The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Fitting in at Bristol University

Hello :smile: Im from the north and have never been privately educated, will i be accepted? I just don't want students to look down on me
Reply 1
Well for one thing you should consider attending some elocution lessons during the summer. There are some reasonably priced teachers located in the North if you search google.

Also don't even think about discussing politics if you have previously supported any party other than the conservatives. Private schoolers hate communists.

All jokes aside, private schoolers will be just like you except they paid for their education. If they 'look down on you' which is highly unlikely, then associate with some new people. People aren't defined by their education.
(edited 9 years ago)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Act like a rah as best u can to fit in lol.
Reply 3
First of all people will treat you how you allow the to treat you... Secondly and most importantly, people are people... You will have some things in common with them and other things... Nt so much... Everyone will have insecurities about an abundance of things... Simply put your best foot forward and be yourself... As they say water finds it's own level and soon enough you will find and click with people at Bristol who share similar interests... GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!
Original post by studentriz
Hello :smile: Im from the north and have never been privately educated, will i be accepted? I just don't want students to look down on me

Of course you will! I don't think it's all as segregated as you expect, I'm from london and most people aren't friends exclusively with state schoolers if they go to a state school OR private schoolers if they're private school kids, I have friends at both. Honestly I don't think being from the North will be a factor either, some people are more snobby than others but as others have said, they're just not nice and avoid them. I think if anything people should respect you for getting into Bristol when they probably had more support and spoon-feeding at private school than you! I would anyway :smile:
Reply 5
My sister's in her 3rd yr at Bristol and she says a couple of people laughed at her accent in the first term, but not as much as she's laughed at theirs, and that's about it. And the most southern person in her flat in first year was from Birmingham, so you're not gonna be alone. I'm proud to be northern and I don't plan on taking any **** from southerners for it. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending