The Student Room Group

Are Joint honours considered worse than regular degrees?

My daughter is looking to study a joint, and I can't help but notice some people on various forums claiming that these are seen as inferior compared to regular degrees. Surely two subjects rolled up into one degree is harder work than a straight one? What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Some people might believe that if you study a joint course then you might not have the same depth of knowledge as someone who only studied one of those courses, but to be honest I haven't came across any negative perceptions of joint courses myself. Even if a select few think that they're inferior, it doesn't mean that they are - if your daughter likes the idea of a joint course then she should go for it!
Reply 2
I don't know how they are considered by others. Personally, I think a joint degree may be more work (depending on the combination), but I wouldn't recommend it for every subject combination. For example, I would only ever study straight Physics, or Maths with Physics, but not really any other subject combination with Physics, because you'd start lacking breadth.

What degree combination does she want to take?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by llys
I don't know how they are considered by others. Personally, I think a joint degree may be more work (depending on the combination), but I wouldn't recommend it for every subject combination. For example, I would only ever study straight Physics, or Maths with Physics, but not really any other subject combination with Physics, because you'd start lacking breadth.

What degree combination does she want to take?

It's not a very mainstream degree from what she's told me, I believe it's something along the lines of herbology & herbal medicine
Original post by 4.2.0
It's not a very mainstream degree from what she's told me, I believe it's something along the lines of herbology & herbal medicine

The most pertinent issue is that either degree is guff.
At my university joint majors didn't have to do a dissertation or any of the intense third year material that came with single majors, merely do the format of the second year twice but with different modules. In this sense I would argue that they're easier, however one must take into account the juggling the skillsets of two subjects, albeit (usually) overlapping ones.
Sometimes. Other times they're considered better as they impart a greater breadth of knowledge. It depends on the degree and who's looking at it. Most of the time, I don't think they're considered better or worse.

I think a degree in any kind of herbal medicine would be a mistake (many universities are closing down their quack medicine courses), but single/joint will probably be thought of equally.
Reply 7
Herbal Medicine is actually very interesting... given that many medicines used today originated from plants. In that sense it is like Pharmacy, but literally more "earthy" I guess. Has your daughter considered Pharmacy? I don't know how it is in England, but in my country you have to do Botany as part of Pharmacy, so she can take a Pharmacy degree in a Herbal Medicine direction later as well, but she could also other things with it.
Original post by 4.2.0
something along the lines of herbology & herbal medicine

that's a "joint degree" alright.
Reply 9
Original post by cambio wechsel
that's a "joint degree" alright.

drugs = BAD, my dear
Original post by 4.2.0
drugs = BAD, my dear

if you're packing your daughter off to do BA (hons) herbalism and witchcraft for nine grand a year then I defer to your drug-addled experience.
Reply 11
if you're packing your daughter off to do BA (hons) herbalism and witchcraft for nine grand a year then I defer to your drug-addled experience.

there is no need to be rude! F Y I, I had the same concerns when I first heard of the course but I phoned in with the witch doctor who teaches it and he's assured me it's nothing of the sort. No black magic at all!! just pure 100% herb

young man i think you need to GET off your high horse and start learning some manners, it's fine having an opinion but nothing sickens me more than someone who chooses to be nothing but nasty just because it's over the internet! you horrible child
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 4.2.0

There is seemingly no undergraduate course with that title.

The only accredited course in western as opposed to Chinese herbal medicine is at Lincoln delivered through Lincoln College.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ehpa/accreditation.htm

http://www.lincolncollege.ac.uk/courses/bsc-herbal-medicines

Most complimentary medicine courses are studied by mature students who on graduating intend to set up in practice.

Do you think your daughter is ready to go into business as a herbalist at 21 or 22?

The government is about to regulate herbalists

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Howweregulate/Medicines/Herbalmedicinesregulation/Unlicensedherbalmedicinessuppliedbyapractitionerfollowingaonetooneconsultation/

As such, there is no point in your daughter doing an unaccredited course. Whilst there may be exceptions from having recognised qualifications for those with 40 years experience, those exceptions will not extend to someone like your daughter. She needs a course with the appropriate accreditations.
Original post by nulli tertius
There is seemingly no undergraduate course with that title.

it's a gimmick account with every new thread making clunky reference to drug culture (here in the "joint" of joint honours).

See also:
What's you favourite bong? (For campanologists)
Need some help with Kush (For historians of ancient Africa)
it's a gimmick account with every new thread making clunky reference to drug culture (here in the "joint" of joint honours).

See also:
What's you favourite bong? (For campanologists)
Need some help with Kush (For historians of ancient Africa)

I was taken in.

I saw your joke and thought there was a reaction from a humourless parent
Reply 15
Lol can't anyone notice he's a stoner troll? This is quite a creative thread though
Original post by nulli tertius
I was taken in.

I saw your joke and thought there was a reaction from a humourless parent

But I hadn't gotten it either, and knew nothing of this poster until he began spamming my message wall in "revenge"(?) for the exchange above. A quick look at the user history revealed this as no concerned parent.

It seems we're not hip to it, daddio.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending