The Student Room Group

I’m neurodivergent can i ever be normal?

I feel like at my core i just want to have friends (female, just turned 20) but every time I’m in new social situations, I end up overthinking everything i do and becoming too self aware to just let loose. I feel like (in 1st year uni) i haven’t found ‘my people’ and i always presume that people are looking at me like “she’s weird, avoid” and i really cannot tell if this is my ‘inner demons’ talking or if people are genuinely perceiving me badly, but I definitely have experience weird looks/people seeming off put by me/coming to me and then their energy changing as soon as they realise I’m actually quiet/weird. I don’t know to be honest. For example, I’ve joined dance (something i used to love but quit when i was 10) and i feel like I can’t even just let loose and enjoy because i feel like everyone else there is more ‘popular’ and has their cliques etc. If there’s people i want to come to, for example i think someone would be a really cool person to be friends with, girl or guy, i feel like i need some sort of approval or permission first, or they’ll just avoid me because i seem boring when in reality it just takes me a while to reach that comfortable stage. I did a gap yeas, and before that it was Covid+Sixth form so back then everyone was a bit more socially reserved so i felt ok to just be a hermit pretty much, and now i’m super insecure about it because I’ve lost way too much experience so i feel inferior to everyone else. Would you feel put off if someone “quiet” like this came to you? Do you have any tips for me to feel more normal/comfortable? I know that i really want to just be myself/let loose etc when i was younger i had genuine friends and didn’t expect my teenage years +early 20s to flop like this
Definitely join a society. You'll meet your people there.

Which Uni are you at? You might get some recommendations.
Original post by unsweetenedblue
I feel like at my core i just want to have friends (female, just turned 20) but every time I’m in new social situations, I end up overthinking everything i do and becoming too self aware to just let loose. I feel like (in 1st year uni) i haven’t found ‘my people’ and i always presume that people are looking at me like “she’s weird, avoid” and i really cannot tell if this is my ‘inner demons’ talking or if people are genuinely perceiving me badly, but I definitely have experience weird looks/people seeming off put by me/coming to me and then their energy changing as soon as they realise I’m actually quiet/weird. I don’t know to be honest. For example, I’ve joined dance (something i used to love but quit when i was 10) and i feel like I can’t even just let loose and enjoy because i feel like everyone else there is more ‘popular’ and has their cliques etc. If there’s people i want to come to, for example i think someone would be a really cool person to be friends with, girl or guy, i feel like i need some sort of approval or permission first, or they’ll just avoid me because i seem boring when in reality it just takes me a while to reach that comfortable stage. I did a gap yeas, and before that it was Covid+Sixth form so back then everyone was a bit more socially reserved so i felt ok to just be a hermit pretty much, and now i’m super insecure about it because I’ve lost way too much experience so i feel inferior to everyone else. Would you feel put off if someone “quiet” like this came to you? Do you have any tips for me to feel more normal/comfortable? I know that i really want to just be myself/let loose etc when i was younger i had genuine friends and didn’t expect my teenage years +early 20s to flop like this

I would try speaking to your student's union and see if there are any specific socials for others who are also neurodivergent, this could be a good place to connect, and if there aren't why not ask if you could start your own? But it will always take time to settle into anything for anyone, going to uni is a big step in anyone's life and other people will be feeling the same anxieties, just try to remember that and don't be too hard on yourself! Your student support and student's union are there to support you where they can so don't be afraid to reach out and ask the questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending