The Student Room Group

The 'What do you think of my website' thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sayonara
Please criticise the logo/banner of this website as much as possible. Imagine this is a very professional high-end company and you saw this website.
Be strict. Although, if it's actually good, please say so. This banner/logo will need to be flawless. The website is obviously not finished.

http://epicgamearts.com/

As you asked... I'm no designer, but it looks both old-fashioned and amateurish. Glossy, rendered, aliased text is about 25 years out of date. If you want "professional" these days, you need flat, bold and clean. Compare it to IGN's new logo. They've stripped all gradients and gloss and flattened it to two colours; red and white: http://uk.ign.com/

Beyond the logo, what's with the birds flapping around all over the place? That just adds unnecessary noise and, again, looks like an early 90s gimmick. Absolutely no reason for that to be there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2141
Original post by ct2k7
Currently processing bite of my website over to Jekyll..

https://shamil.xxx

Isn't the ".xxx" gTDL exclusively for 'adult' material? :wink:
Please criticise the logo/banner of this website as much as possible. Imagine this is a very professional high-end company and you saw this website.
Be strict. Although, if it's actually good, please say so. This banner/logo will need to be flawless. The website is obviously not finished.

http://epicgamearts.com/

Original post by Planto
As you asked... I'm no designer, but it looks both old-fashioned and amateurish. Glossy, rendered, aliased text is about 25 years out of date. If you want "professional" these days, you need flat, bold and clean. Compare it to IGN's new logo. They've stripped all gradients and gloss and flattened it to two colours; red and white: http://uk.ign.com/

Beyond the logo, what's with the birds flapping around all over the place? That just adds unnecessary noise and, again, looks like an early 90s gimmick. Absolutely no reason for that to be there.

I'm half in agreement with Planto's feedback - the birds are unnecessary and the aliased text is proving tiresome...

In my own opinion:
- I don't like the way 'A R T S' is spread out below 'Epic Game', it looks weak could be easily missed as 'Epic Game' dominates it totally.
- The slogan sounds poor to me. 'It's not just a game. It's art. It's a way of life' - this could be shortened down! 'It's not just a game, it's art.'/'It's not just a game, it's a way of life.' - who knows, it's your website, but for me it doesn't sound 'catchy' at all. It doesn't grab my attention. I do like the sentiment behind the message though.

However, I don't think it's a bad effort. The font is what let's the logo down for me. Along with the birds. I don't think the ING logo is what you should be aiming for as I feel the two organizations are headed down different paths here...
Original post by Planto

Original post by pmc:producer
I'm half in agreement with Planto's feedback - the birds are unnecessary and the aliased text is proving tiresome...

In my own opinion:
- I don't like the way 'A R T S' is spread out below 'Epic Game', it looks weak could be easily missed as 'Epic Game' dominates it totally.
- The slogan sounds poor to me. 'It's not just a game. It's art. It's a way of life' - this could be shortened down! 'It's not just a game, it's art.'/'It's not just a game, it's a way of life.' - who knows, it's your website, but for me it doesn't sound 'catchy' at all. It doesn't grab my attention. I do like the sentiment behind the message though.

However, I don't think it's a bad effort. The font is what let's the logo down for me. Along with the birds. I don't think the ING logo is what you should be aiming for as I feel the two organizations are headed down different paths here...

Thanks, I really appreciate your honesty and detailed criticism. It has helped me a lot. I will remove the slogan or shorten it.

How is this? I have an inverted colour version of this, or should the image just compromise of the "king" chess piece?
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks, I really appreciate your honesty and detailed criticism. It has helped me a lot. I will remove the slogan or shorten it.

How is this? I have an inverted colour version of this, or should the image just compromise of the "king" chess piece?

For me, pawns don't scream 'epic'... And chess doesn't tie in with 'epic games' or 'art' - unless you're going down the more sophisticated artsy route... Which I don't think you are, as your initial logo suggested otherwise.

In short, this logo doesn't really have anything 'epic' about it, the other one - despite its faults - shouted it in your face if you get where I'm going.
It seems 'flat' and 'epic' are mutually exclusive.
Anybody doing a web design course or similar can you review my new project. http://www.unicrush.com
Rate the template and style of www.pokemoncreed.net. Constructive criticisms and good suggestions/ideas are appreciated.
Rate the template and style of www.pokemoncreed.net. Constructive criticisms and good suggestions/ideas are appreciated.

First constructive criticism: remove the malware.

Access has been blocked as the threat Mal/HTMLGen-A has been found on this website.
Original post by Planto
First constructive criticism: remove the malware.

What anti-virus have you got? What part of it does it think is malware so I can fix it? I can assure you that this is a mistake with the anti-virus. That might be why I have obtained less visitors than usual on the website. Damn! (PM me if you do not want it to be public). It is a false positive.
(edited 9 years ago)
What anti-virus have you got? What part of it does it think is malware so I can fix it? I can assure you that this is a mistake with the anti-virus. That might be why I have obtained less visitors than usual on the website. Damn! (PM me if you do not want it to be public). It is a false positive.

Sophos AV. You're probably doing some funky script injection or something.

Edit: Actually, from a similar issue posted on the Sophos forum:

The site is hosted on a nameserver which has been seen hosting malware.

I would contact Sophos support and/or your hosting provider.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Planto
Sophos AV. You're probably doing some funky script injection or something.

Edit: Actually, from a similar issue posted on the Sophos forum:

The site is hosted on a nameserver which has been seen hosting malware.

I would contact Sophos support and/or your hosting provider.

I'm hiding my server's IP behind Cloudflare, which is quite reputable. Must be some code, I'll have to contact Sophos I guess. Thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 2152
I'm hiding my server's IP behind Cloudflare, which is quite reputable. Must be some code, I'll have to contact Sophos I guess. Thanks for your help! :smile:

it's working fine for me, looks good but maybe a little dark around the edges/sides
Just finished www.speedsums.com once and for all! Let me know what you think
First post on this site, my site is Jaywebdesign.co.uk - what do you guys think?
Original post by sam___
Isn't the ".xxx" gTDL exclusively for 'adult' material? :wink:

I don't believe there are restrictions... (I need to check though)
Www.techberry.org

Is one my latest projects. Built the forum from scratch with php and am currently sorting out badge and permission systems. I am aware its nowhere near finished and still needs a lot of work :tongue:
Original post by Michael1996
First post on this site, my site is Jaywebdesign.co.uk - what do you guys think?

Static, wordpress-based website... You try and market it as "web design" but there's not much of what I would call good design on your site. It looks like something done from the 1990's.

If you want to push for web design then you need to make sure your own website is intuitive, sleek, attractive and users have a great UX (User experience).

I know a mate who runs his own web design company, you should have a look at his site waterfrontdesign.co.uk - also my own personal site jonathonfitch.com

Both those websites are coded 100% by hand, no crappy CMS like wordpress involved. HTML, CSS and JavaScript with a bit of back-end PHP.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Toppy
First time using fullpage and I haven't a clue how javascript works so it was a bit of guesswork!

http://beautystar.co.uk/

Any input would be useful. I'm particularly concerned as the phone/tablet control is a bit weird. The bottom slide seems to not want to move up again and on some it doesn't seem to fit on the page.

As said before by another user, I think manipulating the scroll is a bad idea. Also the sliders should have an ease-in-out animation to make the motion seem more natural, right now the horizontal scrolling slide is a bit sudden.
Hey guys, I've been working on a website for a little while now - my first one, in fact - alongside another PHP programmer, and in order to learn I've been writing it all entirely from scratch (bar the forums and, since introducing forums, user accounts). The site itself is for a game I've helping out with, but I've been treating it mostly as a learning experience.

https://www.seedofandromeda.com/

I was wondering what people thought, and in particular, what are the best ways to support smaller resolution devices without forsaking the design aesthetic of the site as it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending