The Student Room Group

OCR MEI Mechanics 2 (M2) 19th May 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clayrocks
Yes i got that too. Could you remember how you did the particle explosion one. I didn't get the same velocities as you. :confused:

Think I said that both the vertical momentum of the two parts must be equal because it doesn't have a vertical momentum originally, so 2cos(alpha) = 3cos(Beta) and then I set the horizontal momentums added together equal to the original momentum so 30 = 2sin( alpha) + 3sin(beta)....I think....
Original post by Riemann
You had to do PCLM in both the horizontal and vertical directions to get two equations in v and u and then solve them.

Ah alright. I did that but must of messed up somewhere. Hopefully i'll get a method mark...
Original post by Surf
I also got these results...

Overall though I thought it was a pretty tough paper and I've averaged 90% or so in my mocks.... So crossing fingers for lower grade boundaries! I think the max I've dropped is 15 marks.

Think around 56 for an A?
Original post by Jackb1234
Think I proved y = 9a/16 right, got x = 0 and z = 5a/8?

I got that, made a sign error on the explosion bit in q1 and got u=32.1 and v=28.6
Anybody remember the angle that B made with the vertical? Think I got 35 degrees.
Reply 85
Think around 56 for an A?

I think that the January 13 paper was probably the most similar??? I personally found this one tougher than that - although you could say that the question on moments and stuff was easier than the Jan paper... so I think around 55 or so is correct yes!

Looking at those grade boundaries it is 53 for an A and for June it was 50.... :cool:

If I get less than a B though I would be really surprised - I honestly think a high B or low A - I can make that up in C3 and C4 I think....

How did you find it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mandragoran
I got that, made a sign error on the explosion bit in q1 and got u=32.1 and v=28.6

I got those aswell, you think we'll get an ecf mark for the kinetic energy bit?
Original post by Surf
I think that the January 13 paper was probably the most similar??? I personally found this one tougher than that - although you could say that the question on moments and stuff was easier than the Jan paper... so I think around 55 or so is correct yes!

Looking at those grade boundaries it is 53 for an A and for June it was 57.... :cool:

If I get less than a B though I would be really surprised - I honestly think a high B or low A - I can make that up in C3 and C4 I think....

How did you find it?

M2 is probably my weakest module for Further Maths, I'm doing maths on Edexcel... But I thought this paper was quite difficult, I'd be happy with a B, so I can make it up in FP2 and S2
Original post by clayrocks
I got those aswell, you think we'll get an ecf mark for the kinetic energy bit?

I'd hope so
Anybody remember the angle that B made with the vertical? Think I got 35 degrees.

I got that
Reply 90

35 degrees definitely rings a bell but I can't remember the context of the question.
Original post by Riemann
35 degrees definitely rings a bell but I can't remember the context of the question.

I got that

Good stuff, Can you remember what you got for the internal forces on the framework?
Original post by Riemann

I think it was the tipping of the cube question.

Which question? I remember getting an angle like 34.99... then rounding it to 35 degrees.
Reply 94
Well that was horrendous. Didn't even start question 4.
Reply 95
I think it was the tipping of the cube question.

Yes, and for the coeff. of restitution after that I think I got 0.373 or 0.313 something like that.
Original post by Riemann
Yes, and for the coeff. of restitution after that I think I got 0.373 or 0.313 something like that.

I remember something like that...
Good stuff, Can you remember what you got for the internal forces on the framework?

I remember AC the other two are what I think they may have been could be the other way around

AC=10 (thrust)
AB=40sqrt (3)? Thrust
BC=20sqrt (3)?? Tension
(edited 9 years ago)
Aagh, I did:
6 = 2sin(a) + 3sin(b)
Instead of:
5x6 = 2sin(a) + 3sin(b)
And consequently got a fifth of the answer (u=1.8, v=1.6)
How many marks will I lose?
Silly mistake
Reply 99

If I remember correctly T(AB) was 20root3, T(AC) was -40 but I cant remember T(BC).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending