The Student Room Group

Subject Options + Overall

I'll keep it brief, I didn't do as well as GCSE as I would've wanted. I was pretty lazy as a student but I got straight 5's, a few 6's. I did iMedia, Spanish, Geography, English Lang + Lit, Combined Science and Maths. A rookie mistake was choosing iMedia instead of Triple Science - I don't want to go into film or anything. Instead of Design Engineering, I chose Criminology - but that wasn't an option for A-Level nor BTEC. I know my options are scattered and likely not too promising but could I get into Aerospace Engineering with any of these? I could probably do a BEng at UWE depending on how hard I work but I think there's no point in me switching any of my subjects now - I mainly chose straight BTECS solely because I didn't wanna put as much effort into sixth form as A-Level students will be doing, but found this recently changed and I would have much rather done Maths or Physics and Double Engineering (that's an option where I am).

I should've pushed myself at GCSE and I'm hoping to do this in sixth form, but having to do AS, Engineering and Criminology is a pretty weird combination. I could have also got some sort of certificate in First Aid and Sign Language if I went to another school - I know as much sign as someone with a BSL Level 3 because my brother is deaf.

A few questions:

I know I'm trying to make myself look clever and I've just started my BTECS but would it be a good idea if I do MOOCs and tons of work experience if I can find any in the subject fields I'm doing - since BTEC workload is significantly lesser compared to those of A-Level students?

If anyone is doing or has done these subjects, where are you now? How much is the workload and how much work do you put in? I'm being advised to do "1 hour in 1 hour out" but I'm mainly just recapping subjects for 2 hours per day.

What degrees could I go on and do with my BTECs?

Some of the ones I do are equivalent to an A-Level, but they're just BTECs, so is there any difference really?

Are there any warnings I need? I'm one term into sixth form.
Original post by ts-d1
I'll keep it brief, I didn't do as well as GCSE as I would've wanted. I was pretty lazy as a student but I got straight 5's, a few 6's. I did iMedia, Spanish, Geography, English Lang + Lit, Combined Science and Maths. A rookie mistake was choosing iMedia instead of Triple Science - I don't want to go into film or anything. Instead of Design Engineering, I chose Criminology - but that wasn't an option for A-Level nor BTEC. I know my options are scattered and likely not too promising but could I get into Aerospace Engineering with any of these? I could probably do a BEng at UWE depending on how hard I work but I think there's no point in me switching any of my subjects now - I mainly chose straight BTECS solely because I didn't wanna put as much effort into sixth form as A-Level students will be doing, but found this recently changed and I would have much rather done Maths or Physics and Double Engineering (that's an option where I am).

I should've pushed myself at GCSE and I'm hoping to do this in sixth form, but having to do AS, Engineering and Criminology is a pretty weird combination. I could have also got some sort of certificate in First Aid and Sign Language if I went to another school - I know as much sign as someone with a BSL Level 3 because my brother is deaf.

A few questions:

I know I'm trying to make myself look clever and I've just started my BTECS but would it be a good idea if I do MOOCs and tons of work experience if I can find any in the subject fields I'm doing - since BTEC workload is significantly lesser compared to those of A-Level students?

If anyone is doing or has done these subjects, where are you now? How much is the workload and how much work do you put in? I'm being advised to do "1 hour in 1 hour out" but I'm mainly just recapping subjects for 2 hours per day.

What degrees could I go on and do with my BTECs?

Some of the ones I do are equivalent to an A-Level, but they're just BTECs, so is there any difference really?

Are there any warnings I need? I'm one term into sixth form.

Every university will list their entry requirements for each course on their web site. You have mentioned BEng Aerospace Engineering at UWE Bristol. We can see on this page that for those applying with BTECs, "You must be studying one of the following: Aeronautical Engineering; Construction and the Built Environment; Electrical/Electronic Engineering; Engineering; Land-based Technology; Manufacturing Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; or Operations and Maintenance Engineering." (It's also with noting that your Criminology course is not a BTEC, it's WJEC Applied Diploma.)

As a result, you don't appear to meet the entry requirements for that course. However, UWE also offer BEng Aerospace Engineering (with Foundation Year) - details here - for which there are "No specific subjects required."

I would suggest that you visit the web sites of any universities in which you are interested, and check their entry requirements.

The MOOCs and certificates in First Aid and Sign Language are going to be of little interest to universities in terms of entry requirements. However, they might be interesting to mention in a personal statement.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Every university will list their entry requirements for each course on their web site. You have mentioned BEng Aerospace Engineering at UWE Bristol. We can see on this page that for those applying with BTECs, "You must be studying one of the following: Aeronautical Engineering; Construction and the Built Environment; Electrical/Electronic Engineering; Engineering; Land-based Technology; Manufacturing Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; or Operations and Maintenance Engineering." (It's also with noting that your Criminology course is not a BTEC, it's WJEC Applied Diploma.)

As a result, you don't appear to meet the entry requirements for that course. However, UWE also offer BEng Aerospace Engineering (with Foundation Year) - details here - for which there are "No specific subjects required."

I would suggest that you visit the web sites of any universities in which you are interested, and check their entry requirements.

The MOOCs and certificates in First Aid and Sign Language are going to be of little interest to universities in terms of entry requirements. However, they might be interesting to mention in a personal statement.

Thank you, I was told the Criminology course was a BTEC by one of my teachers in the subject.

I will certainly take note of your advice and visit the websites of the universities I'm interested in to thoroughly check their entry requirements, though the BEng is probably the only one I could go for. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

What would enhance an entry requirement for this course if I was to follow through? If I do MOOCs it would not necessarily enhance my chances of ensuring I get into the course but instead highlight commitment and a learning fondness for it.

I could try and get a varied amount of work experience in aerospace if possible as I live not far from GKN, Airbus, Rolls Royce but this would then give me the struggle of ensuring my application stands out from others who are likely planning the same that do maths and physics for their A-Levels.

Once again, thank you for your valuable advice.
Original post by ts-d1
Thank you, I was told the Criminology course was a BTEC by one of my teachers in the subject.

I will certainly take note of your advice and visit the websites of the universities I'm interested in to thoroughly check their entry requirements, though the BEng is probably the only one I could go for. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

What would enhance an entry requirement for this course if I was to follow through? If I do MOOCs it would not necessarily enhance my chances of ensuring I get into the course but instead highlight commitment and a learning fondness for it.

I could try and get a varied amount of work experience in aerospace if possible as I live not far from GKN, Airbus, Rolls Royce but this would then give me the struggle of ensuring my application stands out from others who are likely planning the same that do maths and physics for their A-Levels.

Once again, thank you for your valuable advice.

The BTEC brand is owned by Pearson; they are the only body which can award BTECs. Take a look at the BTEC Nationals section of the Pearson web site, here, and tell me if you can see Criminology mentioned somewhere. (It's easier if you click the Expand All link.)

Colleges often misrepresent Criminology as a BTEC. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's because everyone has heard of BTECs, but few have heard of WJEC Applied Diplomas. So they (incorrectly) using the term BTEC to mean vocational qualification in general. Universities are not so casual with their terminology.

As with all generalisations, this doesn't apply to all universities, but grades are what will make your applicant stand out. If you can get grade M up to a grade D, or a grade D up to a grade D*, then that will have more impact on the likelihood of an offer than a few MOOCs or some work experience. What many universities say on open days is they often only look at other aspects of your application (like the personal statement or reference) if your grades match those of other candidates and they're trying to decide between you. If you can exceed the grades of other candidates, then they might not even read your personal statement.

You're doing BTEC Extended Certificates in Applied Science and Engineering, and a WJEC Applied Diploma in Criminology. This doesn't make you the ideal candidate for Aerospace Engineering, as they'll often ideally want A levels in Maths / Physics or a BTEC Extended Diploma (worth three A levels) in an Engineering discipline.

I think your best bet is to add a Foundation Year to the start of your degree. For example:

Aerospace Engineering BEng (Hons) with integrated foundation year at University of Brighton: "BTEC MMM/MMP" (no subjects specified) - details
BEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering (with Foundation Year) at University of the West of England (UWE Bristol): "Tariff points: 80 | EDEXCEL (BTEC) Diploma: No specific subjects required." - details
BEng (Honours) Aerospace Engineering with Foundation Year at Sheffield Hallam University: "UCAS points 80 | MMP in BTEC Extended Diploma | A combination of qualifications" - details

You're a little vague on what grades you got for the the important GCSE (English, Maths, Science) - so do check that you meet any GCSE requirements too.

