The Student Room Group

Does anyone else see this as a flagrant example of unrecognised female privilege?

Humans of New York
"My dad was in prison for eight years of my life. When he got out, he spent a little time with us, but then he got a new girlfriend and started spending all his time and money on her. My mother doesn't have much money, so I recently asked him if he could pay for a class trip to Spain. He promised he would, so my grandmother went ahead and put it on her credit card. But right before he was going to give me the money, we got in an argument. He started saying bad things about my mother, which I wasn't going to allow. Afterwards, he texted me that he was going to take the money for my trip, and spend it on himself. He told me he was going to take photos of all the things he bought and post them on Instagram. So I took a screenshot of the text message, and posted it on Instagram, with the hashtag: #deadbeatdad. He reported me to Instagram for bullying, so they deleted the post. Then I put it right back up, hashtag #onlypussiesreportpeople."

I noticed this quote-which-probably-never-happened from "Humans of New York", a popular Facebook page which shares thought-provoking stories intended as a window into the human condition. The comments were full of sympathy and condemnation of "deadbeat dads", I noticed one woman offering to donate money so this girl could go on her school trip and suggesting she set up a Kickstarter, as if she were a cause celebre in the vein of Stephen Sutton, the cancer patient who raised £3,200,000 online.

Consider the following:
- For an American, a trip to Spain is a significant amount of money.
- The family probably receives alimony, a backward social relief "system" involving seizure of private wealth regardless of ability to pay (which has endured due to America's refusal to institute a proper statist social security system).
- The girl is a late teenager, due to the distance involved in the trip. Therefore there is no insurmountable barrier to her or her mother seeking work (I say this as a vigorous detractor of the doctrine of work for work's sake).

It is churlish of the father to break his promise, and downright childish that he should boast about spending the money on himself. (Public shaming, airing dirty laundry, and disregarding online moderation are equally childish, but I am ready to excuse the teenager on grounds of age.)

The above bullet-points constitute for me an example of female entitlement which I am frustrated to see none of the commenters picking up on. Teenagers in America are much more "kept" than we are over here, true, but I never had my (resolutely married) parents pay for any holiday past the age of 16. I would certainly not have been impudent enough to demand that they pay for me. The girl, and by association her mother, appear to feel entitled that they can demand expensive holidays from the father, in addition to the alimony payment they are doubtless receiving, and their unimpaired capacity to work. Furthermore, the girl's story glosses over an important development: the argument. Even if he started it, it is understandable that he should be resentful about funding her fun with the sweat of his brow over and above the alimony payment that the law decided they needed.

I know the story is probably made-up, and nobody comes out looking like a hero, but my concern is that the tens of thousands of commenters appear blind to the element of female entitlement.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by scrotgrot
I noticed this quote-which-probably-never-happened from "Humans of New York", a popular Facebook page which shares thought-provoking stories intended as a window into the human condition. The comments were full of sympathy and condemnation of "deadbeat dads", I noticed one woman offering to donate money so this girl could go on her school trip and suggesting she set up a Kickstarter, as if she were a cause celebre in the vein of Stephen Sutton, the cancer patient who raised £3,200,000 online.

Consider the following:
- For an American, a trip to Spain is a significant amount of money.
- The family probably receives alimony, a backward social relief "system" involving seizure of private wealth regardless of ability to pay (which has endured due to America's refusal to institute a proper statist social security system).
- The girl is a late teenager, due to the distance involved in the trip. Therefore there is no insurmountable barrier to her or her mother seeking work (I say this as a vigorous detractor of the doctrine of work for work's sake).

It is churlish of the father to break his promise, and downright childish that he should boast about spending the money on himself. (Public shaming, airing dirty laundry, and disregarding online moderation are equally childish, but I am ready to excuse the teenager on grounds of age.)

The above bullet-points constitute for me an example of female entitlement which I am frustrated to see none of the commenters picking up on. Teenagers in America are much more "kept" than we are over here, true, but I never had my (resolutely married) parents pay for any holiday past the age of 16. I would certainly not have been impudent enough to demand that they pay for me. The girl, and by association her mother, appear to feel entitled that they can demand expensive holidays from the father, in addition to the alimony payment they are doubtless receiving, and their unimpaired capacity to work. Furthermore, the girl's story glosses over an important development: the argument. Even if he started it, it is understandable that he should be resentful about funding her fun with the sweat of his brow over and above the alimony payment that the law decided they needed.

I know the story is probably made-up, but my concern is that the tens of thousands of commenters appear blind to the element of female entitlement.

While I can see the gender angle to this story, I think it says more about the sense of entitlement the children in the US have than 'female privilege' per se.
Reply 2
Original post by ClickItBack
While I can see the gender angle to this story, I think it says more about the sense of entitlement the children in the US have than 'female privilege' per se.

That's a fair comment. Family values mean their kids remain dependent all the way through college. The idea of the self-reliant family underlies a lot of things in America, like husband/housewife gender roles and tedious debates like "should abortion be legal?" and "should the state support people?"
A male in the same situtation probably would get some sympathy, however I expect it would be no where near as much, people would just tell him to get a job. Also what would be against a man in this situation is they, for some reason, are seen as less innocent and fragile; as if with both a male and female in the same situation the male could handle not getting it but the female couldn't. It's not necessarily the girl feeling self entitled, rather society believing them to somehow be entitled.
I'm not getting much of an entitlement vibe from this. Like you say a trip to Spain from the US ain't cheap, so to promise to pay for the trip, only to withdraw the offer after somebody else had already paid for it, is a Dick Move. They're not entitled to his money but they are entitled to be angry since it's still a breach of trust and the whole thing comes off as very spiteful.
Poor dude does eight years in jail and his ex is still giving him grief.
Original post by Captain Haddock
I'm not getting much of an entitlement vibe from this. Like you say a trip to Spain from the US ain't cheap, so to promise to pay for the trip, only to withdraw the offer after somebody else had already paid for it, is a Dick Move. They're not entitled to his money but they are entitled to be angry since it's still a breach of trust and the whole thing comes off as very spiteful.

But, assuming it's a true story, which of them was more of a dick? Him for withdrawing his money because he didn't want to give it them anymore, or her for the way she reacted to it?

On a slightly unrelated note, I would like to revise my previous statement, having now read the whole quote in OP, to say that, judging by her reaction to the original situation, her posting about it was probably to try to get the sympathy and money to go on the trip she wanted to, possibly due to some sense of entitlement.
I really don't get your point, I don't think it's even about entitlement. If this was a boy who lived with his dad writing about the mother I would read it in exactly the same way. The gender angle is a real struggles.

The father entered in to a verbal contract with her, I am assuming he didn't provide any caveats to this agreement at the time. She then got the grandmother to pay with the intention of the father paying her back - as per the contract. It is completely ****ty of him not to uphold the original verbal agreement when someone else fronted the money. If no one else had fronted the money then fine but the grandmother presumably has lost out on possibly thousands because of his childish behaviour.

Not exactly deadbeatdad but a complete arse none the less.

Original post by scrotgrot
That's a fair comment. Family values mean their kids remain dependent all the way through college. The idea of the self-reliant family underlies a lot of things in America, like husband/housewife gender roles and tedious debates like "should abortion be legal?" and "should the state support people?"
I don't understand why the daughter feels entitled that she can just ask her ex-con dad for a trip to Spain.
I don't thing gender really has anything to do with it. It's a selfish move from the Dad, despite the fact she's a girl. If he had a son and done the same thing, it wouldn't make it any better.
I don't really see how anyone can be on the dad's side (based on the information given - "probably's" notwithstanding), regardless of whether it was his son or daughter. You promise to pay for your kids trip, you pay for your kids trip, especially when someone else has already given them the money for it.

It's called being an adult and a good parent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending