The Student Room Group

Shoplifting

My and my sister went to Sainsbury’s to do our shopping/ my sister who is older then me went to the chocolate section she opened a box of lint chocolate at 3 and put it back I was in a different aisle / she gave me chocolate I didn’t realize it was from the box she opened / when walking out of the store we were both got stopped and banned and I didn’t do anything wrong. I was still banned had to write name of address / 3 days I received a letter of fine of £150. What will happen as I am a student will this affect me. I am so upset as I didn’t do anything it was my sister and if only I knew she opened the box I wouldn’t have had it.
You thought your sister was carrying loose Lindt chocolates with her?
Original post by Kt_20x
My and my sister went to Sainsbury’s to do our shopping/ my sister who is older then me went to the chocolate section she opened a box of lint chocolate at 3 and put it back I was in a different aisle / she gave me chocolate I didn’t realize it was from the box she opened / when walking out of the store we were both got stopped and banned and I didn’t do anything wrong. I was still banned had to write name of address / 3 days I received a letter of fine of £150. What will happen as I am a student will this affect me. I am so upset as I didn’t do anything it was my sister and if only I knew she opened the box I wouldn’t have had it.

It basically means you won’t be allowed to shop in that particular Sainsbury store again
It's kind of on you for not properly standing up for yourself at the time. I wouldn't have taken any blame or gave them my details at all since they already had the person who committed the theft.

Bearing in mind your sister was already caught no matter what, it's not like you're throwing her under the bus by expecting her to take the full blame or making things any easier by choosing not to defend yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by Mohammed_2000
It basically means you won’t be allowed to shop in that particular Sainsbury store again
Would this affect me when I apply to university or when applying to jobs in the future.
Original post by Kt_20x
Would this affect me when I apply to university or when applying to jobs in the future.

No definitely not but just means you won’t be allowed to shop in that branch again
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
It's kind of on you for not properly standing up for yourself at the time. I wouldn't have taken any blame or gave them my details at all since they already had the person who committed the theft.
Bearing in mind your sister was already caught no matter what, it's not like you're throwing her under the bus by expecting her to take the full blame or making things any easier by choosing not to defend yourself.
I did inform the security guard that I didn’t do anything wrong and that I didn’t know my sister had opened the box. Despite informing them the security guard was very rude to me and said I don’t care, they said since I was with my sister I would also be banned from the store.
Original post by Kt_20x
I did inform the security guard that I didn’t do anything wrong and that I didn’t know my sister had opened the box. Despite informing them the security guard was very rude to me and said I don’t care, they said since I was with my sister I would also be banned from the store.

Oh they can certainly ban you, you could object to the stores management if you really wanted the ban lifted but I don't know how realistic that would be, esp since the security are likely contractors.

But the address and fine stuff I wouldn't have indulged at all, two can play at the 'I don't care' game. I don't even know if they have any real right to fine you privately at all, after all your defence would be a very simple one.
Reply 9
Yes this is a demand letter. solicitors acting on behalf of Sainsbury's Supermarkets Limited and stated amount they must be payed is £150.
Reply 10
Original post by StriderHort
Oh they can certainly ban you, you could object to the stores management if you really wanted the ban lifted but I don't know how realistic that would be, esp since the security are likely contractors.
But the address and fine stuff I wouldn't have indulged at all, two can play at the 'I don't care' game. I don't even know if they have any real right to fine you privately at all, after all your defence would be a very simple one.
I contacted the store manager on the day I was banned and send an apology letter and explained the situation. I have not yet had a response back. The security guard stated that we had to write our name / address otherwise we could not leave the store.
Reply 11
Thank you for sending this I will have a look in more depth. Would this take me to court? I am a student and I am currently applying to university would does affect me in the future applying to jobs.
Reply 12
Original post by Admit-One
You thought your sister was carrying loose Lindt chocolates with her?
I was not aware that she took it from an unopened box. My older sister is always offering me food/snacks ect so when she offered me a lint I didn’t think anything of it and was unware.
Original post by Mohammed_2000
Would this go on your DBS Record?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending