The Student Room Group

LSE/Oxford masters course entry requirements

I’m doing Philosophy and theology at Durham,

Would I be able to do a MPHIL in political theory at Oxford or the msc at the lse (provided I get the grades)
My degree is weird because it’s counted as joint honours, and has 50/50 in each.
The entry requirements say “a closely related subject like… philosophy…”
(I think it’s counted under the dept of theology… but is joint honours so I’m confused)
So I’m confused?
Would I be able to do this masters?

Before you tell me to ask admissions… what do you even say in that situation, surely it’s too small to even respond?

Would I be able to do a MPHIL in political theory at Oxford or the msc at the lse (provided I get the grades)
My degree is weird because it’s counted as joint honours, and has 50/50 in each.
(I think it’s counted under the dept of theology… but is joint honours so I’m confused)
So I’m confused?

Before you tell me to ask admissions… what do you even say in that situation, surely it’s too small to even respond?
Original post by Herhehebvehgeh

So I’m confused?

Possibly, it depend how many related modules they want to see at undergrad. Only they can tell you for certain which brings us to...

I work in postgrad admissions and can assure we get this kind of suitability question day in, day out. It's the most common kind of enquiry and no uni is going to be annoyed that your joint honours isn't covered by their public guidance.

"I'm considering submitting an application for XYZ and can see the entry requirement is XYZ. I am completing a joint honours degree and would be gratfeul if you could advise whether I'd be considered. Please find attached my interim transcript and a list of my final year modules.

Please let me know if any further information is required. Many thanks in advance."
Firstly, to answer your last question, no that's a completely normal question to ask. That would be a routine query they get.

Secondly to answer your first and main question, I would expect that a degree in philosophy and theology will be considered suitably equivalent to philosophy for the purposes of prerequisites, they will probably be more interested to see what you have done within that degree of relevance to the masters e.g. political and moral philosophy modules.

So I’m confused?

Probably. You'd have to make a good application and see if you were competitive.
Hi, I have merged your identical threads now. Please don't create multiple copies of the same thread in different forums!

I have also moved your thread to a more relevant forum :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending