The Student Room Group

Gcse maths is too hard

I think I'm gonna fail my gcse maths exam, I only take 5 subjects-maths, business studies, English, economics and art. I'm doing quite well in all the other 4 but maths is just way out of my reach. Will I still be able to move forward to as/a levels if I get an E in my math exam? I'm not planning to continue with math so I always thought it wouldn't be a big deal but I recently heard that you need atleast 5gcse subjects with C and above to qualify for a/as levels
Yes, that is correct. You also need to pass maths at grade C/4 regardless of whether you are doing A Levels or not, or a functional skills qualification.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hannychica
Yes, that is correct. You also need to pass maths at grade C/4 regardless of whether you are doing A Levels or not, or a functional skills qualification.

Wait what my maths teacher said 70/200 is a pass. I really really cannot get a C since The core and extended syllabus is way too difficult for me
Original post by She.khuu
Wait what my maths teacher said 70/200 is a pass. I really really cannot get a C since The core and extended syllabus is way too difficult for me

It’s a government requirement to get a C (or a 4) in both English and maths. If you do not get a C you have to resit until you pass, or until you turn 18.

If you expect to get an E (or a 2) you can take a functional skills qualification as an alternative. But many sixth forms and colleges will expect you to have grade C maths in order to do A Levels, even if you are not studying it at A Level. And you will be expected to resit if you are planning to attend university.
Reply 4
Original post by hannychica

hey, is it possible if I get in to A levels and then take my math gcse?
Reply 5
(Original post by Inara_)hey, is it possible if I get in to A levels and then take my math gcse?

check with the college you want to go to. Some let you resit your maths gcse whilst starting off with your chosen A Levels but it really depends on how popular the college is. Send an email and ask is alls you can do.
Reply 6
Original post by Zebhare
(Original post by Inara_)hey, is it possible if I get in to A levels and then take my math gcse?

check with the college you want to go to. Some let you resit your maths gcse whilst starting off with your chosen A Levels but it really depends on how popular the college is. Send an email and ask is alls you can do.

Great tnx

Quick Reply

Latest