(An alternative would be to drop-out of sixth form and re-join year 12 next September doing the subjects / qualifications you now realise you should have chosen. However, I suspect that this option will have less appeal. Actually, you say, "I think there's no point in me switching any of my subjects now". Is that an option? If it is, I wouldn't dismiss it so casually.)
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
The BTEC brand is owned by Pearson; they are the only body which can award BTECs. Take a look at the BTEC Nationals section of the Pearson web site, here, and tell me if you can see Criminology mentioned somewhere. (It's easier if you click the Expand All link.)

Colleges often misrepresent Criminology as a BTEC. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's because everyone has heard of BTECs, but few have heard of WJEC Applied Diplomas. So they (incorrectly) using the term BTEC to mean vocational qualification in general. Universities are not so casual with their terminology.

As with all generalisations, this doesn't apply to all universities, but grades are what will make your applicant stand out. If you can get grade M up to a grade D, or a grade D up to a grade D*, then that will have more impact on the likelihood of an offer than a few MOOCs or some work experience. What many universities say on open days is they often only look at other aspects of your application (like the personal statement or reference) if your grades match those of other candidates and they're trying to decide between you. If you can exceed the grades of other candidates, then they might not even read your personal statement.

You're doing BTEC Extended Certificates in Applied Science and Engineering, and a WJEC Applied Diploma in Criminology. This doesn't make you the ideal candidate for Aerospace Engineering, as they'll often ideally want A levels in Maths / Physics or a BTEC Extended Diploma (worth three A levels) in an Engineering discipline.

I think your best bet is to add a Foundation Year to the start of your degree. For example:

Aerospace Engineering BEng (Hons) with integrated foundation year at University of Brighton: "BTEC MMM/MMP" (no subjects specified) - details
BEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering (with Foundation Year) at University of the West of England (UWE Bristol): "Tariff points: 80 | EDEXCEL (BTEC) Diploma: No specific subjects required." - details
BEng (Honours) Aerospace Engineering with Foundation Year at Sheffield Hallam University: "UCAS points 80 | MMP in BTEC Extended Diploma | A combination of qualifications" - details

You're a little vague on what grades you got for the the important GCSE (English, Maths, Science) - so do check that you meet any GCSE requirements too.

(An alternative would be to drop-out of sixth form and re-join year 12 next September doing the subjects / qualifications you now realise you should have chosen. However, I suspect that this option will have less appeal. Actually, you say, "I think there's no point in me switching any of my subjects now". Is that an option? If it is, I wouldn't dismiss it so casually.)

Thank you for the detailed information and suggestions, it's now clear to me that the terminology used for Criminology qualifications can vary, and I appreciate your insight into the differences between BTEC and WJEC Applied Diplomas.

The list you've provided me with can give me a helpful starting point, thank you for that. :smile:

My GCSE grades for Maths was a 5, English a 6 in Lit and 5 in Language. I forgot to mention I also did RE and got a 6 in that, but took my GCSEs for this in Year 10. In the sciences I got a 5-5 but the entry requirements to do any of them required me to get a 6-6. To do A-Level maths I needed to get a 7.

This means I cannot do physics nor maths, but could switch Criminology to DT, going from 2 BTECs and a WJEC to 2 BTECs and an A-Level, which might be more desirable.

I'll definitely be sure to try super hard in sixth form to hopefully ensure distinctions all around, maybe even D*s if I'm lucky! I may still try and do a couple MOOCs in case this doesn't work out, if it does I will still have good grades (hopefully) and a neat starting point.

My school does offer the BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering but I'm not sure if it's too late to switch out my choices for this. There is also a double engineering course which name I could sadly not provide you with, it might be worth doing the double engineering and A-Level in DT to give some sort of variety - though the Extended Diploma is ideal.

I could ask my head of year if it's too late to switch anything but my mocks are in January or November (my teachers are saying different things compared to the other) so this might cause a mess up.

Again, I can't stress it, but thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending