The Student Room Group

Unorthodox Core 2 question ?

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/c208ja_kf9x.pdf

For question 12 ii C and D (the two final questions).

What does find lim *arrow* 0 mean and what does state what this limit represents mean.

I have honestly never seen this type of question ever inn core 2, the mark scheme is underneath.
Haven't opened, but lim --> 0

Means you let a variable (probably x) tend to 0
Reply 2
You have to use differentiation from first principles
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Haven't opened, but lim --> 0

Means you let a variable (probably x) tend to 0

How do you let it tend to 0
Original post by emily288
You have to use differentiation from first principles

How do you use that ?
Original post by 96jaimin96
How do you let it tend to 0

basically let it =0
Reply 6
How do you use that ?

If you use a limit, you let something 'tend' to a value, because substituting in the actual value may give you something that is undefined.

E.g., if I asked you to evaluate limx01x\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{1}{x}

You would start with any number for xx, and then keep on substituting in smaller and smaller values of xx. (This is because we're letting xx tend to 0; if, for example, we let xx tend to infinity, we would substitute in larger and larger values of xx).

E.g., limx01x\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{1}{x} where x=1x = 1 gives you 11.

Then, using a smaller value of xx, we have limx01x\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{1}{x} where x=12x = \dfrac{1}{2} gives you 22.

To illustrate this now by using a very small value of xx, we have limx01x\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{1}{x} where x=150x = \dfrac{1}{50} gives you 5050, which implies that limx01x=.\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{1}{x} = \infty.

This is the general idea of limits. Within the context of the question, they want you to use the limit definition of a derivative, which pertains to letting a small increase in xx tend to 0, giving you the gradient (this is differentiation from first principles); you should read about this further on Wikipedia/YouTube.

Edit: why does the LaTeX version of 0 not display? :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zen-Ali
If you use a limit, you let something 'tend' to a value, because substituting in the actual value may give you something that is undefined.

E.g., if I asked you to evaluate limx01x\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{1}{x}

You would start with any number for xx, and then keep on substituting in smaller and smaller values of xx. (This is because we're letting xx tend to 0; if, for example, we let xx tend to infinity, we would substitute in larger and larger values of xx).

E.g., limx01x\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{1}{x} where x=1x = 1 gives you 11.

Then, using a smaller value of xx, we have limx01x\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{1}{x} where x=12x = \dfrac{1}{2} gives you 22.

To illustrate this now by using a very small value of xx, we have limx01x\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{1}{x} where x=150x = \dfrac{1}{50} gives you 5050, which implies that limx01x=.\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{1}{x} = \infty.

This is the general idea of limits. Within the context of the question, they want you to use the limit definition of a derivative, which pertains to letting a small increase in xx tend to 0, giving you the gradient (this is differentiation from first principles); you should read about this further on Wikipedia/YouTube.

Just watched a video from youtube, so basically you just substitute h for 0 and you get left with 4x^3. Thanks you taking the time to give a long explanation.
Reply 8
Just watched a video from youtube, so basically you just substitute h for 0 and you get left with 4x^3. Thanks you taking the time to give a long explanation.

[Indent]I hope I didn't make any mistakes. :ninja:

No worries, man.[/Indent]
Reply 9
http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/c208ja_kf9x.pdf

For question 12 ii C and D (the two final questions).

What does find lim *arrow* 0 mean and what does state what this limit represents mean.

I have honestly never seen this type of question ever inn core 2, the mark scheme is underneath.

Are you actually being taught the MEI syllabus by your teacher?

The method displayed in this question is basically showing you an example of "differentiation from first principles" which is something that all teachers should explain but unfortunately not all do, although not all the exam boards seem to test this!
Original post by Zen-Ali
[Indent]I hope I didn't make any mistakes. :ninja:

No worries, man.[/Indent]

Spoiler

Reply 11
Original post by ThatPerson

Spoiler

Thanks for reminding! I decided to omit that and some other stuff in case it got confusing.

@OP, if you're interested about what the person above me posted, you should check: https://www.khanacademy.org/math/differential-calculus/limits_topic/old-limits-tutorial/v/limit-examples--part-2.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by davros
Are you actually being taught the MEI syllabus by your teacher?

The method displayed in this question is basically showing you an example of "differentiation from first principles" which is something that all teachers should explain but unfortunately not all do, although not all the exam boards seem to test this!

Never got taught this, but I am kind of self teaching, and their are not many online (video) resources for MEI like their is for Edexcel.

Quick Reply

Latest