The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry - C2 and C3 15th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yesyesyesno
So its a lot quicker than using CGP?

CGP would probably be quicker, but you may have to go over it a few times to fully understand it, so all in all, they'll probably both be around the same.
Reply 21
What do you think the 6 markers will be??
Original post by yesyesyesno
Which is better???? Taking notes from MY-GCSESCIENCE videos or taking notes from CGP (for aqa C2)

I found that the videos are too long to revise from as i know some bits already but they are helpful with things you don't understand as they actually explain the topic
Reply 23
Original post by badaman
Anyone got the C2 or C3 January 2014 exam papers?

Also, any predictions for this exam?

Someone anyone answer! Would be incredibly helpful!
Reply 24
Original post by Tols_
Someone anyone answer! Would be incredibly helpful!

There wasn't a January paper, was there? I thought they got rid of all the January exams
Reply 25
Original post by kjl234
There wasn't a January paper, was there? I thought they got rid of all the January exams

Apparently not because, biology had an unseen B2 paper which was posted a day/two days before the exam.
Reply 26
Original post by Tols_
Apparently not because, biology had an unseen B2 paper which was posted a day/two days before the exam.

Anything like that for chemistry?
Reply 27
I think the 6 marker (or one of the six markers as them seem to be putting two on every science exam now!) for C3 will be on hydrogen fuel cells. It hasn't come up yet and it's one of those topics they're likely to give you data on and evaluate.
Can someone explain reacting by mass ? Gets me confused!
Reply 29
Original post by violetvictorious
Anyone have the 2014 January C2 exam please?

I did this in class the other week, the six marker was on paper chromatography.
Original post by gcser
I think the 6 marker (or one of the six markers as them seem to be putting two on every science exam now!) for C3 will be on hydrogen fuel cells. It hasn't come up yet and it's one of those topics they're likely to give you data on and evaluate.

Good suggestion makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you mean? Like 50g of sodium makes 100 grams of sodium dioxide etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My predictions:

C2: Percentage yield,empirical formula, percentage mass, reacting mass calculations, making soluble/insoluble salts, electrolysis/electrolysis of brine/electrolysis of aluminium oxide and why cryolite is used. Certain questions based on particle collision theory, acids and bases, giant covalent substances eg diamond graphite , gas and paper chromatography etc

C3: Tests for positive/negative ions, titration calculations/method/how science works element, almost definitely think that something regarding calorimetry calculations will come up (energy transferred= specific heat capacity of water X mass of water X temperature change), mendeleev, hardness of water

I could be wrong, but based on past papers and what they seem to like talking about.... however they could do something random like the magnesium ion question in Biology b2 so what do i know....
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
Good luck everyone. I know cryolite lowers the melting point of the aluminium (I think).. but how does it do it? Do we need to know that?
Original post by ryanroks1
Good luck everyone. I know cryolite lowers the melting point of the aluminium (I think).. but how does it do it? Do we need to know that?

no, just say that a less common ore of aluminium (cryolite) is used to lower the temperature and the cost. It has a lower melting point (about 900 degrees) and is made molten with the aluminium oxide dissolved in it.
no I don't think hard water it going to be in the exam its going to be replaced with haber process. I think chem might be easy due to bio being easy.but it may also be hard because the had to increase grade bounderies last year
Reply 36
Why do we not break the covalent bonds when melting a covalent substance down, and instead we break the weak intermolecular forces of attraction? Yet with ionic compounds we talk about breaking the bonds when melting them. I'm so confused!
Original post by JackRPS
I did this in class the other week, the six marker was on paper chromatography.

Ooh thanks
Original post by John10000
My predictions:

C2: Percentage yield,empirical formula, percentage mass, reacting mass calculations, making soluble/insoluble salts, electrolysis/electrolysis of brine/electrolysis of aluminium oxide and why cryolite is used. Certain questions based on particle collision theory, acids and bases, giant covalent substances eg diamond graphite , gas and paper chromatography etc

C3: Tests for positive/negative ions, titration calculations/method/how science works element, almost definitely think that something regarding calorimetry calculations will come up (energy transferred= specific heat capacity of water X mass of water X temperature change), mendeleev, hardness of water

I could be wrong, but based on past papers and what they seem to like talking about.... however they could do something random like the magnesium ion question in Biology b2 so what do i know....

thats almost every topic
Original post by Sayless
thats almost every topic

Yep lol, but the ones which seem to go on and on are generally the big mark questions eg making a soluble salt from reacting an insoluble base and an acid and then the method of crystallisation. the others are generally 1-3 mark questions.

Quick Reply

Latest