No of alternatives = 2^16.

Max number is 2^16 -1 (as you don't count 0.)

For example, the max number you can count to with an 8 bit number is 255.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Robbo54
No of alternatives = 2^16.

Max number is 2^16 -1 (as you don't count 0.)

For example, the max number you can count to with an 8 bit number of 255.

Does this stem from log2(Vt/Vn) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400508728.380907.jpg

Do we have to know how to do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we need to understand the method, but it's very unlikely that they'll expectus to memorise the average number of lines on a page or something, since it came up recently.
Reply 50
Does this stem from log2(Vt/Vn) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think so.

Essentially it's the smallest change the equipment is capable of measuring.

R = 0.01 (assuimg the equipment can measure to 2dp) / Sensitivity.

Here's the wikibooks article
Reply 51
What structure do ceramics have?
This exam board is a piece of poop, the text books is like reading some flipping foreign text lol
Original post by 9876cd

Aren't ceramics amorphous - so they have really random(non directional bonds) structure patterns with more than one different sized atom thingys, in a lattice??
Reply 54
Original post by 9876cd

1.) Strong covalent/ionic bonds (directional) -> Strong
2.) Rigid lattice -> stiff
3.) No glide (as rigid structure and amorphous) -> Brittle.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do we need to know about ultrasound?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much percentage is each of the different sections of the total AS grade? All I know is coursework is 20%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
I kinda need help on materials, the stuff on plastic flow and crack propagation
Original post by Andromeda2.5
How much percentage is each of the different sections of the total AS grade? All I know is coursework is 20%

Posted from TSR Mobile

The specification says that 491 is 30% (60 marks) and 492 is 50% (100 marks), which doesn't make a whole lotta sense as 30+60+100=190, and when was 100 ever half of 190?
Reply 59
Is says on the spec we need to know about evidence of size of particles and spacing, is this about the experiment with oil and water?

Latest

Trending

Trending