The Student Room Group

Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores after 'strong demand' from Muslim

What does everyone think? I think it's a wonderful show of tolerance and diversity, personally.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616576/Subway-removes-ham-pork-nearly-200-stores-strong-demand-Muslims-eat-Halal-meat.html

Scroll to see replies

i have never been to this "Subway".

i certainly won't be going now.
Reply 2
What the actual ****?! I've never ordered ham or bacon at subway because I don't really like bacon nor ham a great deal so this doesn't affect me but what the actual ****? I'm all for being sensitive to everyone's needs and pleasures but, surely that should include those that eat ham and bacon? That's a poor decision by subway to me.
Reply 3
Sorry... is that a boycott I hear in the distance..?

What a ****ing awful business decision. Who wants a sub with fake bacon? If I order a sandwich with bacon I expect to receive a ****ing sandwich with bacon.
Reply 4
I personally find it very pathetic.
People are always saying that Muslims are donw-trodden. Yet, occurrences like this are happening daily. Remember KFC removing a swirl from their Ice cream's because a Muslim was offended? There is a form of Multicultural supremacy going on in this country, whatever they demand they get. It's like everybody is their dhimmi's and we should all be submissive with them so they can have their way. Islamophobia my butt-hole. Islamo-appeasement more like.
Reply 6
They're a business, they may do as they please regarding their service.
It's not like this is in all of their stores, just the ones in muslim areas. And just to say, the ones near me do this and it tastes the same.
Certain Muslims in this country are like that spiteful child who sees you eating something nice in the playground and knocks it out of your hands into the mud. "If I can't have any, you can't have any!"

How ridiculous.
Reply 8
Original post by Snagprophet
I think it's a wonderful show of tolerance and diversity,

How is removing choice a sign of tolerance and diversity?
Reply 9
Bigot brigade incoming
inb4 never gonna eat out at a Subway again. Spare yourselves the agony: it's all the same. Dead animals.
I don't see the outrage here. All they're doing is responding to their customers. I can only assume these 185 stores are in areas with a significant Muslim population, and Subway believe that the number of customers they'll lose from only offering halal meat there is smaller than the number they'll gain who can now eat Subway without going against their religious beliefs. There is nothing stopping non-Muslims from eating halal meat, or you can simply buy your lunch elsewhere if you don't like it. They are a private business offering a luxury item, they have no moral obligation what so ever to cater to what you want them to serve, they will simply operate on the basis of what they believe to be most profitable.
Original post by The_Duck

Yes, and people may refuse to buy their products because of what they've done regarding their service.

What's your point?
Reply 12
Original post by Meyrin
Certain Muslims in this country are like that spiteful child who sees you eating something nice in the playground and knocks it out of your hands into the mud. "If I can't have any, you can't have any!"

How ridiculous.

Lol WTF. Looks like you have experience
Original post by Reue
How is removing choice a sign of tolerance and diversity?

Sarcasm
Reply 14
Original post by The_Duck
It's not like this is in all of their stores, just the ones in muslim areas. And just to say, the ones near me do this and it tastes the same.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Subway just joined the retard list.
Along with all the supermarkets who continue to stock halal meat without labeling it.
I try to avoid such shows of pussy footedness and idiocy at the cost of animal welfare all for the sake of some whining *****.
This stuff actually aggravates me no end.
If you want to eat your cruelly slaughtered animals and refuse to be near my bacon, go move somewhere else.

The only redeeming feature in this case is Subway have decided to use pre-stunned meat. Technically not the 'halal' crap used in most supermarkets that aren't Waitrose or high quality (don't buy their lamb though..) but still that makes it more acceptable here.
(edited 9 years ago)
wtf

if the muslims dont want bacon in their food, then order it without bacon:angry:

its well and all catering to the need of muslims, but what about the rest of society?
**** subway, that company is going to get pwned now.
Original post by marinaim

If you want to eat your cruelly slaughtered animals and refuse to be near my bacon, go move somewhere else.

this.

if you want to live under sharia law, or a country that serves Islamic needs better, that's fine. Just move to that country. No one is being held here against there own will.
Business decision.. if replacing ham and bacon with turkey ham and fake bacon means they'll get more customers, then they might as well do it.

Just like gastropubs and Waitroses are ten a penny in Islington because it is largely populated by upper middle class folk. Just like there are lots of Kosher eateries in Golders Green because it is a Jewish-populated area.

Subway is a franchise, it is up to the owner of the shop to sell goods how he or she pleases.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending