The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

What happens if you fail your KCL retake exams?

Do you get kicked out or move to the next year but retake the module?
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kenrepjm
Do you get kicked out or move to the next year but retake the module?

The rules are outlined in the CHAPTER 4: ASSESSMENT FOR TAUGHT PROGRAMMES and CHAPTER 5: PROGRESSION AND AWARD FOR TAUGHT PROGRAMMES in the King's Academic Manual.

A quick skim through the above suggest that in order to answer you question we'd need need to know:

How many modules are we talking about?
How many credits?
Core or non-core modules?
Which programme (degree)?
In which year?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The rules are outlined in the CHAPTER 4: ASSESSMENT FOR TAUGHT PROGRAMMES and CHAPTER 5: PROGRESSION AND AWARD FOR TAUGHT PROGRAMMES in the King's Academic Manual.

A quick skim through the above suggest that in order to answer you question we'd need need to know:

How many credits?
In which year?

I've had a skim through of the documents, thank you!

It's just one module, core and 15 credits. Degree is Economics and Management and I'm 1st year
Original post by kenrepjm
I've had a skim through of the documents, thank you!

It's just one module, core and 15 credits. Degree is Economics and Management and I'm 1st year

Understood. The fact that it's a core module is a shame, as it means that clause 5.7 "Compensated Credit (undergraduate and integrated masters, year one)" won't apply. (That could have meant being awarded 120 credits for year one having "attempted the assessments for all modules" but only having "achieved a pass mark in all core modules and in a minimum of 90 credits overall". But if you fail a core module, that doesn't apply. :frown:

However, it looks like 5.22 - 5.24 would apply:

"5.22. The minimum progression requirements for a full-time undergraduate degree programme are:
a. year one to year two: 90 credits passed at the pass mark, excluding modules that have been compensated.
b. year two to year three: 210 credits, which must include 90 credits passed with a pass mark in year two.
c. year three to year four: 330 credits, which must include 90 credits passed with a pass mark in year three.
5.23. Students who defer modules worth up to 30 credits will be able to progress on the condition they achieve a pass mark in the remaining 90-105 credits.
5.24. Outstanding deferred modules from year one must be attempted and passed or compensated before the end of Assessment Period 1 of year two for a student to progress to further years of study."

My reading of that is that at long as you have at least 90 credits at a pass mark (and you have 105) then you'd be allowed to progress to year two, but would be required to pass them "before the end of Assessment Period 1 of year two".

The fact that you're not talking about failing a modules, but failing the retake of a module, complicates matters somewhat and I believe 4.49 and 4.55 apply:

"4.49. Reassessment is at the discretion of the Assessment Sub-Board. Students will normally be offered one reassessment opportunity if they:
a. fail to obtain a qualifying mark in a module or module component; or
b. fail any module with a mark outside of the condonable range; or
c. fail to achieve a pass mark in a core module"

"4.55. Students will be offered one reassessment opportunity in failed core modules."

Has the retake happened yet? Did you fail, or is this a hypothetical question? Is there any chance you could make a successful claim of mitigating circumstances?
Reply 4
Understood. The fact that it's a core module is a shame, as it means that clause 5.7 "Compensated Credit (undergraduate and integrated masters, year one)" won't apply. (That could have meant being awarded 120 credits for year one having "attempted the assessments for all modules" but only having "achieved a pass mark in all core modules and in a minimum of 90 credits overall". But if you fail a core module, that doesn't apply. :frown:

However, it looks like 5.22 - 5.24 would apply:

"5.22. The minimum progression requirements for a full-time undergraduate degree programme are:
a. year one to year two: 90 credits passed at the pass mark, excluding modules that have been compensated.
b. year two to year three: 210 credits, which must include 90 credits passed with a pass mark in year two.
c. year three to year four: 330 credits, which must include 90 credits passed with a pass mark in year three.
5.23. Students who defer modules worth up to 30 credits will be able to progress on the condition they achieve a pass mark in the remaining 90-105 credits.
5.24. Outstanding deferred modules from year one must be attempted and passed or compensated before the end of Assessment Period 1 of year two for a student to progress to further years of study."

My reading of that is that at long as you have at least 90 credits at a pass mark (and you have 105) then you'd be allowed to progress to year two, but would be required to pass them "before the end of Assessment Period 1 of year two".

The fact that you're not talking about failing a modules, but failing the retake of a module, complicates matters somewhat and I believe 4.49 and 4.55 apply:

"4.49. Reassessment is at the discretion of the Assessment Sub-Board. Students will normally be offered one reassessment opportunity if they:
a. fail to obtain a qualifying mark in a module or module component; or
b. fail any module with a mark outside of the condonable range; or
c. fail to achieve a pass mark in a core module"

"4.55. Students will be offered one reassessment opportunity in failed core modules."

Has the retake happened yet? Did you fail, or is this a hypothetical question? Is there any chance you could make a successful claim of mitigating circumstances?

Thank you so much, it seems like there's quite a lot of conditions so I'm thinking of emailing someone at university who might know the direct answer.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that I have failed as I wasn't even able to attempt the minimum marks needed to pass so it's pretty certain. The retake takes place in August, I wouldn't mind but considering I didn't do well this time simply because I couldn't understand the content/material is a little nerve wracking, so I'm looking for something that may be able to indicate I can do the module next year. Thankfully, I have passed everything else as of present.
Reply 5
Hi,

can you please help me! I have just received my final result for my degree at kcl and I have failed a second year retake that I deferred to third year which means I can’t graduate.

its only one module and not a core one , it’s worth 15 credits at level 5 in second year.
I really would like to graduate this summer and need help urgently in helping to write an appeal. I also have extra time for a stomach condition that is worsened with stress which flared up during this exam. How can I appeal this? And what should I say in my appeal? And what will the process be if they don’t consider it ?

thank you for your help!
Original post by Iman2106
Hi,

can you please help me! I have just received my final result for my degree at kcl and I have failed a second year retake that I deferred to third year which means I can’t graduate.

its only one module and not a core one , it’s worth 15 credits at level 5 in second year.
I really would like to graduate this summer and need help urgently in helping to write an appeal. I also have extra time for a stomach condition that is worsened with stress which flared up during this exam. How can I appeal this? And what should I say in my appeal? And what will the process be if they don’t consider it ?

thank you for your help!

Have you read Chapter 7: Academic Support & Appeals in the King's Academic Manual?

I suggest you read it fully and carefully. Relevant provisions are that "Students should submit a Stage One Appeal Form within 15 working days of the release of ratified results." So the clock is ticking.

Did you inform them of the fact that your stomach condition has "worsened with stress which flared up during this exam"? If not, then you may have grounds for an appeal under clause 7.17a: "where there is evidence that assessment(s) may have been adversely affected by mitigating circumstances which they were unable, or for valid reasons unwilling, to make known before the original decision was reached;"

Also note that they list several reasons why they might reject an appeal, including "where the appeal is not made on the correct form, or the form is incomplete". For this reason (and others) it is extremely important that you get assistance with the appeal process from someone within the university. They will know the process, the correct form to use, to whom it must be submitted, by when, etc. etc.

You should also read their "How can I make an academic appeal?" page, here. Note that within the "Who can support me throughout the appeals process?" section it says "KCLSU Advice are highly experienced in advising students before and during the appeals process. They can accompany and/or represent you during a committee hearing." This is clearly the team to contact to help you through this.
Reply 7
Have you read Chapter 7: Academic Support & Appeals in the King's Academic Manual?

I suggest you read it fully and carefully. Relevant provisions are that "Students should submit a Stage One Appeal Form within 15 working days of the release of ratified results." So the clock is ticking.

Did you inform them of the fact that your stomach condition has "worsened with stress which flared up during this exam"? If not, then you may have grounds for an appeal under clause 7.17a: "where there is evidence that assessment(s) may have been adversely affected by mitigating circumstances which they were unable, or for valid reasons unwilling, to make known before the original decision was reached;"

Also note that they list several reasons why they might reject an appeal, including "where the appeal is not made on the correct form, or the form is incomplete". For this reason (and others) it is extremely important that you get assistance with the appeal process from someone within the university. They will know the process, the correct form to use, to whom it must be submitted, by when, etc. etc.

You should also read their "How can I make an academic appeal?" page, here. Note that within the "Who can support me throughout the appeals process?" section it says "KCLSU Advice are highly experienced in advising students before and during the appeals process. They can accompany and/or represent you during a committee hearing." This is clearly the team to contact to help you through this.

Thank you so much for your advice. I have had more helpful advice from you than the university this weekend. Do you think i have grounds for a condoned fail since I got a 38 which is within the condonable range and also my average grade is 68? How can i argue this? I have already submitted a personal letter to the sub-board committee to explain the flare up during the exam before i submit the appeal as i am gathering evidence.
Thank you so much for your advice. I have had more helpful advice from you than the university this weekend. Do you think i have grounds for a condoned fail since I got a 38 which is within the condonable range and also my average grade is 68? How can i argue this? I have already submitted a personal letter to the sub-board committee to explain the flare up during the exam before i submit the appeal as i am gathering evidence.

Because you jumped into someone else's thread to ask your original question, it's easy to get lost as to what information in this thread relates to the original questioner and what information relates to you. You said earlier that you have "failed a second year retake that I deferred to third year" and that "its only one module and not a core one , it’s worth 15 credits at level 5 in second year." What course are you studying? Which 15-credit module were you asked to retake?

As you'll have read in Chapter 5: Progression & Award for UG & PGT, the rules for condonement are outlined in 5.8 through 5.16 and apply, to "all undergraduate programmes, year two onwards". You will note that paragraph 5.10 says, "For non-core modules at level 5 and 6, condonement will normally be granted after the first attempt, where students have achieved a mark in the range of 1-39 inclusive." (my emphasis) This begs the obvious question - why did condonement not happen when you originally failed - i..e why was a resit required at all?

Did you obtain condonement for any other modules, and so exceed the 30-credit maximum for condonement? Or where there are special requirements for professional, statutory or regulatory bodies? (If so, condonement does not apply.) Or is there some other reason why condonement was not granted originally?

Is there any particular reason you "submitted a personal letter to the sub-board committee" rather than follow the actual process, using the correct form, as outlined in the links in post #7? Have you managed to contact KCLSU Advice yet?
Reply 9
Because you jumped into someone else's thread to ask your original question, it's easy to get lost as to what information in this thread relates to the original questioner and what information relates to you. You said earlier that you have "failed a second year retake that I deferred to third year" and that "its only one module and not a core one , it’s worth 15 credits at level 5 in second year." What course are you studying? Which 15-credit module were you asked to retake?

As you'll have read in Chapter 5: Progression & Award for UG & PGT, the rules for condonement are outlined in 5.8 through 5.16 and apply, to "all undergraduate programmes, year two onwards". You will note that paragraph 5.10 says, "For non-core modules at level 5 and 6, condonement will normally be granted after the first attempt, where students have achieved a mark in the range of 1-39 inclusive." (my emphasis) This begs the obvious question - why did condonement not happen when you originally failed - i..e why was a resit required at all?

Did you obtain condonement for any other modules, and so exceed the 30-credit maximum for condonement? Or where there are special requirements for professional, statutory or regulatory bodies? (If so, condonement does not apply.) Or is there some other reason why condonement was not granted originally?

Is there any particular reason you "submitted a personal letter to the sub-board committee" rather than follow the actual process, using the correct form, as outlined in the links in post #7? Have you managed to contact KCLSU Advice yet?

I am studying Religion, Politics and Society and was asked to retake Ethics, philosophy and literature in my second year as I received a 38. I am trying to also work out why I was not given a condonable fail at this stage as I have never failed another module. Do you think I should raise this in my letter?
My reason for submitting a personal letter was that I am waiting for my GP letter for evidence. This is a time sensitive issue and I wanted the sub board aware that I will be submitting my appeal when my evidence comes through. Everything is worth a try at the moment.

Unfortunately the KCLSU still haven’t replied to me and my virtual appointment with TRS has been cancelled until they know more information. Additionally my lecturer who marked the essay and my personal tutor are on research leave and unable to answer emails leaving me stuck for advice on my academic progression. As you can see, I am lost as to who to contact for help.
I am studying Religion, Politics and Society and was asked to retake Ethics, philosophy and literature in my second year as I received a 38. I am trying to also work out why I was not given a condonable fail at this stage as I have never failed another module. Do you think I should raise this in my letter?
My reason for submitting a personal letter was that I am waiting for my GP letter for evidence. This is a time sensitive issue and I wanted the sub board aware that I will be submitting my appeal when my evidence comes through. Everything is worth a try at the moment.

Unfortunately the KCLSU still haven’t replied to me and my virtual appointment with TRS has been cancelled until they know more information. Additionally my lecturer who marked the essay and my personal tutor are on research leave and unable to answer emails leaving me stuck for advice on my academic progression. As you can see, I am lost as to who to contact for help.

Thanks for confirming the course / module details. I can find no evidence to suggest that Ethics, Philosophy and Literature (module 5AAT2039) would not be eligible for condonement. It is not a core module for "Religion, Politics & Society BA" (UCAS code V621), and doesn't appear to be associated with the regulations for any professional, statutory or regulatory bodies. I think, therefore, that it would be worth asking why condonement was not an option, either originally or now.

You say that your virtual appointment with the Department of Theology & Religious Studies (which is what I assume you mean by "TRS") "has been cancelled until they know more information". Do you know what information they're waiting for? Do you know from whom they are expecting to receive that information?
Reply 11
Thanks for confirming the course / module details. I can find no evidence to suggest that Ethics, Philosophy and Literature (module 5AAT2039) would not be eligible for condonement. It is not a core module for "Religion, Politics & Society BA" (UCAS code V621), and doesn't appear to be associated with the regulations for any professional, statutory or regulatory bodies. I think, therefore, that it would be worth asking why condonement was not an option, either originally or now.

You say that your virtual appointment with the Department of Theology & Religious Studies (which is what I assume you mean by "TRS") "has been cancelled until they know more information". Do you know what information they're waiting for? Do you know from whom they are expecting to receive that information?

Thank you for confirming this, I will be adding a CF to my appeal. As for the KCLSU, I have emailed them asking the same question you have as I am unsure what information they are waiting for. It is a time-sensitive issue and I need guidance as soon as possible.

Today I received my GP's official medical certificate, do you think I need any more evidence to support my claim?
They have given me an option for reassessment in August but I have a scholarship offer for my masters in September that would be taken back if I have to delay my graduation to January. Can you see any solution to this? Or should i accept that I have to give up my scholarship? It's such devastating news for me.
Thank you for confirming this, I will be adding a CF to my appeal. As for the KCLSU, I have emailed them asking the same question you have as I am unsure what information they are waiting for. It is a time-sensitive issue and I need guidance as soon as possible.

You initially said "the KCLSU still haven’t replied to me" and that "my virtual appointment with TRS has been cancelled until they know more information". You know seems to be suggesting that it's the the KCLSU who have said they're waiting for information. Is this just a typo?

Today I received my GP's official medical certificate, do you think I need any more evidence to support my claim?

I don't know what information you need to support a claim, to be honest. You said earlier that "I also have extra time for a stomach condition that is worsened with stress which flared up during this exam." Does the medical certificate provide any evidence that this existing condition flared-up, and did so during the timescale of your exam? If it doesn't, then I'd imagine that they'd argue that the extra time you already receive should mitigate your existing stomach condition.

They have given me an option for reassessment in August but I have a scholarship offer for my masters in September that would be taken back if I have to delay my graduation to January. Can you see any solution to this? Or should i accept that I have to give up my scholarship? It's such devastating news for me.

If it were me, I'd respond quoting the specific points in their own Academic Regulations which make it clear that "condonement will normally be granted after the first attempt" in your circumstances, and asking why this hasn't happened. They could ultimately turn around and same "normally" doesn't mean "always", and that this is at the discretion of the Assessment Sub-Board. At which point, I'd be asking what criteria they use when deciding whether or not to apply that discretion. As on the face of it, 38% in one 15-credit module, when you have an average of 68%, is a prime candidate for condonement. I wouldn't give-up just yet.
Reply 13
You initially said "the KCLSU still haven’t replied to me" and that "my virtual appointment with TRS has been cancelled until they know more information". You know seems to be suggesting that it's the the KCLSU who have said they're waiting for information. Is this just a typo?

I don't know what information you need to support a claim, to be honest. You said earlier that "I also have extra time for a stomach condition that is worsened with stress which flared up during this exam." Does the medical certificate provide any evidence that this existing condition flared-up, and did so during the timescale of your exam? If it doesn't, then I'd imagine that they'd argue that the extra time you already receive should mitigate your existing stomach condition.

If it were me, I'd respond quoting the specific points in their own Academic Regulations which make it clear that "condonement will normally be granted after the first attempt" in your circumstances, and asking why this hasn't happened. They could ultimately turn around and same "normally" doesn't mean "always", and that this is at the discretion of the Assessment Sub-Board. At which point, I'd be asking what criteria they use when deciding whether or not to apply that discretion. As on the face of it, 38% in one 15-credit module, when you have an average of 68%, is a prime candidate for condonement. I wouldn't give-up just yet.

Hi, I just wanted to thank you for all your help in such a stressful situation. Thankfully my department found that my mark was mistakenly recorded as a fail in the central registry system. It was actually graded a pass in their department records from the external examiners and therefore when i raised the issue they discovered the mistake and corrected it on all documents throughout the central systems. This means I am graduating in July! I am so relieved beyond words.
Hi, I just wanted to thank you for all your help in such a stressful situation. Thankfully my department found that my mark was mistakenly recorded as a fail in the central registry system. It was actually graded a pass in their department records from the external examiners and therefore when i raised the issue they discovered the mistake and corrected it on all documents throughout the central systems. This means I am graduating in July! I am so relieved beyond words.

That's fantastic news! 😁
:party:

Well done for getting this sorted out.

How many credits?
In which year?

Hi,

can you please help me? I am a second year student and I deferred my exams to August due to mental health and family issues ,(so August exams are my first attempt) I got told yesterday that August exams will be my only attempt, if I don't pass 6 of my modules I won't be allowed to progress to year 3 and I will not be given a second attempt in September(which my schoolmates have done in year 1), I was given the understanding that everyone has 2 attempts for their exams, what should I do now?

thank you so much and looking forward to your reply😭😭
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

can you please help me? I am a second year student and I deferred my exams to August due to mental health and family issues ,(so August exams are my first attempt) I got told yesterday that August exams will be my only attempt, if I don't pass 6 of my modules I won't be allowed to progress to year 3 and I will not be given a second attempt in September(which my schoolmates have done in year 1), I was given the understanding that everyone has 2 attempts for their exams, what should I do now?

thank you so much and looking forward to your reply😭😭

Can you please confirm that you're at KCL too?

What process did you use to defer your exams? Did you complete a Mitigating Circumstances Form (MCF)?

You've say that "I will not be given a second attempt in September(which my schoolmates have done in year 1)". Do you know people who have had reassessments in September? I ask because KCL reassessments happen in Exam Period 3, which is in August. (This year it's Monday 7 August - Friday 18 August 2023.)

What process did you use to defer your exams? Did you complete a Mitigating Circumstances Form (MCF)?

You've say that "I will not be given a second attempt in September(which my schoolmates have done in year 1)". Do you know people who have had reassessments in September? I ask because KCL reassessments happen in Exam Period 3, which is in August. (This year it's Monday 7 August - Friday 18 August 2023.)

Hi, thank you so much for your reply

I am at KCL, I submitted MCF in May and they accepted it and I provided medical evidence, some of my friends took their second resit in September during year 1 (last year) meaning they did their exams in May, retook it in August,failed and took it again in September.

all of my module's exam takes place in period 2(May)
I deferred my exam to August because I was physically and mentally unable to attend, and now I am told that i only have 1 attempt in total, I don't really know what to do now...

thank you so much for your reply!

I am currently in year 2 now and progressing to year 3 in september, and I thought everyone in year 2 has 2 attempts in total, it seems like now by deferring you are automatically giving up your first attempt, they didn't tell me that by I didn't defer because I just feel like it, I provided medical evidence
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, thank you so much for your reply

I am at KCL, I submitted MCF in May and they accepted it and I provided medical evidence, some of my friends took their second resit in September during year 1 (last year) meaning they did their exams in May, retook it in August,failed and took it again in September.

all of my module's exam takes place in period 2(May)
I deferred my exam to August because I was physically and mentally unable to attend, and now I am told that i only have 1 attempt in total, I don't really know what to do now...

thank you so much for your reply!

Thank you for confirming those details. Can I suggest that you read CHAPTER 4: ASSESSMENT FOR TAUGHT PROGRAMMES, particularly the Reassessment section which begins at the bottom of page 26.

It clearly says:

"Undergraduate
4.55. Students will be offered one reassessment opportunity in failed core modules."

Note that it doesn't say "may" or "will normally"; it says "will". No caveats. No exceptions. Will.

Can I suggest that you contact them, quoting the above (including a reference to the PDF from which it comes) and politely ask they adhere to their own regulations or direct you to the regulation which describes the specific scenarios in which they may opt to nullify this clause.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest