The Student Room Group

Square root problem?

Has anyone found a way too find the square root without a calculator :argh:
Reply 1
If it's not an easy number to find the square root such as 9 or 36 then you could always use a trial-and-improvement method. Alternatively if you need to give your answer as a surd then that can be done by factorising the number in your head first.
Reply 2
Original post by CormacMcGowan

Where are you up to with your maths?

Things you could read about include the binomial expansion and the Newton Raphson method.

A simpler method is as follows.

e.g. 10=...?\sqrt{10}=...?

Guess 3.

10/3=3 1/3.

The mean of 3 and 3 1/3 is 3 1/6. That's a pretty good approximation already.
Reply 3
Original post by CormacMcGowan

There's an algorithm a bit like long division for working out square roots manually. I don't know if it has a name and I'm too lazy to type out the details now, but basically you start by pairing off the digits, estimating a square root for the 1st pair of digits (which is easy cos you're only looking at 00 - 99), then bringing down successive pairs of digits and trying to form a product (x + d) * d which is less than or equal to your "running total" and finding the maximum value of digit d for which this works!

It's a lot easier to do than to explain!
Do it in your head by estimating based on values you already know e.g & for root12 it is between 9 and 16 so will be around 3.5. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by davros
There's an algorithm a bit like long division for working out square roots manually. I don't know if it has a name and I'm too lazy to type out the details now, but basically you start by pairing off the digits, estimating a square root for the 1st pair of digits (which is easy cos you're only looking at 00 - 99), then bringing down successive pairs of digits and trying to form a product (x + d) * d which is less than or equal to your "running total" and finding the maximum value of digit d for which this works!

It's a lot easier to do than to explain!

Here is a worked example.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
Here is a worked example.

PRSOM

Excellent - I found it in a book over 30 years ago, no idea where, but hadn't seen it online before (not that I'd looked terribly hard).
Reply 7
Would you have seen it here?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trachtenberg-Speed-System-Basic-Mathematics/dp/0285629166

This is where I found it, but never understood it

See pages 197+
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Matureb
Would you have seen it here?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trachtenberg-Speed-System-Basic-Mathematics/dp/0285629166

This is where I found it, but never understood it

See pages 197+

It doesn't ring any bells, but it's possible as it was so long ago!

Local libraries used to contain hundreds of maths books - now you're lucky if they old more than about 15-20 :smile:
Reply 9
What's wrong with just using surds??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Physika
What's wrong with just using surds??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you may have missed the point of some of the posts (although it's not entirely clear what answer the OP was expecting anyway :smile: )
Reply 11
I get the point but it kind of obsolete don't you think I mean there is no point in fining the numerical answer because you will always have errors, for example root 2 is irrational and the only way of presenting it exactly would be root2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Physika
I get the point but it kind of obsolete don't you think I mean there is no point in fining the numerical answer because you will always have errors, for example root 2 is irrational and the only way of presenting it exactly would be root2

Posted from TSR Mobile

A numerical value is often useful and we can make it as accurate as necessary.

These days doing awkward calculations without a calculator or computer is just for fun. :tongue:
Reply 13
Honestly am a big fan of mental maths, but I hate the application of numerical methods such as the newton rap halon method which was mentioned before. Of course you can get as accurate as necessary but there will be a situation where even a 0.01% error could not be considered negligible so in my mind fractions and surds just work better for me. But that is just personal preference, and obviously 99% of the time numerical methods are perfectly acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Meant to say newton-raphson method. Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest