WJEC Physics PH1 20th May 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Indabob
What raw mark (out of 80) do you think will get full UMS???? :smile:

Probably 77 or 78 I'd say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Wow ok, in previous years, i remember being able to drop about seven raw marks and still get 120UMS
Reply 82
jan 2014 was 5 raw marks
Reply 83
Original post by Indabob
Wow ok, in previous years, i remember being able to drop about seven raw marks and still get 120UMS

Yeah I know but this one seemed easier, so you'd be allowed to drop one or two marks less
yeah but june 2013 it was 0 marks, if you lost one mark -> 118 UMS.
And this was similar in question difficulty

However, if what the earlier poster said about the double spring question is true
[that the EPE was halved, as he is the only one ive heard with that answer and his reasoning seems just
so probably 90% of participants would have got that wrong]......

I predict student could lose 1-2 marks and still get 120 UMS . The paper re-used a lot of questions from previous years and there were no v. difficult questions. so I would assume very high UMS grade boundaries.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 85
Yep I agree, the guy with the ½ EPE is right, so 77/78 should be 120 UMS
I dont understand how the mean mark every year is around 39-42; that seems very low.
Reply 87
Original post by Wiggledinho
I dont understand how the mean mark every year is around 39-42; that seems very low.

Dumb people must take physics xD
I was so close to getting the spring one right; I said Force is proportional to Extension so the extension would half then i used EPE=0.5FX but for some reason i said the EPE would only decrease by a factor of 2 and not 4 meaning total energy would stay the same as there are 2 springs, even though both force and extension decrease by 2 which is really annoying. Do you think I'd get 1/3?
Reply 89
Yeah probably cos you got the first bit right about the extension. Got the hard bit wrong though, so probably wont get other 2 marks.
Original post by Shre142
Yeah probably cos you got the first bit right about the extension. Got the hard bit wrong though, so probably wont get other 2 marks.

yeah just annoying though because it was a silly mistake rather than not knowing the answer
you may have got 2 for the correct application of the equation. Depends on what the MS looks like. I reckon I lost 2 marks :/ hoping for 119 UMS tho
Original post by maxisuper
you may have got 2 for the correct application of the equation. Depends on what the MS looks like. I reckon I lost 2 marks :/ hoping for 119 UMS tho

haha i hope so - I think it was a slightly harder paper than last year (only because last year's was ridiculously easy) so hopefully you can drop 2-3 marks and still get full UMS. I already know I dropped 5 marks through silly mistakes though, which is really annoying.
Also, did anyone find PH3 section B harder/vaguer than usual? All the past ones were so easy but I found this section B really vague and completely messed it up as a result -___- (I measured the lengths of the wires separately so my 2 lines didnt intersect).
Original post by Shre142
Dumb people must take physics xD

Its that and the fact the step up from GCSE to AS is massive in Physics.
I retook PH1 because of that, last year ended up with 84ums. This year confidently say it should be 105+
I thought it was relatively easy.
Mucked up on the last Hooke's question.
I had E=0.5Fx in my head when I wrote my answer and only thought about the fact the extension halved (so I wrote down that half of the extension of the double spring system gives the full amount of energy that was in the single spring system).
Tbh, the Hooke's law question is the only one think I'm not particularly confident on. The rest of the paper was great as long as I didn't make any silly mistakes. I only need to make up like 11 UMS anyway.
Original post by h0mecoming
I thought it was relatively easy.
Mucked up on the last Hooke's question.
I had E=0.5Fx in my head when I wrote my answer and only thought about the fact the extension halved (so I wrote down that half of the extension of the double spring system gives the full amount of energy that was in the single spring system).
Tbh, the Hooke's law question is the only one think I'm not particularly confident on. The rest of the paper was great as long as I didn't make any silly mistakes. I only need to make up like 11 UMS anyway.

thats exactly what I put for that question - so annoying - it was just a stupid mistake. Do you reckon we'll get 1/3?
Original post by Wiggledinho
thats exactly what I put for that question - so annoying - it was just a stupid mistake. Do you reckon we'll get 1/3?

I doubt it since we've completely missed the point (used the totally wrong equation. Might get some ecf marks for the correct explanations we gave but I'm not holding my breath.
Original post by h0mecoming
I doubt it since we've completely missed the point (used the totally wrong equation. Might get some ecf marks for the correct explanations we gave but I'm not holding my breath.

need every mark I can get after screwing up PH3 due to being ill on the day
Hey,
I'm currently doing this paper as practise and was wondering is there any way to get an unofficial mark scheme from anywhere ?
Thankyou (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending