The Student Room Group

Has anyone else noticed that the US media tends to uglify English women?

It has baffled me for a long time that people are completely oblivious to this behavior of the US Media, because I see them doing this literally all the time. Many Americans have a stereotype that they believe that British women, in particular English women, are all ugly. And the reason they believe this is because of the fact that the American media rarely if ever shows pretty English women and they always go out of their way to hire ugly looking ones for roles in the media. All branches of US media engage in this behaviour. Hollywood does it, the cable news media like CNN does it, and so on.

For example, I have noticed since the 90s that while Hollywood doesn't mind occasionally hiring goodlooking English *men* like Hugh Grant, Piers Brosman and so on, the same Hollywood NEVER hires beautiful English female actresses. At least since the 80s they never do. And even before then they rarely did. And it is because they are threatened egotisticsally by English female beauty. There is a sense among Americans that beautiful English females are the most attractive of all specimens of female beauty by virtue of their ethnicity and accent. Thus, the avoidance of showing English female beauty and the deliberate uglification of English females by the American media is a form of egotistical protection, so as to avoid a feeling of inferiority.

Look for example at the plain/ugly women Hollywood hired as its English actresses in the 90s for example. Only plain or ugly women like Kate Winslet, Tilda Swinton and so on. This is despite the fact that there are a lot of pretty and gorgeous English actresses in the UK that they could have easily hired for any of these roles, but they chose deliberately not to.

Take a look at a raw example of what I am talking about and the fact that all branches of the American media engage on this behavior. Look at this video I found in YouTube of a NWSL sports presentation of that year's women's soccer season:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t04g1Y38dXs

Pay attention to the English woman that was chosen to be the host. Look how ugly she is. Furthermore, notice how they not only chose goodlooking women to sit next to her as her American co-hosts, but notice how they had the best looking one (out of the chosen American ones) sitting RIGHT NEXT to the ugly woman they had cherrypicked to be the English host. This is the kind of petty and narcissistic thing that I notice the American media doing constantly. They perpetrate the same behavior against black women, by the way. But they do it even worse and more consistently towards white English women. Which of course shows that they are much more threatened by white English female beauty than they are against black female beauty.

Incidentally, note that it is not just the video media that engages in this behavior; the print media in America engages in the same behavior. For example, take a look at the UK version of.the cover of JK Rowling's book "The cuckoo's calling" and then take a look at thr American version. Notice how they changed it by getting rid of the beautiful image of the lovely young woman in the UK version and replaced it with the face of an ugly (or at best very plain) chick that they snapped and placed on the cover. These are just a tiny few examples of a consistent pattern of behaviour I have noticed constantly for many years by the US media with English women (or British women in general) which they don't do to any other European ethnicity (who they always promote in flattering ways). And this is what causes the perception and stereotype in the minds of so many Americans that beautiful English women don't or barely exist. The media industry keeps them from being seen within the US to protect American egos.
actually no, i notice they tend to fetisize english women, say for eg transformers movie, and emily blunt etc etc
Original post by Godwinkel
Look for example at the plain/ugly women Hollywood hired as its English actresses in the 90s for example. Only plain or ugly women like Kate Winslet, Tilda Swinton and so on.

Stopped here.

Quick Reply

Latest