The Student Room Group

OCR MEI Mechanics 2 (M2) 19th May 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inneedofhelpp
I just did this paper and completely messed up, I've been getting As in all of them and just got a C in this

How did you do question 3 i) ii) & iii)

and a lll of question 4 i had no clue

I did none of question 3, it completely stumped me. I couldn't even show part I) :frown: I'm sorry I can't help you there :/ um do you want worked solutions for some of 4? :smile:
I just did this paper and completely messed up, I've been getting As in all of them and just got a C in this

How did you do question 3 i) ii) & iii)

and a lll of question 4 i had no clue

Here are worked solutions to 4 a), im sorry that i cant help with 3. it was an awful question! i hope this helps :/
Are there any thread(s) for C1 and C2?
Reply 43
Does anyone understand how to do 1 b on the june 2011 paper?
Reply 44
Original post by Keep Up

Heh, I'm also doing that paper currently. Just finished Q1. For b, you have to treat the ball as a projectile, to work out its speed before it hits plane (remember, the horizontal component stays the same). Now you can work out tan a by the (vertical component)/(horizontal component). To work out c, use: Tan (b)=etan (a) and tan (c)=e²tan (a). Let me know if you want me to post my working.
Original post by Keep Up

hope this helps you :/
Right here are my notes which I just made for answering question 3 for June 2013: DSCF0005.jpgDSCF0006.jpg

(Just realized that I missed out the units of a few of the forces! It's always worth checking :redface:)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
Could someone have a look at June 2011, Question 4bii? Why have they not taking into account the component of weight down the slope of the sledge? Also, cannot make much sense of 2iv.
Original post by Bounce00100
Right here are my notes which I just made for answering question 3 for June 2013: DSCF0005.jpgDSCF0006.jpg

(Just realized that I missed out the units of a few of the forces! It's always worth checking :redface:)

thanks mate you're a life saver

do you happen to have 4 b i can look swell please??
Reply 49
Argh mechanics is so messy! I got an A in M1, and now it feels like I'd be lucky to pass M2...(I hope when I get my results I can say that was a massive exaggeration).

The worst part about it is how there are so few concepts involved, it almost forces them to drop a couple of trick questions in...

Sorry, I mean, positive thoughts, guys, we're all gonna score highly on this one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks mate you're a life saver

do you happen to have 4 b i can look swell please??

Do you want all the workings for 4)b) or just some parts? :smile:
Original post by theCreator
Do you want all the workings for 4)b) or just some parts? :smile:

workings please
workings please

My workings for this question are actually pretty bad. For 4)b)ii) I did a really long method which was so unnecessary but I still got the right answer. Then for 4)b)iv) I actually misread the question and worked out tension-OQ instead of QP, when infact I unnecessarily worked out QP correctly in the previous part anyway :colondollar: Sorry it's not too clear.

001.jpg002.jpg

edit: Does anyone think there is a harder moments question than Q3 in June 2013, I'd really get some more practise on the difficult moments questions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by theCreator
My workings for this question are actually pretty bad. For 4)b)ii) I did a really long method which was so unnecessary but I still got the right answer. Then for 4)b)iv) I actually misread the question and worked out tension-OQ instead of QP, when infact I unnecessarily worked out QP correctly in the previous part anyway :colondollar: Sorry it's not too clear.

001.jpg002.jpg

edit: Does anyone think there is a harder moments question than Q3 in June 2013, I'd really get some more practise on the difficult moments questions.

omg i dont understand how i didn't get part ii, thank you
good luck everybody! hopefully there will be a lot of nice things in this exam :smile: if not, lets all lower the grade boundaries a bit :wink: hahah! good luck! thank you everyone for your help :smile:
Original post by mathematigeek
good luck everybody! hopefully there will be a lot of nice things in this exam :smile: if not, lets all lower the grade boundaries a bit :wink: hahah! good luck! thank you everyone for your help :smile:

Haha a lot of nice things would be wonderful, so fingers crossed! Hehe lets not aim to lower the grade boundaries! I'd argue that's a bad tactic :tongue: Good luck to you too! :biggrin:
Reply 56
Original post by Bounce00100
Hmm, I know what you mean, everyone makes silly mistakes, some more than others (I used to have a massive problem with doing it) but the way I got around it in both mechanics and physics, is while you read the question write down the numerical data that you know, or draw the situation if appropriate (and label all the forces if it is a force diagram, that way the examiner knows which forces you used for what), and write down the possible equations you know, and then just think, which equations are most appropriate/simplest in this situation, then work out a series of steps you will use to solve your question. Then slowly go through thinking carefully whether what you are doing makes sense, do not rush! And make sure your working makes sense, and use written comments like state which direction you are resolving, or whether your moments are antiC/W or C/W. Finally once you get to your final answer/answers, consider whether the magnitude and direction seem reasonable, for example someone in free fall is unlikely to be travelling much over terminal velocity (although they might try and catch you out) but if your answer seems a little bit odd, carefully look through your workings, comparing them do what you typed into your calculator. Finally with your final answers, STATE THEIR DIRECTION! you can loose a couple of marks for not elaborating, so if an answer is negative, write it as a positive, then state that it is in the opposite direction (this is where diagrams are especially useful). That's about all the advice on not making mistakes I can give!

I'd just like to thank you on behalf of everyone who has read this and benefitted from it! I'll try to bear these things in mind :smile:
Original post by jaetpa
I'd just like to thank you on behalf of everyone who has read this and benefitted from it! I'll try to bear these things in mind :smile:

Ah no worries, if I think of anymore last minute tips before tomorrow morning I'll put another post. But yeah main thing is explain what you're doing to the examiner, it's all very well doing maths and blagging an answer, but if you use an alternative method, it can be very difficult to mark unless you put little bits of writing guiding through what you're doing (it also makes it clearer for you when you check through, and is generally easier to think through that way).
Reply 58
Hey guys i know this is mei mechanics 2 and i dont know how similar it is to mechanics 2 non mei but i really need some help on this question and im not 100% sure if you guys cover it but if anyone can help me out i would be so greatful. Question 5 on attatched image is the one i cant do. Theres no non mei thread so i can only ask here
Reply 59
http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/manager_area/files/teaching/m2/m2mei_rev.pdf

Might as well drop that in here, dunno if it's even useful at this stage...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending