The Student Room Group

Number of Courses

hello! i’m about to start applying for uni asap and i have 2 degrees in mind. Sociology and media and communications. I would love to do both but i’m not sure if it will be good for me if that makes sense? should i stick to one degree or would i be okay doing both?
One degree definitely it might overwhelm u
Original post by taylorlawl
hello! i’m about to start applying for uni asap and i have 2 degrees in mind. Sociology and media and communications. I would love to do both but i’m not sure if it will be good for me if that makes sense? should i stick to one degree or would i be okay doing both?

I think you're underestimating the amount of work required for a degree. There are plenty of joint honours courses out there that cover both subjects:

https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate/bsc-hons-sociology-with-media-studies
https://www.hope.ac.uk/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/sociology/sociologyandmediacommunication/
(edited 5 months ago)

Hi there,

I would suggest doing one degree that relates to Sociology and Media, we offer a course Media, Society and Culture BA with optional year abroad. This would be a great balance between the two 🙂

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions!

Sumayyah
UK Student Recruitment Assistant
(Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience)

It's not possible to do two separate degrees simultaneously in the UK - universities have policies proscribing it and you won't get funding from SFE for two courses at the same time.

There are joint honours courses, which is a single degree programme where you study two (or sometimes more) subjects in equal measure. This will usually be about half as much of each subject as you'd do in a single honours degree (usually this is managed by having uni do all the core courses but having much more limited options to make way for the other half).

Note that you may well encounter some continental sociological theories in a media studies course anyway as they are influential theoretical frameworks for analysing media. If you're more interested in media production though that's kind of its own thing I gather.
I think the OP needs to clarify whether they mean is it a good idea to apply to two seperate subjects within their 5 choices, or whether they are considering a joint programme. As above, two simultaneously is a no-go.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
I think the OP needs to clarify whether they mean is it a good idea to apply to two seperate subjects within their 5 choices, or whether they are considering a joint programme. As above, two simultaneously is a no-go.

omg sorry yeah i mean like is it a good idea 😩
omg sorry yeah i mean like is it a good idea 😩

The main problem you would have is it wouldn't be possible to write a single personal stateement that covered both subjects well.

If you were only applying to one of the subjects once, then it may be worth asking that uni if they'd accept a statement submitted directly. They could say no though.

If you can't make your mind up between the subjects, a good way to think about it is to consider if you got offers back from both, which would you accept.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending