The Student Room Group

Getting a C in maths

Hey, I've got my first maths exam on the 9th and stupidly I've left it this late to do revision. I've done alot of algebra in the past but pretty much nothing to do with geometry or shapes in general. Do I have time to learn enough to get at least a C? I'm doing the higher paper; I have a non-calculator exam on the 9th and a calculator one on the 13th. If you think it's possible any advice on achieving it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Firstly; breathe - I went from a D to an A* in the space of a month (roughly)

I will say the best method is using past papers. This means simply, completing a paper and using the solutions to understand where and why you went wrong on a particular question. If you understand it, you will be fine.

If you're performing at a D grade and want a C grade it stands to reason that you do the foundation paper, which will be much easier. A D-grade on a higher paper is almost certainly a C grade on a lower paper.

Good luck - any questions feel free
Check out the videos on this website: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/GCSE/period-1/Higher/module.php and watch the ones that are about the topics you struggle with. I guarantee if you watched and made notes on all of these videos (which you probably could do by the 9th if you wanted to) you will easily get a C if not higher.
Reply 3
Thanks guys. Those videos are really helpful, I'm working my way through them :biggrin:
Original post by HeyMate
Thanks guys. Those videos are really helpful, I'm working my way through them :biggrin:

No problem. I'm doing the exact same thing now as well but for A level :smile:
Original post by HeyMate
Hey, I've got my first maths exam on the 9th and stupidly I've left it this late to do revision. I've done alot of algebra in the past but pretty much nothing to do with geometry or shapes in general. Do I have time to learn enough to get at least a C? I'm doing the higher paper; I have a non-calculator exam on the 9th and a calculator one on the 13th. If you think it's possible any advice on achieving it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It's certainly possible, but you're going to need to put a fair amount of work in. Keep your head held high and:

- Do past papers (everyone else has said this too ikr)
- Revise the questions that you cannot answer.
- Keep doing this (a paper a day? More if you can) and make sure that you're understanding all of the methods to answer questions.
- If you have a CGP revision book or something, look through and revisit all of the topics that you are unfamiliar/not confident with. (Make sure that you're looking at topics relevant to your exam board:rolleyes:)

- Try to think about the maths, formulae and things that you've revised often to keep them fresh in your mind

PM me for more info if ya like, I'm up for helping
Reply 6
Okay thanks. Do you know if BBC bitesize is any good? I've been watching videos on other sites but they don't cover all the topics I need to know, but it seems bitesize has them.
Reply 7
Whatever works best for you.

Just work so hard.
Reply 8
Edit: Nevermind
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HeyMate

Thanks

I used to be in foundation and have moved into higher at the start of the year and I'm taking my exams on Monday and Friday (OCR) and I can honestly say it's much easier to get a C in higher than foundation.

In foundation you need to get 70% whereas in higher it's more like 50/60% ish, to get a B with the current boundaries you can drop 20 marks in each paper so technically you can get a B with 160/200 which isnt too bad. Do as many past papers as possible and if you have a textbook or revision guide USE IT!! Also YouTube have some good videos where they explain stuff really well!! Good luck!!
Original post by HeyMate

Thanks
I think it's possible :yep:

i'd maybe use a revision guide, class notes, workbook, textbook etc

If that doesn't work for you try videos like exam solutions or m4ths :smile:

Then do past papers (aim for 3/4 at least) in timed conditions. Mark them and make a list of questions you weren't so sure on/didn't get right and revise those topics :smile:
does anyone know what topics will be in the non calculator exam, that i should revise for ..

Reply 12
Original post by lailakhan
does anyone know what topics will be in the non calculator exam, that i should revise for ..

Hey man, I'm not an expert but what I've been doing is going through videos of teachers doing past exam papers (making sure they are ones by the exam board you are doing) which is giving me an idea what the questions are going to be like.

Quick Reply

Latest