The Student Room Group

Define Britain as a nation state of christians only

would this be considered racist/discriminatory if so is the same logic applied to israel? or will people defend his actions and say its justified because of the holocaust

considering jews are apparently a race (disagree with this how can a religion be a race) surely this shows how racist israel is?

Netanyahu want to define israel as state for jews only :

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/04/binyamin-netanyahu-israel-jewish-state?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ihateusernames
would this be considered racist/discriminatory if so is the same logic applied to israel? or will people defend his actions and say its justified because of the holocaust

considering jews are apparently a race (disagree with this how can a religion be a race) surely this shows how racist israel is?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/04/binyamin-netanyahu-israel-jewish-state?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

I think you misunderstand the proposal, as well as the nature of the Jewish people.

Regarding the proposal, it does not seek to define Israel as 'a state for Jews only.' This would imply that only Jews would be allowed full citizenship in the state. This is clearly not what is being proposed. Indeed, the proposal would see no changes in the rights or status of Israel's 2 million or so non-Jewish citizens, who already enjoy religious, political, and personal rights equivalent to those enjoyed by Israeli Jews. The proposal refers not to the status of individual citizens but to the character of the state and its institutions.

The proposal should be seen as primarily prophylactic, in that it does not seek to change the current situation, but rather to entrench the current situation in constitutional law so that it will be harder to change.

Regarding the nature of the Jewish people, Jews are neither simply a religious group nor are they a race. Jews are rather better described as a ritually-defined ethnic group. It is possible to become part of the Jewish people both by descent and by conversion, and the group of people who are Jews overlaps with, but is not identical to, the group of people who believe in the religion of Judaism.
Original post by ihateusernames

I do not see anything wrong with it. In many Middle Eastern states you cannot get citizenship unless your father has Arab citizenship and belongs to one of the native Arab ethnic groups. I do not believe this is racist as it does not target a specific race of people and as far as I am concerned Israelis have the right to determine who they want in their country

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending