The Student Room Group

economics degree

to do econ in uni can u take core maths
Original post by hafsaaaaaaaaa

I mean you would be much better off taking A level maths as it will open doors to more unis for you!

You can take core maths as it will only add value to your application if u hvnt taken A level maths

Anyways, why are you not taking A level maths? Is it because you didnt get the required gcse grade for it?
Reply 2
Original post by Shubham9548
I mean you would be much better off taking A level maths as it will open doors to more unis for you!

You can take core maths as it will only add value to your application if u hvnt taken A level maths

Anyways, why are you not taking A level maths? Is it because you didnt get the required gcse grade for it?

i dont have my gcse grade yet but im predicted a 6. i js dont think ill be able to keep up w it
i dont have my gcse grade yet but im predicted a 6. i js dont think ill be able to keep up w it

What are your other A level subjects?
Reply 4
Original post by Shubham9548
What are your other A level subjects?

history and sociology. i might take maths depending on my grade

You wouldn't be able to apply to any economics degrees requiring A-level Maths, although it might be useful preparation for those that don't require A-level Maths.

If you don't do well in maths, why are you considering an economics degree? They're necessarily mathematical and you would use maths throughout the course. It's not an essay based subject at degree level generally.

There's also nothing that an economics degree specifically gives you as an option after graduating that any other degree won't, except for specific roles in economic policy with the civil service, NGOs, central banks and the like, which likewise would require you to be good enough at maths to use it every day as part of your job.

If you just want to go into investment banking/accounting/etc and do GCSE level maths in excel all day long, you can do literally any degree subject.
history and sociology. i might take maths depending on my grade

Just wanna say that if you are like a C grade student, you will be applying to unis which require B's and C's. For those unis, you can get away by taking core maths and not A level maths eg Aston needs BBC (including core maths or epq)

However, if you think you are able to achieve AAB or even ABB, then you are likely gonna apply to unis which need that grade and for those unis you will need A level maths.

So if you think you cant achieve above a C, then its ok to not take A level maths. However if you think by working hard you can get ABB then you should consider taking A level maths.
And I guess you know that the better the uni is, there is an increased chance of earning more. Stats do show that.

I hope this clarifies. Any other doubt? Just ask without hesitation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending