The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ama2007
Just booked mine for the 7th July, going to start studying 1st of June.
This will be my third time so I have ran out of materials to use, I dont know if its going to be any use to do the 600Qbook again since i remember most of the questions, especially the VR,

Any other resources.

Does Medify have different sets if question each time or is it different?

Basically I dont have much hope for the UKCAT just gonna give it shot then do the GAMSAT.

Hey, i was just wondering when you registered for the ukcat this time, did you use the same login details on the pearson website that you did the two previous years?

Booked my UKCAT for late Aug! Let's do this!
Original post by SimpsP
Yeah, as RadioheadHermie above, did it last year and got 772.5 band 1 so i'm happy to give advice for anyone who needs it :biggrin:
But seriously don't start revising before your AS's and then give yourself about 4 weeks, that worked for me

advice on tackling VR and AR please? :colondollar:
Reply 23
Original post by panjabiflower
Hey, i was just wondering when you registered for the ukcat this time, did you use the same login details on the pearson website that you did the two previous years?

I'm in year 13, soon to be a re-applicant, and I have booked the UKCAT for the second time using the same login details.

Original post by DrHassan

My VR was quite dreadful so I cannot advise you much there but as for AR, I managed to score 900 in it by doing A LOT of practice. Medify and the 600Q book are perfect practice materials.

Tips/advice from users on TSR aren't very useful as they may not suit your "UKCAT style". After a lot of practice, you will discover your own tackling-methods that suit you. To begin with though, make sure that you spend about 45 seconds trying to figure out what the patterns are in sets A and B before ticking the boxes. Look for the most common patterns first such as:

Number of shapes
Number of sides
Shading
Positioning
Size

Then move on to the uncommon patterns:

Number of right angles
Number of straight sides
Clockwise/anticlockwise pattern
ETC
Hi everyone,

Can somebody give me some tips for improving your UKCAT score, without going on any courses? I have the 600 Q Book and I use Medify. I find it very hard.

VR: I am getting around 50% every time. I can't seem to find a way to make it any easier. At the moment I read the question and then scan the text to try and find the answer.

QR: Im doing poor on this, which is weird because I prefer Maths to English. I just find it so time pressured and some questions just seem impossible!

AR: I am ok at this, I am kind of getting the hang of it.

DA: This is my favourite on, I often get around 70%. If you have to translate the code, I just right the code out on the paper in English and its then really easy. I do believe you get 3 pieces of A4 in the exam so thats fine, and I never run out of time on this one.

(Cant remember the name of the last topic): Its so random, I'm getting around 60% each time but I find it so weird. Ie some questions I can't say are either "Very Inappropriate" or just "Inappropriate"

Any tips? Thanks.

** I am doing tests under timed conditions and am getting 50-60% which I presume is around 600?
Original post by DrHassan

AR I can't help you as I guessed pretty much the entire thing. Let me put it this way I got 890, 870, 710 and then a 620 in AR so it really wasn't my strong suit.

VR I got 870 in so I can help there.
From what I remember they were just phasing in the new style questions. With these it's not just true/false it's about finding which statements are mentioned etc. Skim read. Skim reading is your friend. You feel like you're wasting time but honestly quickly reading through the passage before you start the questions will speed you up immensely for the few questions per passage you get.
Also one of the greatest tricks I learnt last year is to 'triage' the questions. I didn't do this for VR or DA as they were what I found easiest hence the scores but for QR and AR life saver. Basically when you have five minutes to go on a section, regardless of where you are you go through every question left and you put a random answer. Then once you've done that (this is especially relevant for QR) you flick through the questions that you've just done that for and you pick the easiest ones, or the quickest looking ones and you do those and ignore the rest and you keep triaging until you finish. Seriously the last question might be the easiest thing in the world but if you're still 10 qs back stuck you'll never know.
Lastly your whiteboard is your friend. That is all :biggrin:
Thanks guys!
Original post by Mehhhh
I'm in year 13, soon to be a re-applicant, and I have booked the UKCAT for the second time using the same login details.

My VR was quite dreadful so I cannot advise you much there but as for AR, I managed to score 900 in it by doing A LOT of practice. Medify and the 600Q book are perfect practice materials.

Tips/advice from users on TSR aren't very useful as they may not suit your "UKCAT style". After a lot of practice, you will discover your own tackling-methods that suit you. To begin with though, make sure that you spend about 45 seconds trying to figure out what the patterns are in sets A and B before ticking the boxes. Look for the most common patterns first such as:

Number of shapes
Number of sides
Shading
Positioning
Size

Then move on to the uncommon patterns:

Number of right angles
Number of straight sides
Clockwise/anticlockwise pattern
ETC

I am re-applying for 3rd time, and used the same login details... Is that okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I am re-applying for 3rd time, and used the same login details... Is that okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure that it'll be okay, there isn't a set limit for every account.
Reply 29
Original post by pearson1995
Hi everyone,

Can somebody give me some tips for improving your UKCAT score, without going on any courses? I have the 600 Q Book and I use Medify. I find it very hard.

VR: I am getting around 50% every time. I can't seem to find a way to make it any easier. At the moment I read the question and then scan the text to try and find the answer.

QR: Im doing poor on this, which is weird because I prefer Maths to English. I just find it so time pressured and some questions just seem impossible!

AR: I am ok at this, I am kind of getting the hang of it.

DA: This is my favourite on, I often get around 70%. If you have to translate the code, I just right the code out on the paper in English and its then really easy. I do believe you get 3 pieces of A4 in the exam so thats fine, and I never run out of time on this one.

(Cant remember the name of the last topic): Its so random, I'm getting around 60% each time but I find it so weird. Ie some questions I can't say are either "Very Inappropriate" or just "Inappropriate"

Any tips? Thanks.

** I am doing tests under timed conditions and am getting 50-60% which I presume is around 600?

Well to begin with you could use an approximation to calculate a score overall. Basically you work out each score as a % then multiply by 600 then add 300. eg 0.5*600 + 300
in terms of making it easier just practice and don't panic about the timing too soon. especially in maths you need to accept you won't be able to answer all the questions so it's about tactical guesses really.
Oh also when is your ukcat, this seems rather early to start! I'm not starting my revision until August for an early september test. That's even more time than i had last year!
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm going to say that whilst it's lovely to guess your score - it's not worth doing as it will most definitely not be accurate. It could make you feel awful or it could lull you in to a false sense of security. Just aim for getting as many questions as possible correct.

The awful truth is just to practice. There isn't some magic trick that makes your score amazing - well, there is - it's practice.

There are strategies for saving time, which is half the battle - Medify has an excellent section on this - read through it until you know it like the back of your hand.

Practice, practice, practice! And then some more!
Original post by em.d_4
Well to begin with you could use an approximation to calculate a score overall. Basically you work out each score as a % then multiply by 600 then add 300. eg 0.5*600 + 300
in terms of making it easier just practice and don't panic about the timing too soon. especially in maths you need to accept you won't be able to answer all the questions so it's about tactical guesses really.
Oh also when is your ukcat, this seems rather early to start! I'm not starting my revision until August for an early september test. That's even more time than i had last year!

My test is in July so I think I need to start revising now to be honest. I only have 1 exam as well this summer so all the more resin to spend my time trying to get a good UKCAT score :smile:
Reply 32
My test is in July so I think I need to start revising now to be honest. I only have 1 exam as well this summer so all the more resin to spend my time trying to get a good UKCAT score :smile:

While lots of work for it always helps the risk is that you run out of good resources and then you're a bit stuck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marshton
I'm going to say that whilst it's lovely to guess your score - it's not worth doing as it will most definitely not be accurate. It could make you feel awful or it could lull you in to a false sense of security. Just aim for getting as many questions as possible correct.

The awful truth is just to practice. There isn't some magic trick that makes your score amazing - well, there is - it's practice.

There are strategies for saving time, which is half the battle - Medify has an excellent section on this - read through it until you know it like the back of your hand.

Practice, practice, practice! And then some more!

Urghhh, I was afraid you were going to say that. It just seems crazy how you get 1 shot at the UKCAT and the exam questions are from a bank of questions, so on the day you could just get lots of really hard questions.

The timing advice is good on Medify though :smile:

And right now, having just got 55% on a practise test, I feel pretty awful :s-smilie: :wink:
Original post by em.d_4
While lots of work for it always helps the risk is that you run out of good resources and then you're a bit stuck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Possibly, but I'm only doing one or two questions a day at the moment, once June 1st comes, thats when I forget what sunlight is, and start revising properly :biggrin:
Urghhh, I was afraid you were going to say that. It just seems crazy how you get 1 shot at the UKCAT and the exam questions are from a bank of questions, so on the day you could just get lots of really hard questions.

The timing advice is good on Medify though :smile:

And right now, having just got 55% on a practise test, I feel pretty awful :s-smilie: :wink:

The reason why I say trying to guess your score is kinda useless is - the day before my UKCAT, I did one of the official practice tests on their website and got 6/36 on the QR - which *suggests* a score of 300+ (6/36*600) = 400.

The next morning, my actual score for QR was 900 - so, don't be disheartened by percentages - just focus on getting as many questions right as you can!

And don't worry about getting hard questions! This isn't like an A level exam - there isn't just one 'right' answer - even if you're close you'll probably get marks. And each question is graded for difficulty, so getting a difficult question correct could be the same as two easy ones. It'll be fine! :smile:
Original post by Marshton
The reason why I say trying to guess your score is kinda useless is - the day before my UKCAT, I did one of the official practice tests on their website and got 6/36 on the QR - which *suggests* a score of 300+ (6/36*600) = 400.

The next morning, my actual score for QR was 900 - so, don't be disheartened by percentages - just focus on getting as many questions right as you can!

And don't worry about getting hard questions! This isn't like an A level exam - there isn't just one 'right' answer - even if you're close you'll probably get marks. And each question is graded for difficulty, so getting a difficult question correct could be the same as two easy ones. It'll be fine! :smile:

I didn't know that :eek: That makes it kind of better. Thanks.
I didn't know that :eek: That makes it kind of better. Thanks.

But, obviously, spending 5 minutes on a difficult question isn't worth it. If you know it's going to take ages, or you don't know what to do - swallow your pride, take an educated guess (exclude the obviously incorrect) and move on.

Half the battle is realising when it's worth just giving up on a question and moving on.

Yup I did

Booked for the 7th July because I want to get it out the way so i can revise for my GAMSAT exam which is more important.
Original post by Ama2007
Yup I did

Booked for the 7th July because I want to get it out the way so i can revise for my GAMSAT exam which is more important.

cool

how are you preparing for the ukcat?

Latest

Trending

Trending